• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dave Tepper has become a major asset for the Panthers

TheSpecialJuan

The man made a mistake on his first coaching hire. Who hasn’t made a mistake in something you just started and have no real world “experience?” The key is learning from it and moving on. What I see now with this coaching staff is that he has learned his lesson.

• Pie 2

Time will tell. I think the Rhule mistake taught him a valuable lesson.

After that, each of his big hires have come after pretty exhaustive search processes.

What he said about Bryce not being a sure thing but having the best probability for success is the right stance to take on these things.

• Pie 2

33 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

The franchise has been terrible under his ownership.

Losing season after losing season, the PR disaster of the training facility etc etc.

How has he been a massive asset again?

Yeah, I find this funny as hell. Dude has been a train wreck from day one. Same people saying he’s an asset are the same people that think we are playoff contenders after drafting a rookie QB that is 4’10”, I mean 5’10”.  Lol. 

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

6 minutes ago, LegioX said:

The man made a mistake on his first coaching hire. Who hasn’t made a mistake in something you just started and have no real world “experience?” The key is learning from it and moving on. What I see now with this coaching staff is that he has learned his lesson.

yeah but like most of us wouldn’t have hired a college coach 

33 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Losing season after losing season, the PR disaster of the training facility etc etc.

He made massive mistakes 

he also admitted it and took massive  action to fix it

and threw money to get the very best coaching assets in the league 

it hurt me as a fan and ticket owner and I hated him but unlike a lot of owners, he admits he didn’t know what was doing and has tried like hell to fix it.

the proof is in the win loss record in any case in the pros 

I believe he has done everything he knows to do to get a winner now

I’m willing to accept that he owns his screwups and we start a new year now

it could be Dan Synder, Irsay or ole Jerry  given that billionaire club of dysfunction, I’m willing to give a clean slate 

• Pie 1

Well, he made a lot of mistakes.  A LOT of BIG MISTAKES.

But then it's looking better right now.  Was he saying "I order you to get the first pick?"  Or had he, Scott and Frank been talking about trading up, and Tepper was giving his go-ahead and do whatever it takes to get the best player?  There's a bit of missing context there.

I think the search for Fitterer, Reich and his staff, and the Qb evaluations shows that he's learning when and how to use his mouth.

3 minutes ago, ickmule said:

Yeah, I find this funny as hell. Dude has been a train wreck from day one. Same people saying he’s an asset are the same people that think we are playoff contenders after drafting a rookie QB that is 4’10”, I mean 5’10”.  Lol. 

His height actually isn't my concern with him. His playing weight of 175-180 is my concern, that's too light in the NFL. If he can safely get to 205 ish or at least 200 safely as a playing weight that pick makes more sense. 

Just now, carpanfan96 said:

His height actually isn't my concern with him. His playing weight of 175-180 is my concern, that's too light in the NFL. If he can safely get to 205 ish or at least 200 safely as a playing weight that pick makes more sense. 

20 extra pounds will change his speed unless he packs on 80% of that weight in muscle mass. I know folks trust our staff with this decision, but I don’t. Experts make poor decisions often. Just look at all of the round 1 QB busts in history. 

30 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

I mean that tweet shows that he pressured the GM to trade up to #1 overall. 

That's a meddling owner who knows about as much about football as your average Huddler.

Besides his vast wealth I just don't see how he's been an asset. He's had whatever the opposite of the Midas Touch is so far.

That’s not really true. I don’t want him overly involved but he knows more than the average Huddler. He was a minority owner with the Steelers for years and had to have picked up a little bit from that experience. Now he’s on the Panthers for four years and been involved with all the stuff. He definitely knows more than us. It always gets me that people still say that about Jerry Jones when he’s been running the Cowboys for 30 years or whatever it is he’s a Football guy at this point he might not necessarily be great at it but he has an idea of what he’s doing because he’s got a lot of experience.

• Pie 1

49 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

We’ve been terrible, period. 
Richardson owned this team for over 20 years and couldn’t get us back to back winning seasons? 

Drafted Hardy who went on to beat women. 

Drafted Caruth and I won’t even type the poo he did. 

Drafted Steve Smith who was a great player and one of the worst teammates of all time. 

You are upset over “poor pr” around a training facility that is a big nothing burger… let’s not forget Richardson was forced to sell this team for a reason. 

Tepper was handed a bad team and then swapped out a bad Ron for a terrible Rhule. He learned from that quick and assembled on paper what would be the best complete coaching staff we have ever had and I think now that we have a QB we have folks thinking playoffs right now. The franchise is in better position to be good going forward than we have ever been under the previous regime. 

• Pie 3

42 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

I mean that tweet shows that he pressured the GM to trade up to #1 overall. 

They were already talking about trading up to #2. Tepper is the one who said, "it's not that big a differential to go to #1 - so do that."

In the end, it was still Fitt and company that made that decision - but they had Tepp's support to make it happen rather than playing more conservatively.

• Pie 1