• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

High character players with football intelligence

Mr. Scot

18 hours ago, t96 said:

Tepper and Fitt wanted to sell the farm to get Watson, along with more than a few other teams...

No coach is going to admit to wanting or even accepting low character players without football intelligence so I wouldn't read much into this. If a guy helps us win and isn't a locker room issue I don't really care what he does off the field. I still think we got fuged over hard by the Hardy situation. He was a complete idiot but if the league didn't steal him along with that $14M in cap space from us in 2014 I honestly think we could've beaten that Seahawks team and gone further. 

What's interesting is the Detroit Lions staff (Dan Campbell and Brad Holmes) have been giving answers that let people know that personal character isn't at the top of their list.  They use the term football character.  And if they are a little rough in the personal character department, that's something they will try to help them with.  But they feel like football character is the priority.

Brett Favre and Adrian Peterson were both called high character guys coming out of the draft and through most of their careers. until they weren't.

most of the time when a coach talks about high character guys they are talking very superficial things like who talks about Jesus the most at a press conference, and not any actual thing related to character/values/morals/empathy.

it's a pretty meaningless phrase, you can't draft for character because you never really know what is in somebody's heart in that way. it's very easy to put on a front of high character while being nuts.

• Pie 2

23 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Reich...

Love the sound of that 😁

One of the reasons the Patriots had such a good run  was an emphasis on smart players. They put a premium on football intelligence, and it looks like we're going to do the same.

I'm all for it.

Reich says he wants smart AND high character guys, so that reduces the pool a bit. You have to be smart to cheat that long without getting caught, so for the most part Pats players are smart, but I would never call them 'high character' guys.