• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Just a quick thought about Young & Stroud (spurred by Huddle Frank, not Reich)

top dawg

I kind of chuckled to myself when @frankw intimated that I'm a believer in Bryce Young.

As some of y'all should know, I am a Georgia alum. As such, I have my feelings about Bryce Young and C.J. Stroud based them being in the way of the Bulldogs these respective last couple of years. 

I can tell you that during the last couple of seasons, I was scared that Bryce Young would absolutely spoil my championship party. He carved my Bulldogs up during the SEC championship in the '21 season. Sure, we got the best of him in the championship game, but it wasn't easy, and I was on pins and needles every time he had the ball in his hands. If Jameson Williams had been healthy, who knows if we would've won? Moreover, I breathed a sigh of relief when Bama didn't make the playoffs this past season. It's hard to beat Bama and a QB like Young twice in a season. I just knew that we'd walk to a championship now that they were out. "Hallelujah!" Enter Stroud.

Man, you talking about being scared. Stroud could hardly do know wrong in the semifinal. You talking about going from a mental coronation--enjoying the cakewalk through the Buckeyes who really shouldn't have gotten by Michigan--to just being fearful of a possessed Stroud who was on a mission to flip the Dawgs' script. I was just sure that we had lost until we stopped them that last time (I was almost 100 percent sure Bennett would get it done if we had the ball last, which he did). And, of course, who knows if we had one if Marvin Harrison Jr. had been available? But, at the end of the day, we did just enough, really like the season before.

So, yeah, the way I figure it, how can I not be a believer in them both? I don't give a sh¡t about Young's size. I don't give a sh¡t that Stroud may not be as good off script or is not an improvisation god. I've seen what they both can do. Both of them made me scared that I wasn't going to see a championship the last two seasons (for different reasons, maybe, but they still did it). I am a believer in both,l and I believe that everyone should be.

• Pie 7

I honestly think there's a decent chance both QBs wind up being rock solid franchise guys. Stroud is a bit of a safer pick but he still has insane upside too. They're just different, both are great prospects and you can't go wrong with either here. Time will likely reveal one to be better than the other but that will also be dependent on the situations they land in.

If they go 1 and 2 whoever we take is in a much better spot to start his career than whoever Houston gets. I can see us getting Stroud and him getting close to Burrow level in the situation we have here, although his stats may not look quite as good without us having elite starting wideouts right now. And with that I can see Houston getting Young and him being a better version of Kyler, who many forget was in the MVP conversation for half a season 2 years ago. 

• Pie 1

I want Stroud because I think he's a better passer and has the size to be a franchise QB for a decade. I've seen Young play several times and love his game, but at the college level. I have my doubts that with his slight frame that he will stay healthy. Having said that, I want whoever the staff finally decides on and am not going to be disappointed in whoever gets called. I'm just excited we put ourselves in a position to get one of these two.

• Pie 2

Glad to see you being honest with yourself about both guys. I have friends who are SEC supporters (UGA and BAMA) respectively and both are glaringly biased with who they feel we should draft simply because one worships the ground any Bama player walks on and the other is still butt hurt about me bringing up the fact that Stroud was one of the many reasons they shouldn’t have been in the Natty if it weren’t for that missed kick. 

There’s only one guy that’s consistently described as “special “ and “different”.

That’s who you take. 

Injuries will happen. Burrow tore rib cartilage at Lsu and blew a knee out in 2020. Don’t overthink it, Don’t fug it up. Take the consensus best player and live with the results.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, Mills said:

There’s only one guy that’s consistently described as “special “ and “different”.

That’s who you take. 

Injuries will happen. Burrow tore rib cartilage at Lsu and blew a knee out in 2020. Don’t overthink it, Don’t fug it up. Take the consensus best player and live with the results.

Not overthinking a close evaluation of a 180 lb QB with not the strongest arm. 

12 minutes ago, Wolfcop said:

Not overthinking a close evaluation of a 180 lb QB with not the strongest arm. 

Yep and there are 17 regular season games in the NFL, not the what, 10 for college 

as I read somewhere, Young is very good at alluding DEs but the team that takes him has to have a strong and stable  interior 

I don’t know. I like them both but the NFL is tedious in an athlete’s body.  I’d go for the bigger guy between these two.  

• Pie 3