• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Round 5 - The Carolina Panthers Select Jammie Robinson - S - Florida State

rodeo

15 hours ago, mc52beast said:

Can we all admit that picking up CJ has been a disappointment and he needs to move on?

I think he gets one more opportunity under the new staff, i.e. real NFL coaches who have NFL experience and can actually develop players, to see if there is enough worth working with longer term.  But I agree, he will be on a short leash and needs to show something in the next 90 days.  Watching him play, he has the tools but, I’m just not sure he has that burning desire to be successful at this level.

Perversely, the Djax injury may keep CJ around longer than he might otherwise.

• Pie 3

With all the safeties we have on the team and the coverage aspect being such a major part of Evero’s scheme, I can’t shake the feeling that if Jammie is a hit that the team might try to flip Chinn for some assets at the trade deadline next season. 

A lot will probably depend on how they deploy Chinn when we finally see the defense and where our record is at the time but yeah the emphasis on the safety position makes me think Chinn might be on notice.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, bythenbrs said:

I think he gets one more opportunity under the new staff, i.e. real NFL coaches who have NFL experience and can actually develop players, to see if there is enough worth working with longer term.

Great comment.  I think you can make an argument that coaching is more important in football than any other of the major professional sports. How many time have we've seen players labeled as bust or cut only to see them flourish under the tutelage of another coaching staff.

I'm not sad that either player is gone. But let's be honest. If this current coaching staff was coaching last year's team, I think the Panthers would have won our division with either Mayfield or Darnold playing the majority of the snaps behind center. They would have been able to get the most out of both guys, something that Rhule and Wilks were unable to do.

• Pie 1

22 hours ago, Soul Rebel said:

This guy has me pumped. Love the connection to Jaycee and the chip he's coming into the league with. It's a healthy chip and I think he's going to compete.

2023 Fifth Round Robinson DB > 2020 Fifth Round Robinson DB

Reminds you of the Kam Chancellor selection in the 2010 draft--the one that formed the foundation for the Seattle Legion of Doom defense.  Earl Thomas (1) and Kam Chancellor (5th round) were taken in 2010.  Richard Sherman was drafted in the fifth round in 2011. 

We have been so focused on offense, we may not have been paying much attention to what has been going on on the defensive side of the ball:  7 Free Agents, 2 Draft picks.

7 hours ago, bythenbrs said:

I think he gets one more opportunity under the new staff, i.e. real NFL coaches who have NFL experience and can actually develop players, to see if there is enough worth working with longer term.  But I agree, he will be on a short leash and needs to show something in the next 90 days.  Watching him play, he has the tools but, I’m just not sure he has that burning desire to be successful at this level.

Perversely, the Djax injury may keep CJ around longer than he might otherwise.

Seems like Evero is a no bs kinda guy. 

46 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Seems like Evero is a no bs kinda guy. 

I agree.  Just not sure how Djax injury will impact what would otherwise be a strictly performance decision.  A new wrinkle that I was not aware of when I made my earlier post, Monday is the deadline to extend the fifth-year option on both Brown and Henderson.  Brown will be extended for sure but Henderson almost assuredly not.  Researching a little deeper, Henderson's contract is structured such that his 2023 contract is fully guaranteed, and he gets paid whether he is cut before or after June 1; there are no cap savings unless he is traded.  Who would take him and his guaranteed salary at this point?  Nada, me thinks.

Given Djax injury and since we are on the hook for his salary in 2023 no matter what (excepting a trade), I think we are stuck with him for 2023.

Edited by bythenbrs
  • Beer 1

8 minutes ago, bythenbrs said:

I agree.  Just not sure how Djax injury will impact what would otherwise be a strictly performance decision.  A new wrinkle that I was not aware of when I made my earlier post, Monday is the deadline to extend the fifth-year option on both Brown and Henderson.  Brown will be extended for sure but Henderson almost assuredly not.  Researching a little deeper, Henderson's contract is structured such that his 2023 contract is fully guaranteed, and he gets paid whether he is cut before or after June 1; there are no cap savings unless he is traded.  Who would take him and his guaranteed salary at this point?  Nada, me thinks.

Given Djax injury and since we are on the hook for his salary in 2023 no matter what (excepting a trade), I think we are stuck with him for 2023.

Yeah the FA market is not good either, so hopefully he'll show some motivation from this new coaching staff. 

7 hours ago, BlackPanther22 said:

With all the safeties we have on the team and the coverage aspect being such a major part of Evero’s scheme, I can’t shake the feeling that if Jammie is a hit that the team might try to flip Chinn for some assets at the trade deadline next season. 

A lot will probably depend on how they deploy Chinn when we finally see the defense and where our record is at the time but yeah the emphasis on the safety position makes me think Chinn might be on notice.

The serious lack of ILB's might have Chinn moving up closer to the ball. He's kinda the only guy that can cover TE's, we got a lot of safeties but they're all sub 6'. It was obvious last year it was a waste to have Chinn sitting back at FS so the closer to the ball the better 

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Yeah both him and DJ Johnson were 3rd-4th round projections depending on the site/analyst pre-draft. Their selections may be a surprise to some, but they are warranted. 

With Jammie, I think there could be something here.  DBs can come out of these later rounds more than other positions. Time will tell.  I personally think he's a promising late rounder.  This dude is fun to watch.

Let us not forget, Evero was coaching the Rams secondary for nearly 7 years.  The guy knows his DBs and likes the guys that can play the "star" role.  That's also why I love Brugler's Pitre comp.  

• Pie 3

55 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

The serious lack of ILB's might have Chinn moving up closer to the ball. He's kinda the only guy that can cover TE's, we got a lot of safeties but they're all sub 6'. It was obvious last year it was a waste to have Chinn sitting back at FS so the closer to the ball the better 

Yeah I was wanting To’oTo’o or Sewell late for depth at ILB.

• Beer 1