• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I don't think we're picking at 39...

Bear Hands

18 minutes ago, Captain Morgan said:

there's a couple of teams that have 2 picks behind us in the 2nd round.  I'd like to see one of them fall in love with a guy at 39 and trade us both 2nd rounders, but that is unlikely...still, if a team absolutely wants a guy...

The possibilities are endless and fun to run through scenarios...I am actually in favor of the combo trade up/down scenario where we package 39 and 93 (or 114).  There's teams just a tad behind us in R2, but ahead of us in R3.  

Potential Partners:

PIT: 32, 49, 80, 120 (notable picks)

GB: 42, 45, 78, 114

DET: 48, 55, 81, 151 (note there big gap is where we have picks 93, 114, 132, 145) We have connections, DET has needs that align with who could be available at 39.   

LAC: 21, 54, 85, 125 - They need impact guys to hit on with Herbert's peak.  I can see them trading up. 54 & 85 for 39 fits value.  Could even land a 2024 3rd included.  

SEA: 20, 37, 52, 83, 123, 151, 154 - They could turn around after picking 37 and give us 52, 83 and more for 39.  They have so many picks.  

CHI (again): 53, 61, 64, 103, 133 - Lets keep wheeling and dealing.  39 & 93 for 53, 64 & 133? 

If we're talking a straight up trade up - THE Potential Partner:

Buffalo - notable picks: 27, 59, 91, 130 - They need a RT, WR could be a luxury pick..if Addison slips past NYG & DAL, this is where I'd pounce if I'm Fitt.  We've got tight office connections, we can also jump NO so screw them.  BUF can land OTs like Mauch or Harrison at 39 (or even Hyatt or Downs)  

Idea: 39, 114, 2024 4/5 for 27 & 130 

Could then use a combo of 93, 130, 132, 145 for more wheeling into the top-100.  I prefer 4-5 impact players > quantity in this draft class.  

Edited by Bear Hands
  • Pie 3

53 minutes ago, rayzor said:

while the criticism has been the 1st round is pretty thin, i think the talent from 2-4 is pretty solid. not tons of starters maybe, but lots of really good role players.

I agree.  There's A LOT of very high upside R2-3 talent that just doesn't have the complete college career to make teams confident enough they'll blossom.   But the potential is undeniable.  

EDGE: Will McDonald, Ade Adebawore, Derick Hall, Tuli Tuipulotu

CB: Julius Brents, DJ Turner, Darius Rush, Emmanuel Forbes, Cory Trice

TE: Darnell Washington, Luke Musgrave, Sam LaPorta, Tucker Kraft (They would have all have been TE1 if they were in last year's class)

RB: Tyjae Spears, Kendre Miller, Zach Charbonnet

WR: Jonathan Mingo, Josh Downs, Tyler Scott, Marvin Mims

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Bear Hands said:

From Fit himself:

• We are already making calls
  • There is a group ahead of 39 we like and may (already) be targeting (Addison? Flowers?)
  • Also can go back 4, 5, or 6 spots and recoup some capital

Interesting.  Good interview:

I wonder if we could package 39 this year and something in the future to move up into the bottom of the 1st and take another offensive weapon?

it's fun having a GM who is ready and willing to move around during the draft. both because it makes watching the draft more fun and exciting, but also because (to me) it shows a GM who is comfortable with the relative values they put on players, and feels empowered to move around to extract as much roster value out of the draft that they can.

• Pie 3

48 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Fitt knows this might be the last ride for him. Dont screw this up or the seat is gonna get hot. Do what the owner wants.

Only way I could see Fitts seat getting hot is if Young completely shits the bed like Johnny Manziel in the NFL, which I don't see happening.  Other than that hes been a pretty great GM.  Especially with the stank of Matt Rhule washed off of him. 

1 hour ago, jfra78 said:

Been saying it all off-season, 39 is s perfect spot to trade back.  The gap is too long between 39 and 93

It makes too much sense. We recoup the pick from CHI.  Get back into the 50's. Essentially moving up from that 63rd pick and add a pick before that 93rd.  The talent at 39 could make this more likely and less likely. 

If a 1st round guy is there a couple teams will come sniffing around for a trade. But if we like him too we may stay put. 

We can plan for the future and build that defense in the draft. 

39 minutes ago, joemac said:

Only way I could see Fitts seat getting hot is if Young completely shits the bed like Johnny Manziel in the NFL, which I don't see happening.  Other than that hes been a pretty great GM.  Especially with the stank of Matt Rhule washed off of him. 

A good GM with no winning seasons? I see  your optimism but it doesn't work like that my friend, and thats not even including the fact that the draft picks and trades havent been exactly "knock out the park" esq either. Sure, now maybe there is progression, but the results on field count the most and it would be delusion to think he doesn't start getting heat if this season isnt a big turnaround.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Replace this with Oline guys. The line needs depth and possibly starters, depending on recoveries, in the worst way.

This is one of the worst OL classes in maybe a decade.  Maybe Daniels or Bradford but they're prob 4th-5th rounders.  Mauch & Avila are the only options IMO.  Can't force it IMO.

Edited by Bear Hands