• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

ESPN lays off employees, with more cuts to come

ladypanther

25 minutes ago, Teddy2SuperBowlHeartBreaks said:

ESPN should reign in the talk shows and broadcast actual sporting events for most of the day. Or create a bunch of shows centered around athleticism/reality stuff like how MTV has 'The Challenge. Then Sportscenter at night to recap. Most of the network is people talking to each other all day. I remember 10 years ago when First Take was must see TV. The 'hot take' was a new concept. Its not 2010 anyway and now all of their shows are garbage and cheesy and why on earth is Kendrick Perkins on TV.

This will come off sexist / misogynistic but in the past I’d enjoy enjoy Linda Cohn or Suzy Kolber sprinkled in with actual knowledge of the subject. Somehow that transformed to having a bunch of airheads now on every show who while look amazing are basically talking airheads

IMG_3889.webp

IMG_3888.jpeg

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Ricky Prickles said:

With the price hikes into the magic kingdom and other parks of theirs? How come? They have nearly priced out hard working middle class families and are currently making it to the point that daddy must be a CEO just to take a family vacation there. I understand raising prices to go along with the price of everything else in society but look at their price raising over the past 20 years versus the average salary raise and you will see an enormous difference. They are not hurting for money at all. I see it as greed driven by far. It's their company and their right to do as they please but it is also others rights to say to heck with it and choose other vacation destinations of course as well. 

Happy to discuss :: opened a thread in nerdvana to avoid mucking up an ESPN convo.

2 hours ago, Teddy2SuperBowlHeartBreaks said:

like how MTV has 'The Challenge. Then Sportscenter at night to recap. Most of the network is people talking to each other all day. I remember 10 years ago when First Take was must see TV.

They did two seasons of a terrific Road Rules-style show called BEG BORROW AND DEAL, where the contestants had to go across the country) with zero cash, credit cards, or cell phones while they score points by competing various tasks

THE CHALLENGE is fantastic. 39 seasons (plus spin-offs) of must-see TV

http://www.espn.com/begborrowdeal/

1 hour ago, TheBigKat said:

This will come off sexist / misogynistic but in the past I’d enjoy enjoy Linda Cohn or Suzy Kolber sprinkled in with actual knowledge of the subject. Somehow that transformed to having a bunch of airheads now on every show who while look amazing are basically talking airheads

IMG_3889.webp

IMG_3888.jpeg

Crazy her glow up came later in life. She looks better at 60 than she did in her 20s/30s.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, Fenrir said:

ESPN and bigtime sports media is dying. Content creators on YT and streaming platforms are the next wave. Disney knows this and I would assume these moves are to free up capital to invest in modern platforms/programming. 

Disagree.    Fun fact: Disney+ is based on the streaming platform MLB built.

Sports still needs distribution for viewers, and streaming platforms don't have the $$ by themselves to pay the bucks that the leagues are looking for.   Read the ESPN oral history book for the details on the NCAA negotiations that had to happen for ESPN to even launch the channel. 

The leagues want maximum eyeballs. Going 100% YT content creators/streaming platforms will not give them what they want.

Jomboy's relationship with MLB is interesting in that he negotiated that the MLB can have 100% of the associated YT revenue in exchange for using their clips -- Jomboy makes their money on the in-video sponsorships.  If MLB balked at that arrangement, Jomboy would be nowhere.

(game show network forced Jomboy to pull some of his game show reviews due to copyright, for example)

Edited by PanthersATL

• 2 months later...