• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

SI's Young profile

Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, KatsAzz said:

Thanks for the good article. I plan on looking for this  printed SPORTS ILLUSTRATED  version as a keep sake. 

Yeah, Bryce could be our next franchise QB. It will be nice to hang onto. And I still like to have an occasional magazine to flip through and enjoy old-school style. 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

At the combine Young measured in at 5' 10" and 204 pounds. There are 36 quarterbacks in NFL history who have played at least 50 games at six feet and 210 pounds or fewer. Eleven of them played in at least 100, most recently Drew Brees.

I mean this has to be acknowledged.  We are banking on the rarest of rare outcomes

#1 - There are only 59 total quarterbacks since 1970 to start 100 games or more.  You're saying 11 of those 59 were short and light.  I'd bet a larger ratio of over 6' 210+ QBs fell short of the 100 game after starting 50.  Why?  It's a larger sample size.  

#2 - To say Bryce needs to be an outlier is outlandish.  Bryce IS an outlier, as is pretty much any professional athlete.  Every single one of the guys is the exception to the rule.  Give me one great example where an NFL QB was mutilated because he was 6' 200lb?  I'll immediately respond with Sir Cameron Newton, who was and remains a freakish physical specimen.  All that size didn't stop his career from being destroyed.  The way he was used did, see point #3.

#3 - There are too many variables beyond the physical attributes that can impact a career to draw any definitive conclusion from size vs games started.  

• Pie 5
  • Flames 3

2 hours ago, Wolfcop said:

Yeah, Bryce could be our next franchise QB. It will be nice to hang onto. And I still like to have an occasional magazine to flip through and enjoy old-school style. 

yup, just subscribed to their yearly plan to receive a physical copy, just incase. definitely want to get that if he becomes our franchise QB

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, Newtcase said:

#1 - There are only 59 total quarterbacks since 1970 to start 100 games or more.  You're saying 11 of those 59 were short and light.  I'd bet a larger ratio of over 6' 210+ QBs fell short of the 100 game after starting 50.  Why?  It's a larger sample size.  

#2 - To say Bryce needs to be an outlier is outlandish.  Bryce IS an outlier, as is pretty much any professional athlete.  Every single one of the guys is the exception to the rule.  Give me one great example where an NFL QB was mutilated because he was 6' 200lb?  I'll immediately respond with Sir Cameron Newton, who was and remains a freakish physical specimen.  All that size didn't stop his career from being destroyed.  The way he was used did, see point #3.

#3 - There are too many variables beyond the physical attributes that can impact a career to draw any definitive conclusion from size vs games started.  

A big part of Newton getting destroyed came from the NFL treating him differently than every other QB. Since the rule changes to protect QBs, no other QB has been allowed to be pummeled like that and then told you're not old enough to get the call. That, more than anything, is what worries me about Young’s size. Not that he can't take a hit or avoid one, just that when he does take one he won't be protected to the same standards. 

4 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

At the combine Young measured in at 5' 10" and 204 pounds. There are 36 quarterbacks in NFL history who have played at least 50 games at six feet and 210 pounds or fewer. Eleven of them played in at least 100, most recently Drew Brees.

I mean this has to be acknowledged.  We are banking on the rarest of rare outcomes

It’s easier to get fatter than smarter trust me 

• Pie 3

40 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

A big part of Newton getting destroyed came from the NFL treating him differently than every other QB. Since the rule changes to protect QBs, no other QB has been allowed to be pummeled like that and then told you're not old enough to get the call. That, more than anything, is what worries me about Young’s size. Not that he can't take a hit or avoid one, just that when he does take one he won't be protected to the same standards. 

I feel like they will be pretty protective over him.  QBs barely get touched now.   And him being small will have the opposite impact of Cam.  They will probably flag the smallest contact because they are worried he can't take it.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Call Me James said:

Im past the fluff pieces from the Alabama scouting machine at this point.

He and the coaching staff need to perform.

Let the dude get drafted first. One thing I can tell you about him, he would rather focus on preparing than interviewing for fluff pieces. 

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Yeah. Only an idiot would do that. It’s what this franchise is. A fuging joke. Imagine 2/3 qbs being there at 9, and we traded all this poo for this kid, cause he knows what to do when the ball is snapped. This staff from scouts to coaches is really the worst part of all of this. Guy is already at his ceiling. Bad bad bad. 

20 hours ago, Wolfcop said:

18 hours ago, DeSim said:

yup, just subscribed to their yearly plan to receive a physical copy, just incase. definitely want to get that if he becomes our franchise QB

I plan on buying the printed SPORTS ILLUSTRATED  version, put it in plastic, hoping the version could be valuable years later if  Bryce Young becomes a Super Star and pass it on to my kids..

If he doesn't become a Super Star I will only be out a few bucks and no big loss.