• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Should the Panthers pick a second QB?

hepcat

Let’s say all the rumors and pundits are right, and Bryce Young is drafted by the Panthers tonight. All signs point to the diminutive yet heady QB being the first overall pick.

Should the Panthers pull a 2012 Redskins, (who traded up to draft Robert Griffin III 2nd overall, and later drafted Kirk Cousins in the 4th round), and draft another QB?

Honestly I am not against it. Maybe later than the 4th round, but I don’t see it being a bad idea. Based on the QBs on the roster, there could be a spot for a later round QB. Andy Dalton is the backup and veteran mentor. But after that there’s Matt Corral, who wasn’t drafted by this staff and was said to be available via trade “for a ham sandwich” earlier this off-season, probably won’t even make the roster as it stands now. Jacob Eason is another practice squad level QB who is most likely just a training camp body. 

I could definitely see this playing out if the Panthers trade down from one of their other picks. If a player they like doesn’t fall to 39, maybe they trade down a bit and get some later round picks. Who knows. Either way, given Bryce Young’s small size while playing one of the most violent sports on earth, I don’t think hedging the bet is a bad idea.

• Beer 1
  • Poo 7

1 minute ago, poundaway said:

Give Corral a chance.

This right here. How the heck does so many throw him away by just some limited preseason action that he struggled in as a rookie followed by season ending injury? We have no idea what we have with him so why not keep him and develop him? Who knows, what if he developed into a legit starting QB in the NFL and one of the guys we have either the drafted QB tonight or Corral nets us a good future pick in a trade? Corral has lots of potential and we need to see what he has

• Pie 5