• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thank you Derek Carr?

RenoCarolina

I caught this on SI and wanted takes on how widespread these thoughts are on our off-season. 

article by Gilberto Manzano in SI on 23rd about the 8 teams that “got better” in off-season.

Do any of you remember anything about our courtship of Derek Carr?  I don’t even remember officially hearing that we were  going after him (and I wanted us to) much less that he snubbed us and in disgust we said Fug It and traded away the store to get our pick. 

Interesting that this is a major media take on our moves

https://apple.news/ACWO6iUzgQQGEpbnZuu4thA

The Panthers have been searching for a franchise quarterback for nearly three years, and they finally realized the veteran route isn’t the way to go. They tried with Teddy Bridgewater, Sam Darnold and Baker Mayfield, and even went back to Cam Newton for a bit. After getting rejected by Derek Carr, Carolina said enough is enough and acquired the No. 1 pick from the Bears in exchange for draft picks and No. 1 wideout DJ Moore,

• Pie 1

He was going to come to Charlotte to meet with the FO the Monday after the Saints swooped in and signed him the day before on Sunday. 
It’s been debated as to whether our interest was serious, whether we were just doing due diligence, or if we were in it to drive the price up for the Saints. I don’t think anyone knows for sure. 

• Pie 8

5 minutes ago, travisura said:

He was going to come to Charlotte to meet with the FO the Monday after the Saints swooped in and signed him the day before on Sunday. 
It’s been debated as to whether our interest was serious, whether we were just doing due diligence, or if we were in it to drive the price up for the Saints. I don’t think anyone knows for sure. 

This

29 minutes ago, t96 said:

I don’t think we were seriously interested in him at anywhere near the price he ultimately got. I think we were set on drafting a QB from day 1 of the offseason

Agreed.  Wonder how long Fitt and CHI has been working on this behind the scenes?

12 minutes ago, Wolfcop said:

We slow played that entire situation. He didn't have an offer on the table from us. 

I don't think the Panthers were really very interested in Carr or they would have taken a more aggressive approach toward him.

Regardless, I think the Panthers played it the smarter way by trading up to # 1 in the draft to get a younger, less expensive QB to build the future of the franchise with.