• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How to use Luvu and Chinn

MHS831

4 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

You're asking a lot of this crowd

I have high expectations.  I feel that any day, someone will break through with a solid, sound, substantial idea.  I know that day might never come--some call me a dreamer--but I believe in the Huddle--except the Huddler, ironically.😃

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

How the Panthers plan to use Luvu is of interest to me, and I am hoping that some Huddler not addicted to someone else's prescription drugs can help.  At WSU, Luvu played both LB and Edge.  Since then, he has excelled here in Charlotte, but he has not been given 3-4 duties yet. 

Here is the depth at Each position, ILB and Edge OLB:

ILB:  Smith, Thompson (Chinn at times?)

EDGE: Burns, Barno, Haynes (Gross-Matos?)

`Note:  Fitterer said that Chinn will play a lot at the big nickel.  Gross-Matos may become a situational inside rusher (DE).

The Draft:  Seems to be weak at ILB, loaded with Edge rushers.

Questions

• Who will start at ILB opposite Thompson?
  • Where will Chinn play when not in the big nickel?

Here is my dilemma:  I sorta want Luvu at an ILB, but is that wasting his versatility and skill set?  Is he good enough to play opposite Burns as strictly a pass rusher (with coverage skills?)  Will Chinn play ILB when not playing big nickel? 

I am so confused about this--and the answer to all these questions might simply be, "Yes."  These are hybrids who can play multiple positions, but that does not help me prepare for the draft--which is more needed:  ILB or Edge? 

What are your opinions.  Help me off the ledge.

Fail Dumb Ways To Die GIF

I prefer him at edge in the 20% or so we are in 34 but i believe someone on the staff said in an interview last week that Luvu will play a mixture of edge and inside linebacker when we are in 34.  Maybe i just dreamed it though but I'm pretty sure.   In the same answer they mentioned Chinn and his versatility to play all over the field in different formations. 

I think I’m in the minority but I see Luvu as ILB not OLB. Not entirely sure where Chinn fits in the base package but I imagine we will be heavy on DBs a lot of the time and he will be in the middle  of the field.

I envision sending Luvu on blitzes and filling in w Chinn. They are both pretty lethal around the line, getting in the backfield and being disruptive.

I could see us trading Chinn but I really hope we keep him and keep loading Evero with toys. Our good years have come with elite defenses. Time to bring back that tradition.

• Pie 3

If I’m not mistaken, Fitterer recently said that they are looking at Chinn at big nickel and as a dime LB.

As for Luvu, his pass rush grade was fantastic last year, I don’t see how you don’t use him as an EDGE/OLB.

With that said, it seems like Chinn might be a rotational piece rather than an every down player, essentially rotating in at big nickel in place of one of the MLB’s in what would essentially be a 3-3-5.

If that’s indeed what the Panthers have in store for Chinn then I think you go ILB in the second round and 4 Tech/5 Tech in the third as the weakest positions on defense would be the ILB spot next to Thompson and and probably DeShawn Williams.

Just spit balling but you have

EDGE - Luvu

5 Tech - Williams/Draft Pick

NT - Tuttle

5 Tech - Brown

EDGE - Burns

ILB - Thompson

ILB - Draft

CB - Horn

SS - Bell

FS - Woods

CB - Jackson

Big Nickel - Chinn

Edited by MillionDollarCam

When they asked Fitt. Iirc he was talking like he'd be the first option next to Shaq. 

Idunno how effective it would be but in my mind I can imagine good things from: 

Burns-Luvu-Shaq-Chinn 

Bro I have no idea what this staff has in mind. Thought I heard him also say Donte and Henderson outside with Jaycee in nickel. 

• Pie 1