• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Josh Klein: strong probability Panthers trade out of #39

TheSpecialJuan

I’ve pretty much assumed this would be the case. It makes sense to recoup some of our trade up. I assume it would be something similar to the trade in 2021 when we had the same pick:

Bears receive:

• 2021 second-round pick (No. 39 OT Teven Jenkins)
  • 2021 fifth-round pick (No. 151 OT Larry Borom)

Panthers receive:

• 2021 second-round pick (No. 52 traded to Browns)
  • 2021 third-round pick (No. 83 TE Tommy Tremble)
  • 2021 sixth-round pick (No. 204 WR Shi Smith)

• Pie 4
  • The D 1
  • Poo 1

I wouldn't be mad, unless some like Kincaid or possibly Quentin Johnston are there.  At the end of the day, I probably wouldn't be upset at all. If the coaches believe there is potential day-one starter level talent later in the draft, I guess I'd have to suck it up as the cost of moving up in the first. We're going to have to try to make up some ground this draft and the next.

• Pie 1

25 minutes ago, run-run-pass-punt said:

Yeah, I've always felt the smart move was to move out of that spot after what we gave up to go to #1. Plenty of talent to pick up later to help the team out in exchange with a team who is desperate to get "their guy" @ 39. I sure hope we get a good trade partner to add some picks there.

Not replying to anything you posted, but your username is legendary. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Hmmm maybe I’m in the minority but I think we should trade up for a receiver 

good time to pair the rookie QB with one and also it takes time for a wr to develop generally speaking

i suppose we bought a year with what we got in FA but I would not be mad trading future picks or current picks to move up

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, GamecockSmitty4 said:

I’ve pretty much assumed this would be the case. It makes sense to recoup some of our trade up. I assume it would be something similar to the trade in 2021 when we had the same pick:

Bears receive:

• 2021 second-round pick (No. 39 OT Teven Jenkins)
  • 2021 fifth-round pick (No. 151 OT Larry Borom)

Panthers receive:

• 2021 second-round pick (No. 52 traded to Browns)
  • 2021 third-round pick (No. 83 TE Tommy Tremble)
  • 2021 sixth-round pick (No. 204 WR Shi Smith)

Not the best example. We traded for 4/5 WR, a 2/3 TE snd a 3/4 WR

You can't enter the draft with 4-6 needs and think you are going to meet them.  You are going to meet 2, maybe 3 needs.  The Panthers simply have to determine what needs are realistically met at 39 and 93.  I would say that there is more likelihood that we package 93 and 114 to move up to about 80 or so than to trade back and meet 4-5 needs.

In my view as of today (it changes), I would say the following:

1. QB

39. Edge

93. CB

I think they can take a flyer on a G at 114, but I just don't see the WR value anywhere in this draft.  I think the are going to roll with what we have, hoping better OL and QB play will improve Marshall, Shenault, etc.

If they take a G at 39, he is a starter and they are determined to protect the QB (probably Young).  Then they would move up to take a serviceable Edge and call it a day.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1