• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Official UDFA thread

TheSpecialJuan

4 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

We’re fine at TE

- Hurst as the starter is going to be a very helpful middle of the field option for Bryce

- Ian Thomas falls back to his true blocking #2 TE role 

- Tommy Tremble becomes a talented 3rd option as a TE, H-back,FB type hopefully Thomas Brown can make better use than previous OC’s 

- Stephen Sullivan more of a big slot WR (was a wideout at LSU)

Fine...as in ok, mediocre, so-so?  I couldn't agree more.  Hurst is a #2 on most teams, Thomas will struggle to find work after the Panthers finally ditch him and Tremble is a #3.  Lol, you mentioned Sullivan as if he mattered.  Don't forget about Ricci!

• Pie 1

27 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

I think the two elite TEs went at the start of the 2nd round. I guess they had a higher grade on Mingo than Musgrave too.

Beyond that you're just adding bodies to the room. 

The talent at TE was better than WR this draft.  Desperate for a DJ replacement, the brass made a rash decision.  The WR class next year is looking good. Should have gone Edge and TE or vise versa. 

• Pie 1

Trying to do my depth chart and I really wish the NFL would go ahead and make the roster size 55. None of this 55 only for gameday bullshit. Every year I can say if only there were 2 more extra spots. 3-4 defenses especially could benefit from it. 53 also means carrying 2 QBs is ideal, especially for us and our 3-4 and figuring out who belongs there and who doesnt. A couple of the UDFAs would be nice to keep around to see if they fit.

Edited by KillerKat

47 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Fine...as in ok, mediocre, so-so?  I couldn't agree more.  Hurst is a #2 on most teams, Thomas will struggle to find work after the Panthers finally ditch him and Tremble is a #3.  Lol, you mentioned Sullivan as if he mattered.  Don't forget about Ricci!

Agree to disagree on Hurst.. Reality is he’s a 1st round talent drafted by a organization known for making good draft moves.. Hurst is a lot better then you think..

• Beer 2

1 minute ago, ECHornet said:

No he’s not. 

Only started more than 10 games once and only one 500+ yard season.   Going into year six and already on his 4th team.  Only target more than 40 times in two seasons; the other three seasons averaged two targets per game.

What part of any of that screams #1 TE?  It's sad that our TE room is so bad people think Hurst is a legit #1 TE.  I mean, he's definitely the  #1 TE on our team, but that's like saying a person with the highest grade in remedial studies is actually smart.

• Pie 2

13 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Agree to disagree on Hurst.. Reality is he’s a 1st round talent drafted by a organization known for making good draft moves.. Hurst is a lot better then you think..

Not saying he's bad, but he's a solid #2 on most teams.  I'm glad we have him because our TE room would be complete garbage otherwise.

Oh, as far as the Ravens are concerned, they drafted Andrews in the 3rd round the same year and cut bait with Hurst who was their first rounder.  That's the reason Hurst was available only after two seasons.  Can't have a 3rd rounder showing up your first rounder.

12 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Only started more than 10 games once and only one 500+ yard season.   Going into year six and already on his 4th team.  Only target more than 40 times in two seasons; the other three seasons averaged two targets per game.

What part of any of that screams #1 TE?  It's sad that our TE room is so bad people think Hurst is a legit #1 TE.  I mean, he's definitely the  #1 TE on our team, but that's like saying a person with the highest grade in remedial studies is actually smart.

^ = sad but true, truth. Our TE group is marginal at best.

14 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Only started more than 10 games once and only one 500+ yard season.   Going into year six and already on his 4th team. 

Evan Mathis ring a bell? Drafted by the Panthers, played less than a season for the Dolphins who released him, played for the Bengals where he was above average and then for Philly where he went on to be one of the best guards in the NFL from 2011-2013 - 6 years after being drafted.

Context and coaching matter. Maybe Hurst isn't a first round talent. Maybe he's nothing more than a 2nd TE. Then again, maybe this is his year and this is his context. We'll see.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 2

1 minute ago, Pup McBarky said:

Evan Mathis ring a bell? Drafted by the Panthers, played less than a season for the Dolphins who released him, played for the Bengals where he was above average and then for Philly where he went on to be one of the best guards in the NFL from 2011-2013 - 6 years after being drafted.

Context and coaching matter. Maybe Hurst isn't a first round talent. Maybe he's nothing more than a 2nd TE. Then again, maybe this is his year and this is his context. We'll see.

Sure does.  So you are saying it takes 6 years for some dudes to get it or or you taking an extreme outlier and trying to make a strong case?  Kinda like it takes 7 years to turn a NFL franchise around? 

In the three years when Hurst opposite an alpha TE on the roster, he took a back seat.  The two years (like this year with the Panthers) where he has little competition, he looked decent.

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

Sure does.  So you are saying it takes 6 years for some dudes to get it or or you taking an extreme outlier and trying to make a strong case?  Kinda like it takes 7 years to turn a NFL franchise around? 

I'm saying some players develop faster and some develop better in different circumstances under different coaches. Not remotely related to "7 years to turn a NFL franchise around." That's a red herring.

Just providing a little perspective rather than automatically assuming what he has been is what he will certainly be under new a context. Kinda like everyone did with Geno Smith last year. This kinda thing seems to happen every year with a handful of players. Rather than being "outliers," it seems to be an annual trend.

As I said, maybe you're right. Maybe he's nothing special. I prefer to wait and see how it plays out before passing judgement.

2 hours ago, 45catfan said:

No TE drafted and, while some spots remaining, no UDFAs signed yet either.  Are we really rolling with this TE group?  If Hurst misses any time, we are screwed.  That said, Hurst isn't exactly top-echelon among veteran TEs either.  The Ian Thomas experiment has run it's course.  Tremble is a H-back. Ricci and Sullivan are STs/practice squad guys.   Outside of Thomas being too much of a cap casualty, I can't fathom why he's still here.

1 hour ago, ladypanther said:

I wanted a TE....but one who could possibly be a stud for the future.  Not going to find one now.  Maybe next year.  For now...we roll with what we have.  At least we did an upgrade with Hurst.

Time to start pushing for im-699311?width=1280&size=1 in next year's draft.

• Flames 1