• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This is why Bryce Young undoubtedly is QB1

Ivory Panther

3 minutes ago, Panther'sBigD said:

What other small, blue chip QBs, with similar measurables to Bryce Young, didn't make it through their first few years in the NFL?

People talking about his size being an issue as if there's some mountain of evidence of this, when it all boils down to most of you just repeating what you've heard others say. 

Who had similar measurables? 

• Pie 3

2 minutes ago, Panther'sBigD said:

What other small, blue chip QBs, with similar measurables to Bryce Young, didn't make it through their first few years in the NFL?

People talking about his size being an issue as if there's some mountain of evidence of this, when it all boils down to most of you just repeating what you've heard others say. 

Name me a single QB of his frame that has had a successful NFL career?

I'll help you out.... there hasn't been a single one

Don't give me Wilson or Brees, they're significantly stockier built guys

Don't give me Kyler as he also is stockier (particularly his lower body) and his game is more predicated on his running ability.  Also jury is still very much out as to how is career is going to turn out, it was looking questionable last year before he got hurt as is.

Again, as it's been stated ad nauseam, it's less about his height as much as it is about his frame, it's not built to last in the NFL at that position.  If we draft him, we have to win a SB on his rookie contract as I don't see him making it through a second contract as an elite QB.

And if that's the case, I'd much rather take someone who is only a marginally lesser prospect in Stroud, but is more likely to have a career twice as long.

• Pie 6
  • Poo 1

Just now, Wolfcop said:

Who had similar measurables? 

Exactly. So you're saying that all of these idiots think that a guy who dominated in the SEC, against the best college competition, is going to have trouble in the NFL because he's small? Based on what data? That's some Matt Rhule analytics nonsense. 

BTW, Drew Brees played at like 15-20 lbs heavier and he turned out all right. 

Just now, Panther'sBigD said:

The closest thing is Kyler who is the same height with a larger frame, but can't stay healthy.  I don't think there has ever been a 5'10" 185 QB start for that long in this league....  We were concerned about Tyler Heinicke's stature and he is 6'1" 210 and has been injured several times already.  

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, tukafan21 said:

Name me a single QB of his frame that has had a successful NFL career?

I'll help you out.... there hasn't been a single one

Don't give me Wilson or Brees, they're significantly stockier built guys

Don't give me Kyler as he also is stockier (particularly his lower body) and his game is more predicated on his running ability.  Also jury is still very much out as to how is career is going to turn out, it was looking questionable last year before he got hurt as is.

Again, as it's been stated ad nauseam, it's less about his height as much as it is about his frame, it's not built to last in the NFL at that position.  If we draft him, we have to win a SB on his rookie contract as I don't see him making it through a second contract as an elite QB.

And if that's the case, I'd much rather take someone who is only a marginally lesser prospect in Stroud, but is more likely to have a career twice as long.

Not only that  drew was 6ft and Russell was 5ft12

7 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Yea, and Cam took a ton of hits, both legal and illegal, in college and in the NFL, and his body still broke down in less than 10 years even though he was bigger than most of the defenders hitting him.

It's not a matter of being concerned about Young breaking down in his first year or two, it's how is his body going to last after 5, 6, 7, 8, etc years in the league?

He doesn't have a frame that is built to last, I'd rather have the guy who could play 12-15 years than the guy I can't see even making it to year 5 without missing significant chunks of time.

Ok, so u can tell me with certainty that CJ will last longer than Bryce?

if not, then u r still taking a chance. 

5 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Did he not injure his throwing should last year?  

Didn’t say he is invincible lol. What the shoulder due to lack of size?

he missed 1 game.

quinton Ewers injured his shoulder last yr missing more games than Bryce.

but at this point, if u don’t want Bryce, for size & such, I respect that. I don’t have any concerns there. 

3 minutes ago, Panther'sBigD said:

Exactly. So you're saying that all of these idiots think that a guy who dominated in the SEC, against the best college competition, is going to have trouble in the NFL because he's small? Based on what data? That's some Matt Rhule analytics nonsense. 

BTW, Drew Brees played at like 15-20 lbs heavier and he turned out all right. 

Who was the best defense Young played last year?

Also he has a completely different playing style than Brees.  Stroud molded his style after Brees.  

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

19 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

His mental game is the only reason I'd be accepting of him if we draft him over Stroud.

Heard recently that a lot of times they would give him 2 plays to call in the huddle and then he would choose which play is run at the line of scrimmage.  That's not normal in college, normally at that level the whole offense is looking at the sideline and they signal in which play is being run.

I do love that about him.

But I still go back to... it doesn't matter how smart he is or how well he can throw the ball, if he can't stay on the field it doesn't matter, and I very much struggle to see his frame holding up over a long NFL career.

What makes his mental game better than Stroud? 

The OSU coaches have said he is one of the best they have ever coached in terms of intelligence.  https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2022/08/132400/cj-strouds-football-intelligence-mastery-of-ohio-state-offense-impressing-coaches

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 1

Just now, Ivory Panther said:

Ok, so u can tell me with certainty that CJ will last longer than Bryce?

if not, then u r still taking a chance. 

Didn’t say he is invincible lol. What the shoulder due to lack of size?

he missed 1 game.

quinton Ewers injured his shoulder last yr missing more games than Bryce.

but at this point, if u don’t want Bryce, for size & such, I respect that. I don’t have any concerns there. 

https://www.on3.com/college/alabama-crimson-tide/news/espn-reveals-incredible-details-about-bryce-young-shoulder-recovery-medical-machines-stim-unit/

Yeah he missed 1 out of 13 and played injured through several more.  Just be careful with throwing shoulder injuries.

Again he checks a TON of boxes, the injury concerns are legit though...

6 minutes ago, OneBadCat said:

I guess the coaching staff needs to weigh how much they can get CJ coached up to Bryce’s level between the ears. 

Sounds to me as great as Bryce is, he is close to his peak performance right now. CJ is not. 

Explain how he is close to his peak? What’s Bryce’s ceiling?

also ppl act like anything can be coached up. If that was the case, every QB would always get better & be QB1. 

Reich thought he could coach up Wentz in indy, that decision got him fired basically…

• Pie 1