• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

John Ellis on Stroud v Young

TheSpecialJuan

11 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

I mean if you can't see the style / size comparison I don't know what to tell you.

The big knocks on Young are

a) his size (whether he can take NFL hits and see the middle of the field)

b) whether his style of play flies in the NFL (he's not an elite athlete and we've seen it fail with Manziel, Mayfield and [to an extent, even though he's a much better athlete] Murray). 

If anything I have that reaction when anyone compares him to Mahomes. 

I have yet to see any scout or scouting report mention Young having an inability to see the middle of the field or his style of play not translating to the NFL. Being honest, the question of his size is really the only negative of any consequence thay any legit analyst/scout has mentioned.

As far as mini Mahomes, that's not a Huddle creation, it comes from legit similarities to Mahomes' playing style from legit analysts and NFL types.

• Pie 1

23 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Young being compared to Manziel and Mayfield. 

Season 17 Omg GIF by America's Got Talent

I guess it's not as bad as referring to him as a project.

No one is saying he is the same as those. We are saying that style of play in college isn’t a sure thing to translate to the NFL. Dancing around NFL players while absorbing hits is a lot different than doing it in college. Baker was great at that in college, it’s why he went number 1.
Assuming that ANY QB in this draft can’t be a bust is pretty bold IMO, but you do you. Stroud has never been seen with even an average supporting cast for example. He could easily struggle in the NFL as well.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, frankw said:

Alabama and pedestrian in the same sentence is an interesting choice.

It's all a risk no matter how you cut it. Either of the QB's we draft are going to get hit eventually. But if he starts to get banged up and Stroud balls out with the Texans there will be some serious explaining to do 🤷‍♂️

And vice versa 

• Pie 1

28 minutes ago, csx said:

Nothing whatsoever wrong with a Mayfield comparison. Mayfield was more productive though with better completion percentage and passer rating and a little bit more of a downfield passer than Young is.

There are similarities, but major differencies.

Baker also played in a spread offense as opposed to a pro-style offense.

Baker had spotty footwork and was apt to play hero ball and take sacks when trying to extend the play as opposed to getting the ball out.

Baker also never had the arm elasticity or touch that Bryce had off platform.

He played against decidedly inferior competition.

Baker was also as not nearly as mature. 

Young didn’t have the traditional Alabama supporting cast this year, on the other hand the SEC defenses were far from great this year.

Young is awesome to watch, but will he be able run around in the NFL? I’m not sure to be honest. Everyone is bigger and faster in the NFL. I hope he can, a fun player to watch.

I believe the Stroud we saw in the Georgia game is the real Stroud, so he’s still my guy. But I absolutely see the appeal of Young.

• Pie 2

24 minutes ago, frankw said:

Mahomes comparisons are peak hopium. If Bryce Young were that the Bears would not have budged from their spot.

The Bears wouldn't draft Mahomes if Mahomes was literally in the draft.

Oh wait

*cough*Trubisky

(I know completely different FO, staff, etc, but still.)

• Pie 3

26 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

No one is saying he is the same as those. We are saying that style of play in college isn’t a sure thing to translate to the NFL. Dancing around NFL players while absorbing hits is a lot different than doing it in college. Baker was great at that in college, it’s why he went number 1.
Assuming that ANY QB in this draft can’t be a bust is pretty bold IMO, but you do you. Stroud has never been seen with even an average supporting cast for example. He could easily struggle in the NFL as well.

Any QB can be a bust. That's already understood. It's just that some are less likely tjan others, and some are more suited for the modern NFL style of play than others.

Yeah about the Bears. Fields isn’t that promising but they had a chance to replace him, they don’t see an upgrade there. 
Should be a warning, because I know there are qb sluts here that got a thing for every one that comes out and were all over Fields. What warning? Lol. They’ll be all over Young and Stroud. That is where most of this noise is coming from. 
I would have much preferred to sit at 9. 

Edited by stratocatter
  • Poo 1

41 minutes ago, frankw said:

But you can't coach Young into a bigger frame.

He's not gonna get taller without leg extensions. Idk anything about that with a athlete. But he's 5' 10 not 5' 5". I don't doubt he is 185. He ate shrimp and a salad at the pro day dinner. He most likely has a high metabolism. Day after the draft, the team that drafts him will have him on a high calorie diet and lift heavy. He can easily carry +15-20 lbs more muscle. He has not maxed out his frame - at all.

• Pie 1