• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Which QB Best Fits Reichs RPO Style Offense?

chknwing

2 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:
2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Bingo.

Watch UNC's offense at the college level to see a classic RPO offense. The majority of RPO plays is the QB reading the defense at the mesh point with the RB before deciding to let the RB keep it or pull it and throw.

There’s also a lot of rollouts and playaction that interrupts reading the defense due to having your back to the LOS on snap and necessitates  a lot of maneuverability to navigate the blitz situation quickly enough to start making second and third level reads. Snaps from shotgun are exactly what you mentioned but there’s a lot under center unless you tear those plays out of the book. There’s generally a correlation between use of RPO and QB mobility. They have to arrive at that mesh point somehow and we’re talking about a game that measures release time of QBs down to milliseconds, so it goes without saying that they have to account for clean footwork and quickness. It’s not exclusive to mobile quarterbacks, but I think success rate is influenced by variables that favor that skill set. 

As an aside, both QBs we should be considering are only negligible in difference in this respect. Both have the required mobility to evade the blitz. 

Edited by SameDamnThing

5 minutes ago, SameDamnThing said:

There’s also a lot of rollouts and playaction that interrupts reading the defense due to having your back to the LOS on snap and necessitates  a lot of maneuverability to navigate the blitz situation quickly enough to start making second and third level reads. Snaps from shotgun are exactly what you mentioned but there’s a lot under center unless you tear those plays out of the book. There’s generally a correlation between use of RPO and QB mobility. They have to arrive at that mesh point somehow and we’re talking about a game that measures release time of QBs down to milliseconds, so it goes without saying that they have to account for clean footwork and quickness. It’s not exclusive to mobile quarterbacks, but I think success rate is influenced by variables that favor that skill set. 

As an aside, both QBs we should be considering are only negligible in difference in this respect. Both have the required mobility to evade the blitz. 

What does the under center stuff have to do with this discussion? We already had a thread highlighting CJ had 120 something snaps under center and Bryce had 4. Bryce will probably not be under center unless it's an obvious short yardage handoff, I don't think he'll be very good at play action against NFL defenses

• Pie 2

Can't wait until the draft gets here. Looking at most things we have heard, Stroud seems to be the perfect fit but then we hear about the emphasis on intelligence, calm under pressure, leadership and we are then left thinking, "Well poo... could it be Young?"

Got to say, after the previous regime having more leaks than the Titanic that it's nice to not know what's going on. Finally, some professionals handling business.

Edited by Icege
  • Pie 1

2 hours ago, Martin said:

A lot of people downplay Strouds processing and understanding of the game, not sure why?

Simple bias. Calling any of these QB prospects "elite" before a single NFL snap is an obvious giveaway. They all have to prove it at this level same as any QB before them.

• Beer 2

1 minute ago, frankw said:

Simple bias. Calling any of these QB prospects "elite" before a single NFL snap is an obvious giveaway. They all have to prove it at this level same as any QB before them.

What? They’re prospects you even said so yourself. Of course there are elite prospects with elite traits. Any college player can be a bust but you draft based on college production which stroud and young both had elite careers. 

6 minutes ago, jb2288 said:

What? They’re prospects you even said so yourself. Of course there are elite prospects with elite traits. Any college player can be a bust but you draft based on college production which stroud and young both had elite careers. 

In a short time we've gone over their traits to an adnauseum point. Yes certain traits can translate right away especially physical ability. But from viewing the dialogue in relation to the mental aspect I'm definitely seeing Young receive not only the benefit of the doubt but elevation to elite status over Stroud. His tape would argue the gap is not at all as wide as some of the outspoken supporters would suggest. That isn't to say Stroud isn't without his cons. But I have yet to see any definitive proof CJ is significantly deficient in this area. Just my thoughts.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

I really think they traded up for Young, with CJ as a plan B if the Texans wanted Young so bad they made a trade. Young is generational. Listen to the interviews. He played against some serious competition. I like both, but Young is Peyton Manning smart, just in a small body. They way they protect the QBs these days I don't think it's an issue (anybody can get hurt on any given play). Like I said, I think they like CJ if they had to draft #2 and got some picks out of it. 

4 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Also why are people assuming RPO involves the QB running? It's usually a hand off/one read pass option

It doesn’t have to involve QB running for the QB to take more hits. If the QB is holding the ball in the RBs gut they just tee off on the QB whether he pulls the ball back or not.

• Beer 1

I'm n9tnsure anyone can adequately downplay a college players ability when the reality is we really don't know. Making assumptions is still making assumptions.  

Assuming the best QB in the draft couldn't run an RPO, is ridiculous.  Now whether or not an RPO or other offense would be best for Young, is really for the coaches to decide anyways. 

8 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

It's good to see him on his feet, he got royally screwed

Yep, sucks getting picked by a coach in over his head then getting hurt then the coach getting fired. I hope he can salvage a career but I honestly just don't see many signs he's part of our plan moving forward.