• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How bad was Hurney after the first round in 2011?

NAS

49 minutes ago, onmyown said:

He also claimed Will Grier was a better QB than Derek Carr. This was before Grier played a full season game.

Is this why Zod has disappeared from the forum?

To be fair, I wanted Trey Lance so badly a couple of years ago.  I must have made several threads about him.

12 minutes ago, NAS said:

No, just thought it was relevant to see who was drafted in the same year as Cam.  Here's hoping from this year's draft with Bryce, at least a couple of other pics turn out to be regular starters and contributors.  

Good idea.

And yeah, outside of Newton that draft was a sh-tshow.

• Pie 1

13 hours ago, SOJA said:

I remember when Pilares took that kickoff return back against Detroit some dude on here made a thread saying "ORDERING MY PILARES JERSEY!!!!"

In that thread, several people said “He’s the next Steve Smith!”. This is a theme that you see on this board for any  receiver we have had who is under 5’11” and has a returned a kick or punt with a bit of success and caught a pass or 2.

Edited by X-Clown
  • Pie 2

2012 wasn't much better. 

you had the typical 1st round hit (granted, maybe best player in panthers history), then one game of Frank Alexander, one year of Josh Norman, and that's it. 

but 2011, not even backup quality players; just Cam Newton and training camp fodder. You couldn't randomly pick players that bad. 

Edited by electro's horse
  • Pie 5

15 hours ago, SOJA said:

I remember when Pilares took that kickoff return back against Detroit some dude on here made a thread saying "ORDERING MY PILARES JERSEY!!!!"

Or that one game Brandon Hogan played against the Texans where he guided the WR out of bounds and made him ineligible to catch the ball. Genius CB!!

• Pie 2

26 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

2012 wasn't much better. 

you had the typical 1st round hit (granted, maybe best player in panthers history), then one game of Frank Alexander, one year of Josh Norman, and that's it. 

but 2011, not even backup quality players; just Cam Newton and training camp fodder. You couldn't randomly pick players that bad. 

I really thought Frank was going to be someone

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, X-Clown said:

In that thread, several people said “He’s the next Steve Smith!”. This is a theme that you see on this board for any  receiver we have had who is under 5’11” and has a returned a kick or punt with a bit of success and caught a pass or 2.

Me and X-Clown recalling the same random thread from 10 years ago 

Fist Bump GIF - The Office Michael Scott Steve Carell ...

• Pie 1

35 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

another question is how was hurney allowed to keep working after 2010

My conspiracy theory is that Hurney,  a former reporter, had a poo ton of dirt on Richardson and Richardson knew Hurney would blast him leaguewide if he wasn't given a really long leash. 

After cam newton was drafted in 2011, the panthers did not draft another offensive CONTRIBUTOR until kelvin benjamin in 2014. They also got trai turner in that draft. 

Before that you have to go back to 2008 and Stewart/Otah for starter caliber player. Highlights otherwise would be David gettis and Mike Goodson. 

5 seasons of drafts and hurney nailed one offensive starter. And not just that; no one else was even backup quality. 

just incredible what cam did here with so little help. 

If you really wanna be horrified, imagine the panthers if hurney hadn’t fleeced the bears for Olsen. 

• Pie 4