• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mike Kaye explains DJ Johnson pick

TheSpecialJuan

You can argue about the trade up and whether it was a reach. But if anyone is upset about the Mingo pick I'd say take a breather and look back at the fact we've had 7 winning seasons doing things the way we have heavily prioritizing the defense. As for the DJ Johnson pick you just have to hope Evero can and will coach him up. Is it possible he doesn't develop? Sure. But isn't that what attracted us to Evero as DC in the first place because he had developed guys who weren't necessarily stars into significant role players on a quality defense in Denver? You can either go glass half empty or glass half full on this. I don't blame anyone for taking either I suppose. This staff has plenty of experience but results still have to show in the win column so I'm eager to see them get to it.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 3

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Not by us, but Kevin Greene was drafted in the fifth 

Yeah there are a bunch of examples league wide also.  I just don’t trust scouting reports and draft grades anymore.  We were praised for getting YGM in the 2nd a few years back, and he hasn’t shown much of anything.  You just never know really

• Pie 2

Barely any quality college production with little experience at DE, he’s a 25yo rookie, and he punched a freaking fan last year so he’s a bit of a hot head.

I thought Reich said they were going to pick smart high character guys and not only did they ignore that here they actually traded up to do it. 

If this guy isn’t a complete bust I’ll be pretty surprised.

• Pie 3
  • Poo 4

Just now, tecc86 said:

We don't, just like we don't know he would have been there later

All it take is 1 team to like him as much as we apparently did.

then bite the bullet and go a different direction, look at the draft board there was a poo load of talent left that were other positions.  We got desperate and it bit us in the ass

Just now, Harbingers said:

Can he defend the run?

Not really

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/dj-johnson/32004a4f-4820-4752-6ea6-b2eea911de03

• Lacks run game recognition and shed timing.
  • Tackle technique will need work.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10073740-dj-johnson-nfl-draft-2023-scouting-report-for-carolina-panthers-edge

– When lined up head up on the tackle, he lacks block recognition and agility to avoid getting reached.

– He has a habit of gambling and leaving his gap early against the run.

– Struggles to break down and tackle in space.

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

Not really

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/dj-johnson/32004a4f-4820-4752-6ea6-b2eea911de03

• Lacks run game recognition and shed timing.
  • Tackle technique will need work.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10073740-dj-johnson-nfl-draft-2023-scouting-report-for-carolina-panthers-edge

– When lined up head up on the tackle, he lacks block recognition and agility to avoid getting reached.

– He has a habit of gambling and leaving his gap early against the run.

– Struggles to break down and tackle in space.

Ok then I’m trepidatious. Fair enough. I still like us picking D though. 

• Pie 1