• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This is why Bryce Young undoubtedly is QB1

Ivory Panther

1 hour ago, tukafan21 said:

His mental game is the only reason I'd be accepting of him if we draft him over Stroud.

Heard recently that a lot of times they would give him 2 plays to call in the huddle and then he would choose which play is run at the line of scrimmage.  That's not normal in college, normally at that level the whole offense is looking at the sideline and they signal in which play is being run.

I do love that about him.

But I still go back to... it doesn't matter how smart he is or how well he can throw the ball, if he can't stay on the field it doesn't matter, and I very much struggle to see his frame holding up over a long NFL career.

We’re talking about an inch and a few pounds man. It’s not a problem. He played in the SEC. Cam was huge and struggled with injuries at the end. Burrow has been banged up. Josh Allen and Herbert were banged up this year. It’s football players get fuging hurt. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

I think that's exactly why this fan base is concerned over Young's size.

If Cam broke down in the manner he did, why do we want to draft someone 7" and 50 lbs smaller and hope he'll hold up for 10+ years?

I don't think a single person has ever argued that Stroud is going to stay healthier because of his size, it's the other way around, it's just the concern over Young not being able to because of his size.

Those are two VERY different arguments

It’s clearly a style of play and skills issue, not just size. Sure, if Cam was Young’s size and played the way he played, he probably would have gotten injured more. Young does not play the way Cam played, and he is much better at manipulating the pocket. Cam was one of those stand tall and deliver the ball even if you take the hit QBs. A lot of the bigger QBs seem like they take more big hits than necessary just because they know they can. Maybe it’s just as valuable to have a smaller QB who avoids the big hits because he knows he can’t take them.

Look at how he plays, not his size. If he’s taking too many big hits, that’s a problem no matter how big he is.

6 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

Russell Wilson. Drew Brees. Kyler Murray. 

The difference of size in Mahomes/Rodgers and Brees is very close to the difference in Brees and Young.  About 2 inches and 15 pounds.  Doesn't seem like much but it is definitely something to think about.

Just now, ForJimmy said:

Maybe.  If Tepper is saying he wants Young it might not matter that they say?

Maybe. But I would hope he would at least listen to medical professionals even if he didn't listen to nobody else.

As for Young's shoulder, everything I've read said it was just a sprain and nothing serious. Could Alabama have hidden something? Yep. Did they? Who knows? All I know is that Young did play fine the rest of the season after the one missed game. So, I'm not worried about any injuries.

• Pie 1

Just now, jayboogieman said:

Maybe. But I would hope he would at least listen to medical professionals even if he didn't listen to nobody else.

As for Young's shoulder, everything I've read said it was just a sprain and nothing serious. Could Alabama have hidden something? Yep. Did they? Who knows? All I know is that Young did play fine the rest of the season after the one missed game. So, I'm not worried about any injuries.

No I don't think there was any long term damage in the hit.  He just may need to alter his game a bit to take less hits in the NFL, but what college QB doesn't have to change the way they play at the next level.

• Pie 1

Stroud has the frame for 220lbs. He is a prototype at 6’3”. Young does not have that frame. He will be playing 190-200lbs at 5’10”. It just is what it is. I’m not arguing for either one at this point. Be happy with either. But acting like size/weight is not a concern is stupid. 

• Pie 3

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

No I don't think there was any long term damage in the hit.  He just may need to alter his game a bit to take less hits in the NFL, but what college QB doesn't have to change the way they play at the next level.

Desmond Watson when he comes out?

d1560511-ce23-4b66-9546-7610401a3a4c-FLG

That's one huge dude

5 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

That poor player is questioning his life choices as that beast of a man is grabbing him.....

Watson will hopefully make a terrific nose tackle in the NFL that's if his weight doesn't destroy his body. Dude weighs 435 or so.

Edited by jayboogieman

I just don't get the using Cam's injury as an argument in favor of a smaller frame QB. If anything it has the opposite effect on your argument. Cam is still very much the rushing threat now as he was a few years ago. What QB in the last twenty years has significantly more rushing attempts than him? He is the all time leader in rushing attempts and rushing TD's. He held up through that. If he were sub 6 foot and 200 pounds soaking wet he would have been on IR his rookie year. That hopium has some folks making rationalizations that make no sense.