• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brian Burns Extension possibility

razorwolf

44 minutes ago, stan786 said:

If we get out under 4 years 100 million it’s a giant win. I imagine he’ll be pushing for Watt money and we’ll try and get him in closer to the Crosby/Chubb deals.

I’d pay him regardless, he’s a legit top tier pass rusher and he’s a lot more valuable in NFL circles than this board seems to value him at.

You can’t compare him to Watt, and say he’s going to request that type of money. Burns sack average is 9.5! Watt sack average is 12.6, but he also had a season of 22.5 sacks! Crosby money the most likely contract that Burns will get!

1 hour ago, razorwolf said:

Just a thrown out ideal for a extension:

4yr/$76.5M w/$45M guaranteed!

Its a little under average contract today, but could be a reasonable contract for both parties!

With a 5% flat income tax, you'd think we could offer slightly less than teams in New York, Illinois, California, etc. 

I'm shocked at the number of players who take jobs in California and Washington for the same pay as a state like Florida. Dudes need financial management planners on speed dial during free agency.

1 minute ago, CPcavedweller said:

With a 5% flat income tax, you'd think we could offer slightly less than teams in New York, Illinois, California, etc. 

I'm shocked at the number of players who take jobs in California and Washington for the same pay as a state like Florida. Dudes need financial management planners on speed dial during free agency.

When Gettleman was our manager he made that argument to the players and talked about it in the press.

3 minutes ago, Smithers said:

Burns is not elite.  Not a single statistical category shows him as elite.  

There is nothing wrong with using the franchise tag on a player you don’t want to extend long term yet.  NFLPA agreed to it.  

Good thing we have a smart staff now. Im sure they will make the best decision for the team.

2 minutes ago, BEASTfromdaEAST said:

If I was GM I would wait after this year to do a deal. Tag him 💯. I believe the tag costs around 19mil this year for linebackers or Defensive ends so that's considerably less than what I believe Burns is looking for 

We dont have to do anything this season, he is under contract for this year. We could franchise him next season if he is asking for elite money.

It could go either way, he could finally be elite, and earn more next offseason, or we could pay him now and he still just get 10-11 sacks and sucks big time against the run....

Edited by PootieNunu
  • Beer 1

16 minutes ago, razorwolf said:

You can’t compare him to Watt, and say he’s going to request that type of money. Burns sack average is 9.5! Watt sack average is 12.6, but he also had a season of 22.5 sacks! Crosby money the most likely contract that Burns will get!

Watt gets 28 a year and Crosby gets 23.5 my comment was he's for sure going to come in asking for Watt money and the most likely view we'll have is wanting to structure it like the Crosby contract. I would guess it would end up in some range between those two.

With the constantly rising cap in the NFL its rare a player can be the top paid player at his position for 3+ years like Watt is about to be, Burns is a young and ascending pass rusher in the NFL that will 100% be the highest paid edge rusher if he hit FA and teams were allowed to bid freely.

Thinking Burns isnt going to walk in and start his negotiation at a deal that would make him the highest paid edge in the league isnt grounded in reality, what number we meet at is going to be the real story. I would think we may be able to come to an agreement at 25ish, which beats the guys that signed last year but I'll be interested. 

We clearly value him as a cornerstone piece and the Franchise being so adamant they are going rookie QB shows they want any plan they have to allow them to keep some of the great young defenders we have, which a rookie QB deal helps accomplish.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, thunderraiden said:

image.png.e81b249f21f4777bdc24be466b164163.png

Here ya go, what you can go ahead and expect.

Fitt did tip his hand and said the extension is prob coming after the draft.

He is pretty accurate on what he says he intends to do and does.

That is the one thing that many don't realize with Fitterer. The guy is an opened book...

If you want to know what the Panthers indeed to do, just listen to Fitterer. 

In a 3/4, Burns might be everything Watts is in a 3/4.  It is going to be a 4-5 year, $120-130m deal. 

I noticed in free agency, our contracts were longer and seemingly at the top end of the scale for the most part, but the guaranteed $$ was about half the contract.