• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Wonderlic?

Mr. Scot

Of all the positions on the field, QB is the most cerebral.  The ability to read (see and recognize) and process information quickly, in real time, is what every team is looking for.  How is an intelligence test, imperfect though it may be, not useful for evaluating a QB?  At the very least, it is an additional data point for consideration.

1 hour ago, bythenbrs said:

Of all the positions on the field, QB is the most cerebral.  The ability to read (see and recognize) and process information quickly, in real time, is what every team is looking for.  How is an intelligence test, imperfect though it may be, not useful for evaluating a QB?  At the very least, it is an additional data point for consideration.

Honestly, I just don't see the Wonderlic being a very good predictor of on the field processing. Yeah, it's a timed test but what's happening on an NFL field is happening MUCH faster than what it replicated in the Wonderlic. I can absolutely see it as being a good indicator of learning the playbook, pre-snap reads, etc. but actual processing speed and ability on the field? I just don't see it. If anything, my gut feel based on absolutely nothing concrete is that the smarter a person is the more likely it is for them to struggle to switch off that consciously thinking portion of their brain to revert to the instinct mode that you have to be able to fall back on once the ball is snapped. It doesn't matter how smart you are and how quick minded you are, if you're trying to consciously think through it and process information after the ball is snapped you're going to be too slow. It has to be instinctual.

• Pie 2

Seems like you could create a test that spits out scenarios based on x's and o's 

Asking what play you would pick out of the 4 against this coverage or against this offensive look. Asks questions about general football only things. 

Maybe sprinkle in some off the field questions but still related to life as a player. 

• Beer 1

Just now, SCMunnerlyn1 said:

Seems like you could create a test that spits out scenarios based on x's and o's 

Asking what play you would pick out of the 4 against this coverage or against this offensive look. Asks questions about general football only things. 

Maybe sprinkle in some off the field questions but still related to life as a player. 

All the QB prospects do what they call "whiteboard work" at their personal interviews.

It's a lot like what you describe.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, thefuzz said:

Couldn't care what the team uses, if the minds in that building think it's worth it, it's worth it.

They may be smart minds when it comes to football, but continuing to use an outdated test that pretty much any intelligent person in society knows is flawed for different reasons makes me raise an eyebrow as to what they're actually doing and why. They get no pass or brownie points from me for extending its usage for any reason.

5 minutes ago, top dawg said:

They may be smart minds when it comes to football, but continuing to use an outdated test that pretty much any intelligent person in society knows is flawed for different reasons makes me raise an eyebrow as to what they're actually doing and why. They get no pass or brownie points from me for extending its usage for any reason.

If the QB coach wanted to see me stand on my head and gargle peanut butter, while attempting me juggle apples...bring it on.

I could't care less what or how they put them through, so long as it's not painful or puts them at risk of injury.

Just now, thefuzz said:

If the QB coach wanted to see me stand on my head and gargle peanut butter, while attempting to juggle apples...bring it on.

I could't care less what or how they put them through, so long as it's not painful or puts them at risk of injury.

26 minutes ago, SCMunnerlyn1 said:

There’s a new test

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/03/21/nfl-s2-cognition-quarterbacks/

https://www.bleachernation.com/nfl/2023/02/25/one-test-hints-this-qb-class-is-exceptional-packers-coaches-skipping-the-combine-and-other-nfl-bullets/

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Honestly, I just don't see the Wonderlic being a very good predictor of on the field processing. Yeah, it's a timed test but what's happening on an NFL field is happening MUCH faster than what it replicated in the Wonderlic. I can absolutely see it as being a good indicator of learning the playbook, pre-snap reads, etc. but actual processing speed and ability on the field? I just don't see it. If anything, my gut feel based on absolutely nothing concrete is that the smarter a person is the more likely it is for them to struggle to switch off that consciously thinking portion of their brain to revert to the instinct mode that you have to be able to fall back on once the ball is snapped. It doesn't matter how smart you are and how quick minded you are, if you're trying to consciously think through it and process information after the ball is snapped you're going to be too slow. It has to be instinctual.

Will respectfully disagree.  ‘Reading’ a defense correctly in real time is pattern recognition, which is tightly linked to mathematical aptitude and overall intelligence.  I have no idea if Luke ever took the Wonderlic or his score if he did but, I would bet you dinner at a high end steak house that Luke would measure and test in the upper decile for pattern recognition, math aptitude and general intelligence.  

In any event, this doesn’t contradict your comments on football ‘instincts’, which some might alternately call ‘situational awareness’.  Great players have great ‘instincts’, no matter how that is defined.  Cheers.

Edited by bythenbrs
  • Pie 1