• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Athletic article on top prospects

Mr. Scot

10 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

That just answered every question I had about Stroud that you can’t see from just watching his games.

Annnnnnd just like that my preference has now shifted back to Stroud

Honestly, I find it hard to believe anyone could read that article and not want him here.

• Pie 6

Honestly one of the things I get excited about CVJ based on these reports is his accuracy. 

The QB we draft will be our next franschise guy that we compare to Cam and Jake. And the one thing I HOPING this next guy can do it actually hit a guy in stride. 

I loved CAM and for as amazing as he was I feel like we had so many opportunities left on the field cause he would throw behind a receiver and make them stop or slow down, causing them to get tackled. 

ALL I want is to see a get catch a ball in stride while running across the middle. Sounds like CJ can do that. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, CanadianCat said:

Honestly one of the things I get excited about CVJ based on these reports is his accuracy. 

The QB we draft will be our next franschise guy that we compare to Cam and Jake. And the one thing I HOPING this next guy can do it actually hit a guy in stride. 

I loved CAM and for as amazing as he was I feel like we had so many opportunities left on the field cause he would throw behind a receiver and make them stop or slow down, causing them to get tackled. 

ALL I want is to see a get catch a ball in stride while running across the middle. Sounds like CJ can do that. 

This is where I'm at...

The top selling points for each of the big four, i.e. if you had to pick one thing, what are they best known for:

Stroud - Accuracy

Young - Intelligence

Richardson - Athleticism

Levis - Arm Strength

Given those terms, I'm gonna compare the first two, and note that in most cases what one has, the other has also (accuracy, intelligence, processing, etc).

The most obvious thing one has which the other doesn't? Prototype size.

So the pick for me is Stroud.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 2

For me it will come down to personality and mentality. Will he mesh with the coaches, the team, and the community? Does he have the drive to do whatever is necessary to be great? Will he take the coaching and respond to adversity positively? Can he lead the guys in the huddle and get the best out of them? 

Those are important questions that need real answers, not theoretical ones. The answers should reflect the player based on the track record, interviews, research, and evidence. I trust that the team is diving deep into these guys to find that out. Hopefully they come to a conclusion that bears fruit.

• Pie 3

2 minutes ago, XClown1986 said:

For me it will come down to personality and mentality. Will he mesh with the coaches, the team, and the community? Does he have the drive to do whatever is necessary to be great? Will he take the coaching and respond to adversity positively? Can he lead the guys in the huddle and get the best out of them? 

Those are important questions that need real answers, not theoretical ones. The answers should reflect the player based on the track record, interviews, research, and evidence. I trust that the team is diving deep into these guys to find that out. Hopefully they come to a conclusion that bears fruit.

Everything I've read about him (including this article) says that he has a very even keeled personality.

Delhomme was fiery. Newton was energetic.

Stroud? Probably more like Frank Reich.

• Pie 1

37 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

That just answered every question I had about Stroud that you can’t see from just watching his games.

Annnnnnd just like that my preference has now shifted back to Stroud

Haha, I have been doing the same like every day

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Everything I've read about him (including this article) says that he has a very even keeled personality.

Delhomme was fiery. Newton was energetic.

Stroud? Probably more like Frank Reich.

Leadership shows itself in various forms. But BEING a leader shouldn't be in question, despite the method.

5 minutes ago, XClown1986 said:

Leadership shows itself in various forms. But BEING a leader shouldn't be in question, despite the method.

I don't think it is.

What happens with Stroud I think is that when the skill players see how good a position he can put them in with the accuracy of his passing, they're very much going to gravitate to him.

Edited by Mr. Scot

19 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

100%.

Can he place the ball where he wants it, and can he get it there when it needs to be there?  CJ looks like he does both....and well.

Kind like watching Brees and Manning 1.  Those two, while neither having top shelf arms, knew exactly where the ball needed to be, and the anticipation to make sure it was there at the exact time it was supposed to be.

That makes everyones job SOOOO much easier, except the defense.

Give me the pure passer, please.

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, thefuzz said:

100%.

Can he place the ball where he wants it, and can he get it there when it needs to be there?  CJ looks like he does both....and well.

Kind like watching Brees and Manning 1.  Those two, while neither having top shelf arms, knew exactly where the ball needed to be, and the anticipation to make sure it was there at the exact time it was supposed to be.

That makes everyones job SOOOO much easier, except the defense.

Give me the pure passer, please.

On the exact same page...

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't think it is.

What happens with Stroud I think is that when the skill players see how good a position he can put them in with the accuracy of his passing, they're very much going to gravitate to him.

Gravitating to him is fine. But he has to communicate. With his coaches and with his teammates especially. He can't leave the coaches to talk to his guys and he just "plays the game." So I would want to know more about how effective he is as a communicator and how he has managed those relationships.

This is why Bryce Young is being regarded as the top guy, because there is so much evidence to support his strengths as a leader and communicator. You see it all the time and you hear it from everyone he talks to. When it is barely mentioned about Stroud, that scares me.

He can't be a QB in a vacuum. He has to be a leader of men. Period. It can seem forced, disingenuous, half-assed, or a requirement. He has to WANT to lead these guys. If his team goes 3 and out, down by 14 in the waning minutes of the 3rd quarter, I want to know that he is going to pull his receivers to the side and address the issue. Schematics, problem solving, or just an ass chewing, he will have to do what is required and necessary for those moments. Same goes for him talking to his O-line and backs. He better talk to them. Every time he sees/feels something, his guys should know. And as a coach, I want to know I won't have to constantly tell him to do that, that he will do so when necessary. I am not coaching a guy to be a leader. I am coaching a guy to be a better player. You either have it or you don't. It comes down to personality. 

• Poo 2

3 minutes ago, XClown1986 said:

Gravitating to him is fine. But he has to communicate. With his coaches and with his teammates especially. He can't leave the coaches to talk to his guys and he just "plays the game." So I would want to know more about how effective he is as a communicator and how he has managed those relationships.

This is why Bryce Young is being regarded as the top guy, because there is so much evidence to support his strengths as a leader and communicator. You see it all the time and you hear it from everyone he talks to. When it is barely mentioned about Stroud, that scares me.

He can't be a QB in a vacuum. He has to be a leader of men. Period. It can seem forced, disingenuous, half-assed, or a requirement. He has to WANT to lead these guys. If his team goes 3 and out, down by 14 in the waning minutes of the 3rd quarter, I want to know that he is going to pull his receivers to the side and address the issue. Schematics, problem solving, or just an ass chewing, he will have to do what is required and necessary for those moments. Same goes for him talking to his O-line and backs. He better talk to them. Every time he sees/feels something, his guys should know. And as a coach, I want to know I won't have to constantly tell him to do that, that he will do so when necessary. I am not coaching a guy to be a leader. I am coaching a guy to be a better player. You either have it or you don't. It comes down to personality. 

That's the kind of thing that I expect them to dig into with their visits.

Edited by Mr. Scot