• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Scott Fitterer on the trade

NAS

8 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

The coaching staff change was a correct championship move, but the roster building strategy for a team without any foundation/culture (if trading up for the #1 pick and taking a QB) has never proven to be successful in the NFL over 6 decades. Glad they have a couple 28+ proven receiving options to pair with any QB they choose. Going to need a top 10 defense for a few seasons at the least to cover for a young QB to even have a shot at the playoffs.

Someone always has to be first though for the fans who hang their hat on hope. Said the same thing for Gettleman, Rhule, and now Fitt. I like Reich, but with the roster building if it goes the way most people are cheering for, odds are a #1 pick QB will be the end for Reich and a second coaching staff will have to take the developed QB (if good) the rest of the way.

Should we just put everything on pause until we create a foundation/culture though?

You can only control the things you can control. Yeah, ideally it would be great if we were just a QB away from being SB contenders. But that’s rarely how the NFL works. You have to do the best with what you have to work with. I feel pretty confident in saying we have done a fantastic job of that this off season. 

• Pie 2

12 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

image.jpeg.82746c1ad5d6326bc04ae13fb0fdabd1.jpeg

Yup he believed in building the defense and letting cam play hero ball but we can’t act like Cam didn’t have a good to great supporting cast his first year. Solid o line, double trouble, Olsen and shockey and smitty. That is solid for a team that was the worst in the league the year prior. 

• Pie 4

8 hours ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

The important thing is he learned. A large reactionary group on the huddle were convinced he was one of the worst owners in the NFL and had no clue what he was doing and was too stubborn to change. 

Well to be fair, he kinda was.

Even Tepper himself has admitted that he came into the NFL with some wrongheaded ideas. Those were what led to the Rhule hire which was then the source for most of the issues over the past three years.

The incorrect assumption was that he couldn't learn. He has, and now we seem to be headed in the right direction.

• Pie 2

10 hours ago, hepcat said:

I’m just watching what is happening now, compared the last 3 years, and wondering to myself how the hell David Tepper allowed Matt Rhule to coach an NFL franchise. 

In Tepper's defense, Rhule was being wooed by several NFL teams. He wasn't the only one that was fooled by Rhule's college success. Now, giving him total control was obviously a screwup, but I assume that was the only was to land him; let him control "the process". I hate that we did it, but at the time I was stoked that Tep got him and Joe Brady. Hind sight is a sonofabitch.

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, TheRumGone said:

Yup he believed in building the defense and letting cam play hero ball but we can’t act like Cam didn’t have a good to great supporting cast his first year. Solid o line, double trouble, Olsen and shockey and smitty. That is solid for a team that was the worst in the league the year prior. 

He had Hurney and Gentleman and was never expected to be a personnel guy. Hurney and Gentleman are equally terrible. Ron was never even rumored to have been in control of the roster to where we could say he sabotaged it with defense.

In reality Gettlemen just screwed the pooch in every hole when everything was looking good. 

Edited by csx

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Well to be fair, he kinda was.

Even Tepper himself has admitted that he came into the NFL with some wrongheaded ideas. Those were what led to the Rhule hire which was then the source for most of the issues over the past three years.

The incorrect assumption was that he couldn't learn. He has, and now we seem to be headed in the right direction.

Tepper hasn't accomplished squat. He hired a college fool, threw a bunch of money at him, and allowed him to squander draft picks. He then appointed someone who was not a full time NFL head coach but plenty capable of turning around a demoralized team so we could ruin any chance we had at a good qb q/ pick 9. He then hired a retread albeit obvious choice for head coach in Reich but now we are giving away our future and betting everything on a midget or an Ohio State qb. I'll admit Tepper is not a bad owner when I see results and not until then. He's currently sticking his and his girlfriends nose into the qb search. 

• Poo 4

1 minute ago, rebelrouser said:

Tepper hasn't accomplished squat. He hired a college fool, threw a bunch of money at him, and allowed him to squander draft picks. He then appointed someone who was not a full time NFL head coach but plenty capable of turning around a demoralized team so we could ruin any chance we had at a good qb q/ pick 9. He then hired a retread albeit obvious choice for head coach in Reich but now we are giving away our future and betting everything on a midget or an Ohio State qb. I'll admit Tepper is not a bad owner when I see results and not until then. He's currently sticking his and his girlfriends nose into the qb search. 

To be fair, accounts have indicated he's not all that active a participant in the quarterback search. He's just a close observer.

That follows the pattern of the head coach hiring as well. When it came time for the final decision, Tepper abstained and let the football people handle it.

Has he produced anything yet? It's fair to say no he hasn't, but I do like the direction things are going.

Haven't been able to say that for a while...

• Beer 1

11 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Nice to have a group of guys with an actual plan on how to succeed. Rhule was throwing poo at the wall from day one hoping someone would make him look good. 

Rhule reminds me of a guy who just auto-assigns every equipment in a video game even if the supposed best setup isn’t actually the best set up.