• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I've adopted a newborn kitten

LinvilleGorge

The other four kittens are alive and well. The mom has them in our old barn. I found them all hanging out today. They're surprisingly okay with people. One walked right up to me.

What in the fug am I gonna do with these things? I don't want them producing dozens of wild stray cats. I'm not gonna kill them. So what do I do?

• 2 weeks later...

I think the other kittens likely perished. I've seen the mother several times over recent weeks but no signs of the kittens. We have a LOT of coyotes around. We have a LOT of hawks around. We have a LOT of owls around. It's a pretty rough go of it around here as a small kitten. I think my little bugger won the lottery getting abandoned as a newborn.

• Pie 1

20 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think the other kittens likely perished. I've seen the mother several times over recent weeks but no signs of the kittens. We have a LOT of coyotes around. We have a LOT of hawks around. We have a LOT of owls around. It's a pretty rough go of it around here as a small kitten. I think my little bugger won the lottery getting abandoned as a newborn.

So sad about the other kittens.  Many props to you for rescuing the lucky little kitty.

Luxury high-rise kitty condo.  That's awesome.  She will have sooo much fun with that.

I don't care what they say about you LG...you are a good dude!!

And....kitty is growing so fast.

How are the dogs doing with her? That last pic is so cute.

Edited by ladypanther
  • Beer 1

4 hours ago, ladypanther said:

Luxury high-rise kitty condo.  That's awesome.  She will have sooo much fun with that.

I don't care what they say about you LG...you are a good dude!!

And....kitty is growing so fast.

How are the dogs doing with her? That last pic is so cute.

Honestly, the dogs are great. Zero aggression and they've really calmed down and are careful around it. Koa (the Rottie) is really good and honestly he was the one I was worried about. He has a helluva prey drive and he's just plain mean as hell to anything not family. Strangers, strange dogs, any living creature unfamiliar... they all need to die. We found out my wife was pregnant literally days after getting him at 8 weeks old. We were clueless what we were getting ourselves into with pregnancy and a baby, especially with all family across the country. Long story short, Koa missed out on a lot of socialization during the most critical period of his development. But he's great with babies. Be it baby humans, puppies, kittens (didn't know until this), whatever. Maybe it's from basically being raised with a baby. I don't know. He was great with Luna (the pittie) when we got her at 8 weeks old and he's been great with the kitty. But he is NOT good with strangers or strange adult dogs. Those need to die in his mind. Luna is really good with it but she gets excited wanting to play and I get nervous and separate them. I'm confident she won't hurt it out of aggression, it's the possibility of accidentally stepping on it that concerns me

• Beer 2

8 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

But he is NOT good with strangers or strange adult dogs. Those need to die in his mind.

Sounds like Koa is very protective but knows who her family is....now including the kitty.  Is is great they are good with her.  So cute when big dogs and kittens are friends.