• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers sign Chark

Panthers316

1 minute ago, ladypanther said:

A stud TE makes all the diff IMO.  Where would KC be without Kelce?  Shockey and Olsen were so good for this team made me wonder why we never tried to do that again.  Get stud TE's, it makes the receiver room better and you never have to pay top dollar for a receiver...plug and play.

Im of the opinion if the TE is the Clear BPA, 100% draft him. One rule that teams always break and pay dearly for is not going BPA. The NFL is a year-2-year league for most of the players. Always go BPA unless its the rare QB, even then washington many moons ago drafted RG3 second overall and had some QB with a first round grade sitting there in the 4th round......guess who was the better QB and guess who is still in the league among the the top 5 via stats years after RG dropped out of the league. 

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

A stud TE makes all the diff IMO.  Where would KC be without Kelce?  Shockey and Olsen were so good for this team made me wonder why we never tried to do that again.  Get stud TE's, it makes the receiver room better and you never have to pay top dollar for a receiver...plug and play.

Bingo!!! I loved Olsen and Shockey when they paired up back in the day.

Now that was a duo for the ages. However, it is often hard to find one really good TE, must less two.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Im of the opinion if the TE is the Clear BPA, 100% draft him. One rule that teams always break and pay dearly for is not going BPA. The NFL is a year-2-year league for most of the players. Always go BPA unless its the rare QB, even then washington many moons ago drafted RG3 second overall and had some QB with a first round grade sitting there in the 4th round......guess who was the better QB and guess who is still in the league among the the top 5 via stats years after RG dropped out of the league. 

If, at that spot (whatever it is) TE is not BPA...and you are wanting one...then trade down.  I am just saying that I believe it is a very valuable position.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, KatsAzz said:

Bingo!!! I loved Olsen and Shockey when they paired up back in the day.

Now that was a duo for the ages. However, it is often hard to find one really good TE, must less two.

We now have one...draft could bring #2...learning curve for sure but start that now if the right guy is there.  Also a factor is what things look like for next year.  Have only heard ppl say that this year is a very good yr for TEs.

• Pie 3

6 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

If, at that spot (whatever it is) TE is not BPA...and you are wanting one...then trade down.  I am just saying that I believe it is a very valuable position.

I agree with TE being valuable, for me the NFL vastly undervalues it. They are understanding as time passes. For me its about controlling the middle of the field, between grass at the numbers. TE can block, catch, and control the middle. 

Personally Id vastly over pay to have 2 TEs that were duel threats on the team. No defense would know if Im running or passing. 

Edited by Basbear
  • Pie 2

17 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

Also a good outlet (safe throw, more than outlet) for a young QB.  With Hurst and a stud TE, we could throw many looks at a Defense, causing them matchup problems. 

• Beer 3

13 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

We now have one...draft could bring #2...learning curve for sure but start that now if the right guy is there.  Also a factor is what things look like for next year.  Have only heard ppl say that this year is a very good yr for TEs.

I really like TE Bill Musgrave Oregan state 6-6 250 4.56 40

Prospect Summary

Luke Musgrave NFL Draft Scouting Report

TE, Oregon State Beavers

Tight end Luke Musgrave was a consensus three-star recruit and top-five-rated player in the state of Oregon. He spent time in high school at the defensive end and wide receiver positions in addition to tight end. Musgrave was a multi-sport athlete. Along with football, he participated in, lacrosse, ski racing, and track. This provides context to the plus athleticism that Musgrave possesses. NFL football runs through Musgrave’s bloodline. His uncle, Bill Musgrave, is the current offensive coordinator for the Denver Broncos. Also, he played quarterback in the NFL from 1991-1998 for multiple teams.

Musgrave brings a big, athletic option in the passing game to an offense. Musgrave is alignment-fluid and versatile. If your offense wants to place him in-line as a traditional Y-tight end or split him into the slot, he can operate both well. As a pass-catcher, Musgrave has secure and reliable hands. He tracks the ball well and attacks it at the highest point.

He is an adequate route-runner. He is at his best threatening vertically up the seams or across the field on benders (over route). If unimpeded, Musgrave’s speed can become a problem for linebackers. In the run game, he is a competitive blocker that gives maximum effort. Musgrave is more of a wall-off and seal blocker than a displacer. He does a good job using the defender’s momentum against them to cut them off from the ball carrier. As a result, he sells blocks well on TE leak or delay calls, allowing him to sneak past second and even third-level defenders downfield.

Musgrave is a tremendous athlete and should test well this draft season. I do not see an overly explosive player on the field. He gallops and needs free releases to hit that top gear. When faced with physical coverage and resistance, Musgrave struggled to create separation on his routes. He does not play through contact well enough during his route stems. He can be impeded and slowed down if defenders can get their hands on him early in routes. His average play strength shows up in blocking sequences.

Musgrave is not a uber-physical blocker—do not expect him to displace defenders. Also, he attempts to engage blocks with high hips and pad level. This limits his overall effectiveness as a man or gap scheme run blocker. Although Musgrave is versatile to align inline or detached, I believe his best reps come when he is in-line.

As an NFL tight end, I envision Musgrave as a TE2 early in his career with the potential to develop into a starter. His value in the red zone is enticing. He can operate out of 12-personnel packages with two tight ends that can either use the pass or run game to move the football. Musgrave can stand to improve his play strength and defeat physical coverage quicker since time in the NFL is shorter for quarterbacks.

Top Reasons to Buy In:

• An exciting blend of size and athleticism
  • Developmental upside
  • Seam and red-zone threat
  • Pie 1

1 minute ago, KatsAzz said:

I really like TE Bill Musgrave Oregan state 6-6 250 4.56 40

Prospect Summary

Luke Musgrave NFL Draft Scouting Report

TE, Oregon State Beavers

Tight end Luke Musgrave was a consensus three-star recruit and top-five-rated player in the state of Oregon. He spent time in high school at the defensive end and wide receiver positions in addition to tight end. Musgrave was a multi-sport athlete. Along with football, he participated in, lacrosse, ski racing, and track. This provides context to the plus athleticism that Musgrave possesses. NFL football runs through Musgrave’s bloodline. His uncle, Bill Musgrave, is the current offensive coordinator for the Denver Broncos. Also, he played quarterback in the NFL from 1991-1998 for multiple teams.

Musgrave brings a big, athletic option in the passing game to an offense. Musgrave is alignment-fluid and versatile. If your offense wants to place him in-line as a traditional Y-tight end or split him into the slot, he can operate both well. As a pass-catcher, Musgrave has secure and reliable hands. He tracks the ball well and attacks it at the highest point.

He is an adequate route-runner. He is at his best threatening vertically up the seams or across the field on benders (over route). If unimpeded, Musgrave’s speed can become a problem for linebackers. In the run game, he is a competitive blocker that gives maximum effort. Musgrave is more of a wall-off and seal blocker than a displacer. He does a good job using the defender’s momentum against them to cut them off from the ball carrier. As a result, he sells blocks well on TE leak or delay calls, allowing him to sneak past second and even third-level defenders downfield.

Musgrave is a tremendous athlete and should test well this draft season. I do not see an overly explosive player on the field. He gallops and needs free releases to hit that top gear. When faced with physical coverage and resistance, Musgrave struggled to create separation on his routes. He does not play through contact well enough during his route stems. He can be impeded and slowed down if defenders can get their hands on him early in routes. His average play strength shows up in blocking sequences.

Musgrave is not a uber-physical blocker—do not expect him to displace defenders. Also, he attempts to engage blocks with high hips and pad level. This limits his overall effectiveness as a man or gap scheme run blocker. Although Musgrave is versatile to align inline or detached, I believe his best reps come when he is in-line.

As an NFL tight end, I envision Musgrave as a TE2 early in his career with the potential to develop into a starter. His value in the red zone is enticing. He can operate out of 12-personnel packages with two tight ends that can either use the pass or run game to move the football. Musgrave can stand to improve his play strength and defeat physical coverage quicker since time in the NFL is shorter for quarterbacks.

Top Reasons to Buy In:

• An exciting blend of size and athleticism
  • Developmental upside
  • Seam and red-zone threat

Where is he projected?

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We'll see. "Winning" the off-season oftentimes doesn't translate to winning on the field.

I'm hopeful but I'm not crowning anybody just yet. It all ultimately comes down to how well this QB selection pans out. These guys have hitched their wagon to this pick with that trade.

Sure, there is some validity to that. However, not once during Rhule's tenure did I feel any optimism whatsoever during the offseason. All these moves don't necessarily translate to wins when it matters, but that being said, the fact they are doing a complete overhaul like this shows they aren't ok with the mediocrity (at best) that has been put on display the last few years which has been one of my biggest pain points. 

They see the issues we all see and are doing everything they can to address them in one year.

... and that puts us 6 years ahead of Jay Z's timeline.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, WestPanthers said:

Don't think they will go for the TE since we already have 4 TE (Sullivan) on the Roster.

Always go for the highest paid position first to select BPA players for rookies contract. (DE, DT, WR, CB)

Ricci, sullivan, and even tremble/thomas are not good enough to pass up TE. 

Honestly neither is hurst.

• Pie 1