• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Round 3 - The Carolina Panthers Select DJ Johnson - EDGE - Oregon

rodeo

1 minute ago, Growl said:

okay then we’ve found your issue, your method of evaluation is bad.

a great coach and great QB play, especially if you’re supplementing with outside talent, is going to win you a lot of games, but you still need to draft well at least occasionally, that has a little tiny measure of importance for peak and sustained success.

you’re talking to someone who has a far more reasonable measure of what constitutes a successful draft class than most of this board who expects too much-even then the Seahawks haven’t done a good job of clearing the pole.

Well I’m glad you to hear you’ve got all the answers. Let me know when you become an NFL GM.

Until then your opinion is no more valuable than mine. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Pantherzilla91 said:

Well I’m glad you to hear you’ve got all the answers. Let me know when you become an NFL GM.

Until then your opinion is no more valuable than mine. 

Went back and couldn’t find a player you recognized huh 

Yeah, gonna be honest, this worshipping of the staff is beginning to get old. We get it. You trust the staff and they know 800 gorillion times more than any poster here about football or "Let me know when you're a GM" or whatever other derisive remark that appeals to authority. Going to someone who's upset about us trading up for a 25 year old project who had 9 sacks in 6 college seasons and talking about "muh staff" doesn't fuel conversation in any way. What is the point of even having a message board if you're going to do nothing but worship the front office and try to shut down any discussion that goes against any move we make? If you just want to grovel at our staff's feet just go to the Reddit or something.

It'd be one thing too if the staff had actually sustained success or even had a singular winning season under our logo leading up to this point but they don't. It's an unproven unit, Reich has a career win percentage 0.01 higher than Rivera did here yet you'd think we had just hired Bill B away from the Patriots. I understand that things have been dark around here for a long time and it's nice to finally have some hope but it's starting to get ridiculous how much of a pedestal our staff and front office are being put on after having proven nothing. Even if we had the greatest coaching staff in NFL history it's okay for folks to criticize them. Everyone makes mistakes, even the professionals.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

Johnson vs. UCLA

DJ is #2. Look for the edge with white tape on his arms. 

His athleticism shows in game. Combine speed shows. He looks strong. Very heavy handed and doesn’t get moved much. A few near sacks but DTR got the ball out. 

Struggled in space, but UCLA has good backs. Looks raw but he is raw. 

Overall good first impression to me. Incredible speed/power traits. Long arms. Didn’t get pushed around at all in this game. 

I’m more comfortable after a quick watch. 25 or not, if he can learn, he already has the prototype body/strength of a starting edge. No waiting on him bulking up. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, beo said:

Yeah, gonna be honest, this worshipping of the staff is beginning to get old. We get it. You trust the staff and they know 800 gorillion times more than any poster here about football or "Let me know when you're a GM" or whatever other derisive remark that appeals to authority. Going to someone who's upset about us trading up for a 25 year old project who had 9 sacks in 6 college seasons and talking about "muh staff" doesn't fuel conversation in any way. What is the point of even having a message board if you're going to do nothing but worship the front office and try to shut down any discussion that goes against any move we make? If you just want to grovel at our staff's feet just go to the Reddit or something.

It'd be one thing too if the staff had actually sustained success or even had a singular winning season under our logo leading up to this point but they don't. It's an unproven unit, Reich has a career win percentage 0.01 higher than Rivera did here yet you'd think we had just hired Bill B away from the Patriots. I understand that things have been dark around here for a long time and it's nice to finally have some hope but it's starting to get ridiculous how much of a pedestal our staff and front office are being put on after having proven nothing. Even if we had the greatest coaching staff in NFL history it's okay for folks to criticize them. Everyone makes mistakes, even the professionals.

Don’t blame us for providing facts, stats and reasoning while you bitter fans wanna continue rolling around in your negative slop like pigs in a pen. 

1 hour ago, Growl said:

I’m really trying not to pile on a consensus of criticizing the pick before I’ve seen the guy play, but it is frustrating to think we came out of last night without a player that will plug a gap from day 1. Those guys were available and we didn’t come away with any of them. 

now I feel like I’m asking a lot of this 4th round pick just to hopefully provide a guy who can compete for a starting spot while the 2nd and 3rd rounders develop. 

you don’t draft a guy for next season, you draft them for the next 5. I get it.

but when they’re there it’s hard to pass up, especially if the guy you’re taking is more of a project.

Edited by Growl

23 minutes ago, Pantherzilla91 said:

Find a player for what? I don’t follow Seattle.

All I know is they have made they playoffs and won games consistently more than we have so clearly they’re doing something right.

Great to hear, the rest of us do keep up. Don’t worry we’ll keep you filled in on what’s going on elsewhere.

8 minutes ago, rodeo said:

The guy i watched all through the process and whose analysis i really enjoyed the most quite liked this pick.

Most people out there are just blatantly "I haven't heard of him and didn't watch tape, so it's a bad pick."

Thanks for this. TFG has been a great watch this draft process and even has had former GMs on the show.

His descriptor and our presser really puts it into perspective.  We didn't need more speedy edge rushers like Burns, Haynes & Barno.  We needed a run defender & bull rusher.  That's exactly what this guy is.

Big for the run defense which we all agree was the big area of need.

• Pie 3