• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How to use Luvu and Chinn

MHS831

12 hours ago, MHS831 said:

How the Panthers plan to use Luvu is of interest to me, and I am hoping that some Huddler not addicted to someone else's prescription drugs can help.  At WSU, Luvu played both LB and Edge.  Since then, he has excelled here in Charlotte, but he has not been given 3-4 duties yet. 

Here is the depth at Each position, ILB and Edge OLB:

ILB:  Smith, Thompson (Chinn at times?)

EDGE: Burns, Barno, Haynes (Gross-Matos?)

`Note:  Fitterer said that Chinn will play a lot at the big nickel.  Gross-Matos may become a situational inside rusher (DE).

The Draft:  Seems to be weak at ILB, loaded with Edge rushers.

Questions

• Who will start at ILB opposite Thompson?
  • Where will Chinn play when not in the big nickel?

Here is my dilemma:  I sorta want Luvu at an ILB, but is that wasting his versatility and skill set?  Is he good enough to play opposite Burns as strictly a pass rusher (with coverage skills?)  Will Chinn play ILB when not playing big nickel? 

I am so confused about this--and the answer to all these questions might simply be, "Yes."  These are hybrids who can play multiple positions, but that does not help me prepare for the draft--which is more needed:  ILB or Edge? 

What are your opinions.  Help me off the ledge.

Fail Dumb Ways To Die GIF

Well, you're not the defensive coordinator or Dom Capers so..no one cares.

• Poo 2

13 hours ago, MHS831 said:

:  I sorta want Luvu at an ILB, but is that wasting his versatility and skill set?  Is he good enough to play opposite Burns as strictly a pass rusher (with coverage skills?)

Good stuff on our boy Frankie. “A guy who can destroy the mesh-point”

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

If only more posters had this same mentality we'd have a whopping 0 topics to discuss on an online message board during the offseason. Quality post.

The original post was some Madden garbage of how "OP would use them" not how "Ejiro will use them". There is a difference that's more than semantics here. When discussing how the staff will use them, usually an OP will provide some insight into coaching and scheme, not their personal preference.

Chinn more likely than not will be assigned to the TE most of the time.  I don't see how DJAX just seamlessly recovers from an Achilles injury with no side effects.  Unless we address the corner position in the draft you will be seeing more CJH than you'd like and Horn will ne locked on the each team's #1 receiver.

Looking at the LB's coming out of college, size isn't the be all end all from what it used to be.  In addition, we brought in some HOG MOLLYS on the front that will hold up the linemen and allow for linebackers to run fast and free.  Chinn and Frankie are the same basic size. 6'3 230 ish for Frankie and 6'3 220 for Chinn.

YGM is going to be more valuable from a warm body standpoint on game days than many think.  He is big enough to spell at the DT/DE than some other players.  I haven't run down what a game day 53 would look like, but I would value a player who can fill multiple positions if and when people get injured.

If we could trade back in the second to around 50 and pick up another 3rd round pick I think we would be golden!  I'd target Campbell (ILB) out of Iowa, Ricks (CB) out of Alabama, and AT Perry out of Wake with our first three picks.  Our later picks could be used on an additional linemen on both sides.  I like Wooten out of Auburn and Richards out of UNC.  Maybe stealing KJ Henery and Davis Allen out of Clemson would be a win in my opinion.  I am smitten with the TE out of Michigan Luke Schoonmaker, but I'm pretty sure he will be picked up before we hit our needs.

Long story short, With Brown, Tuttle, Williams, and McCall up front our LB's will have room to run free and make tackles.

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, CPcavedweller said:

The original post was some Madden garbage of how "OP would use them" not how "Ejiro will use them". There is a difference that's more than semantics here. When discussing how the staff will use them, usually an OP will provide some insight into coaching and scheme, not their personal preference.

Was it though?  read again. 

Edited by MHS831

I think Chinn or Luvu could get lost in the shuffle especially with the switch to 3-4. I don’t think Luvu is going to be a good 3-4 OLB. Granted I’m sure we will still have some 4-3 packages he could play. So the question is if Chinn or Luvu will be the ILB beside Shaq? I’m sure Haynes and YGM will start opposite burns. Haynes actually might thrive in a 3-4 olb role. He’s put up some good PFF numbers in a limited role and has improved with time. YGM hasn’t really shown much. Then there is Barno. Also Luvu could end up being a back up OLB? Could Chinn also play 3-4 OLB?

7 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Your assuming he has an ounce of reading comprehension skills… 

I just wondered, "Were you breastfed properly?" "Did your parents take your Gerbil to run free on the family farm, only to be never seen again?"  "Did the person in front of you have more than 15 items in her cart and management at Harris Teeter did nothing about it?" 

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1

So what I get from this thread is this:

1. We need a CB

2. Chinn is a good player that we are going to have to be creative to use properly.

3. We need more help on the edge (OLB)

4.  There seems to be some confusion about YGM and how he will be used.

5.  Luvu will be moved around, but his position seems to be ILB and not OLB/Edge.

6. It would be nice to see LB Smith and Edge Barno step up.

Edited by MHS831