• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

John Ellis on Stroud v Young

TheSpecialJuan

9 minutes ago, Jaxel said:

None of those receivers are getting drafted high.

But they are getting drafted which is extremely, extremely difficult.

i get what he saying, Stroud obviously played with 5 of the best receivers in the country the past two seasons, but Bryce is still throwing to nfl players.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2
  • Poo 2

Just now, frankw said:

If Fitterer or our offensive coordinator have tipped their hand about which QB they prefer that's news to me and a lot of other folks.

Yeah no one knows for a reason. The Young fans will claim it looks like we are favoring him and the Stroud fans will say the opposite. We won’t know until the staff wants us to know.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Growl said:

But they are getting drafted which is extremely, extremely difficult.

i get what he saying, Stroud obviously played with 5 of the best receivers in the country the past two seasons, but Bryce is still throwing to nfl players.

Maybe, I'm not necessarily convinced Burton will get drafted. I think the other guy will be displaced as a starter next year.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

17 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

I really worry about Stroud’s ability to handle pressure 

Bryce has proven he can handle it

mentally handling pressure in college is a lot different than NFL. Stroud can stand in the pocket and flick the ball while getting hit, Young is going to have to scramble more often just to get a chance to throw the ball to someone. I'm assuming that would cut the playbook in half, maybe the talent is worth that sacrifice

• Pie 6

16 minutes ago, frankw said:

I'm sorry that is not something you want to discuss but it's very relevant given what we've traded to make this selection. But we can end the convo no problem thanks for the chat.

I've already discussed it, so stop acting like all this ad nauseam discussion is brand new. If you don't want Young simply because of his size and your fear that he won't last, that is your prerogative. I actually understand that opinion. I don't agree with it, but I respect it. It would be nice if you just accept that, and accept the fact that plenty of people actually feel the same. Do you feel that there is a magic number to reach or a different way that you can express your disdain for that opinion that will finally force people to see it your way? I assure you that there is not. Some people are just going to believe that the risk--to whatever degree that one believes it is--is worth the reward. Accept it without the facade of fake injury or insult.

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 1
  • Flames 1

19 minutes ago, Ivory Panther said:

McCown seems the be the only one on staff really high on CJ.

Fitterer & Thomas seem to be in on Bryce.

Not sure where Reich or Caldwell lean yet.

To me that's advantage Bryce.

Why? Reich has made very, very poor qb decisions in the past. Rhule’s GM has zero clue and zero experience drafting a QB…

Thomas and Caldwell are legit. McCown just might be the best qualified that we have, not sure why our fans don’t see that.

Just simply look at evidence. Let’s stop BSing already and keep it real. Everyone on this coaching staff has strengths, let’s not pretend they can do everything just because they’re on our favorite team.

• Flames 1
  • Poo 1

10 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

mentally handling pressure in college is a lot different than NFL. Stroud can stand in the pocket and flick the ball while getting hit, Young is going to have to scramble more often just to get a chance to throw the ball to someone. I'm assuming that would cut the playbook in half, maybe the talent is worth that sacrifice

Go to the 6:08 mark. He only shows a few plays and if I knew how to make gifs and crap I’d do it myself but there’s more examples of this type of stuff if you watch all of his games 

Stroud has been my guy since day 1 but over the last few days this particular part of his game is starting to really worry me

• CJ Stroud stats vs pressure (2022): 5-2 TD-INT, 72.7 QB rating, 5.7 YPA
  • CJ Stroud vs clean pocket (’22): 32-4 TD-INT, 134.7 QB rating, 10.2 YPA
  • Bryce Young stats vs pressure (2021): 17-3 TD-INT, 100.8 QB rating, 7.9 ypa
  • Bryce Young vs clean pocket (’21): 30-4 TD-INT, 134.7 QB rating, 9.3 ypa

• Bryce Young vs pressure (2022): 9-3 TD-INT, 95.2 QB rating, 9.3 ypa
  • Bryce Young vs clean pocket (’22): 23-2 TD-INT, 122.9 QB rating, 8.5 ypa
Edited by *FreeFua*
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 4

11 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I've already discussed it, so stop acting like all this ad nauseam discussion is brand new. If you don't want Young simply because of his size and your fear that he won't last, that is your prerogative. I actually understand that opinion. I don't agree with it, but I respect it. It would be nice if you just accept that, and accept the fact that plenty of people actually feel the same. Do you feel that there is a magic number to reach or a different way that you can express your disdain for that opinion that will finally force people to see it your way? I assure you that there is not. Some people are just going to believe that the risk--to whatever degree that one believes it is--is worth the reward. Accept it without the facade of fake injury or insult.

I'm trying to be cordial but you quoted me. And the other day you pulled our prior disagreement into a whole new thread you created. I'm not trying to change your mind generally no one here has been able to do that on most topics. But we still talk about this sports team to pass the time. That's all this is. I'll give Reich and company the benefit of the doubt and accept whichever QB our staff believes will be the guy to lead this franchise the next ten years or more. I hope their selection pays off.

Edited by frankw

6 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Go to the 6:08 mark. He only shows a few plays and if I knew how to make gifs and crap I’d do it myself but there’s more examples of this type of stuff if you watch all of his games 

Stroud has been my guy since day 1 but over the last few days this particular part of his game is starting to really worry me

• CJ Stroud stats vs pressure (2022): 5-2 TD-INT, 72.7 QB rating, 5.7 YPA
  • CJ Stroud vs clean pocket (’22): 32-4 TD-INT, 134.7 QB rating, 10.2 YPA
  • Bryce Young stats vs pressure (2021): 17-3 TD-INT, 100.8 QB rating, 7.9 ypa
  • Bryce Young vs clean pocket (’21): 30-4 TD-INT, 134.7 QB rating, 9.3 ypa

• Bryce Young vs pressure (2022): 9-3 TD-INT, 95.2 QB rating, 9.3 ypa
  • Bryce Young vs clean pocket (’22): 23-2 TD-INT, 122.9 QB rating, 8.5 ypa

Has there ever been a QB prospect that struggled with pressure in college but didn’t when they played in the NFL?

Honest question because I feel like that would be a very tough area to improve in

Edited by *FreeFua*
  • Pie 9