• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hall of Famer Bill Parcells on Bryce Young's Size: 'He Better Walk on Water'

20 minutes ago, frankw said:

All kidding aside I refuse to take it for granted that the refs or the league will be overly concerned about us or our QB. Some folks have already penciled that in as fact. Don't be fooled.

You remember when that ref said to Cam that he wasn't old enough to draw a flag. When refs see Bryce Young he/she will probably tell him he isn't big enough to be on the field to draw a flag. The refs don't give a rats a** about the Panthers.

Edited by PantherOnTheProwl1523
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 1

50 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Parcells isn't exactly wrong but he's likely swayed by his experience as a coach. That was a different era with virtually no QB protections. He's probably imagining Lawrence Taylor coming screaming around the corner and straight up choke slamming him and now he's gotta attend a funeral.

He's worried by both his height and his weight. Brees could barely see over the Oline and he's 2 inches taller than Young.

I can just see NFL teams keeping Young in the pocket and strangling his creativity - and I don't think he can step into the pocket at that size. 

Either way it's a moot point 'cos it looks like our soon to be ex-GM is going to pick him. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

57 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Parcells isn't exactly wrong but he's likely swayed by his experience as a coach. That was a different era with virtually no QB protections. He's probably imagining Lawrence Taylor coming screaming around the corner and straight up choke slamming him and now he's gotta attend a funeral.

•  

I am not saying Parcells is  totally wrong but he is old school and the NFL has come up with new rules to protect QB's since he was coaching.

12 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

He's worried by both his height and his weight. Brees could barely see over the Oline and he's 2 inches taller than Young.

I can just see NFL teams keeping Young in the pocket and strangling his creativity - and I don't think he can step into the pocket at that size. 

Either way it's a moot point 'cos it looks like our soon to be ex-GM is going to pick him. 

Oh, they're absolutely to focus on getting pressure in his face. That's what LSU did last year that really put him off his game. Not a lot of outside blitzes or really even seemingly focused on sacking him. Just a lot of contain on the edges and heavy pressure up the middle to force him to see over the blitz and limit his throwing lanes. It worked pretty damn well.

• Pie 4

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Oh, they're absolutely to focus on getting pressure in his face. That's what LSU did last year that really put him off his game. Not a lot of outside blitzes or really even seemingly focused on sacking him. Just a lot of contain on the edges and heavy pressure up the middle to force him to see over the blitz and limit his throwing lanes. It worked pretty damn well.

jada pinkett smith that part GIF by Red Table Talk

8 minutes ago, KatsAzz said:
  •  

I am not saying Parcells is  totally wrong but he is old school and the NFL has come up with new rules to protect QB's since he was coaching.

I don't think he's solely talking about injuries though. He's also talking about being able to effectively play the game at the NFL level at that size. Yeah, it can be done. But yeah, you've gotta be REALLY damn good and really creative to make up for the physical shortcomings.

I mean, Smitty was a dominate outside #1 NFL WR at 5'9" but who else is there that fits that mold? You're kinda talking about a one of one type situation. That's what we need Bryce Young to be. One of one. Yeah, that's a big ask. That's what Parcells is getting at.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

He's probably imagining Lawrence Taylor coming screaming around the corner and straight up choke slamming him and now he's gotta attend a funeral.

And Joe Thiesman at the other end of that blind side hit.  You could almost hear that bone break through the television set.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, bythenbrs said:

And Joe Thiesman at the other end of that blind side hit.  You could almost hear that bone break through the television set.

I mean, LT was a damn savage so when he immediately pops up and starts waving for the Redskins' medical staff instead of celebrating you KNOW it's bad.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't think he's solely talking about injuries though. He's also talking about being able to effectively play the game at the NFL level at that size. Yeah, it can be done. But yeah, you've gotta be REALLY damn good and really creative to make up for the physical shortcomings.

I mean, Smitty was a dominate outside #1 NFL WR at 5'9" but who else is there that fits that mold? You're kinda talking about a one of one type situation. That's what we need Bryce Young to be. One of one. Yeah, that's a big ask. That's what Parcells is getting at.

Yes, this!

It's what people don't seem to be grasping with those of us who don't want Young.

Stroud has a simpler path to be a good QB in this league, Young needs to be the literal best ever small QB to make this work.

We're not saying Young can't do it, but the odds are significantly smaller and it would take a more herculean effort for it to pan out.

It's also why I've said too many times to count, that part of what factors into the decision for me is everything we gave up for this pick.  If we had the top pick because we finished in last place last year and still had our other 2nd rounder this year, our first next year, our second the year after that, and still had DJ, then I'd be much more open to considering Young as the pick.  

(Spoiler alert, I'd still want to take Stroud in that situation as I think he's going to have a better career, but I'd be less against the idea of Young in that instance)

As if it didn't pan out and we saw it early, we would have the assets to make a move next year to draft someone else from a much deeper class.  Exactly what the Titans might do this year after taking Willis or what the Cardinals did after taking Rosen.  

All of this is also why I was so much against trading a haul to move up this year, too muddy of a QB class without a clear cut #1 to give up everything we did to move up.  I'd have been much more comfortable giving up more assets next year in a stronger class (and that's only if one of the Top 4 didn't fall to us at #9, which very well may have happened anyways).

• Beer 2