• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Monday Musings/Post-Draft Thoughts: FA Market, OLB, & TE

Bear Hands

Is OLB a concern?

We have Burns who's the one absolute lock at OLB.  Otherwise, Haynes has done everything asked of him and more, but will admit, his run defense is not good enough to have him opposite Burns.  So, MH more situational, a decent snap % is likely. YGM is a solid run defender but if we don't like him for the scheme, are we considering shipping him? 

Per Frank & Scott, they were clearly eyeing DJ in looking for a solid run defender (with pass rushing upside) taking priority at OLB.  Barno flashed last year in limited time, but you're asking a lot of a 6th rounder.  I still love his potential, he could stick.   

I should note, interestingly enough, this was also the weaker spot on Denver's defense last season.  So it may take more than one offseason to really find our guy opposite Burns.  I can see us rolling with Burns, Haynes, YGM, DJJ, & Barno...but let's not fully discount another add...why?...

Post-Draft/Early Summer Movement:

Last year, there were 3 trades post draft early May league wise and the FA market was heavy the first two weeks of May with nearly every team jumping back into things.    

Typically not a Free Agency frenzy zone, but it was busy last year.  If this year is similar, Iit will likely pick back up tomorrow as signings will officially not count towards comp pick formula. It's not a for-sure we pounce, I honestly don't expect it, but there are a few major notable guys still on the market:

Yannick Ngakoue

6'2 246, 28 years old

May not be a household name, but he's a rather balanced pass/run defender that racked up 12 sacks last year for Frank (& eventually Saturday).  Given the staff's familiarity, this could either be someone we move on, or we know we don't want/need.  After some solid years in JAX he's jumped around so maybe there's more to why he's not signed anywhere.  Regardless, I'd keep an eye on him if this defensive staff wants more assurance we're getting decent run defense in place with less rookies.   

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/yannick-ngakoue/10703

Leonard Floyd 

6'5 240, 30 years old

One that we're all likely more familiar with.  He's still playing at a high level, played pretty consistently in both pass & run defense last year for LA.

Frank Clark     

6'3 270, 29 years old

Another name many likely know like Floyd that we could make a move on.  Is still effective. 

buuuut....

Overall, let's not get too bummed if we don't sign anyone until preseason comes around, but these are guys we could consider.

Regarding the Tight Ends:

I am a bit disappointed we didn't come away with one from this class (damn you GB for grabbing Kraft).  Really liked Whyle and a few others as well beyond the top-5ish. 

However, Hurst should be fine and good to go as our starter.  With that being said, Tremble is going into a make or break season and I believe is being overlooked in a year he could jump Ian for playing time as a more appropriate TE2 capable of both blocking and receiving.  He reminds me of a guy Reich used as a TE2 in Trey Burton, but honestly can be a tad better.  I am in no way expecting him to blossom into some star TE, but he has decent talent as a TE2; he was #83 in his draft.  Has made more than a few big plays for us in limited time.  95+ passer rating when targeted.   

Do trades happen?

Potential guys on the move:

Yetur Gross-Matos - Just doesn't seem to fit.  

Ian Thomas - He took a pay cut so is more movable, or could basically keep the fort down as a backup to Hurst

Matt Corral - Is he worth a 6th/7th? Is his tweet being overblown? Or is he fine staying around and competing with Eason? 

Some Monday musings.  Okay back to work haha

• Pie 4

18 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Is OLB a concern?

We have Burns who's the one absolute lock at OLB.  Otherwise, Haynes has done everything asked of him and more, but will admit, his run defense is not good enough to have him opposite Burns.  So, MH more situational, a decent snap % is likely. YGM is a solid run defender but if we don't like him for the scheme, are we considering shipping him? 

Per Frank & Scott, they were clearly eyeing DJ in looking for a solid run defender (with pass rushing upside) taking priority at OLB.  Barno flashed last year in limited time, but you're asking a lot of a 6th rounder.  I still love his potential, he could stick.   

I should note, interestingly enough, this was also the weaker spot on Denver's defense last season.  So it may take more than one offseason to really find our guy opposite Burns.  I can see us rolling with Burns, Haynes, YGM, DJJ, & Barno...but let's not fully discount another add...why?...

Post-Draft/Early Summer Movement:

Last year, there were 3 trades post draft early May league wise and the FA market was heavy the first two weeks of May with nearly every team jumping back into things.    

Typically not a Free Agency frenzy zone, but it was busy last year.  If this year is similar, Iit will likely pick back up tomorrow as signings will officially not count towards comp pick formula. It's not a for-sure we pounce, I honestly don't expect it, but there are a few major notable guys still on the market:

Yannick Ngakoue

6'2 246, 28 years old

May not be a household name, but he's a rather balanced pass/run defender that racked up 12 sacks last year for Frank (& eventually Saturday).  Given the staff's familiarity, this could either be someone we move on, or we know we don't want/need.  After some solid years in JAX he's jumped around so maybe there's more to why he's not signed anywhere.  Regardless, I'd keep an eye on him if this defensive staff wants more assurance we're getting decent run defense in place with less rookies.   

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/yannick-ngakoue/10703

Leonard Floyd 

6'5 240, 30 years old

One that we're all likely more familiar with.  He's still playing at a high level, played pretty consistently in both pass & run defense last year for LA.

Frank Clark     

6'3 270, 29 years old

Another name many likely know like Floyd that we could make a move on.  Is still effective. 

buuuut....

Overall, let's not get too bummed if we don't sign anyone until preseason comes around, but these are guys we could consider.

Regarding the Tight Ends:

I am a bit disappointed we didn't come away with one from this class (damn you GB for grabbing Kraft).  Really liked Whyle and a few others as well beyond the top-5ish. 

However, Hurst should be fine and good to go as our starter.  With that being said, Tremble is going into a make or break season and I believe is being overlooked in a year he could jump Ian for playing time as a more appropriate TE2 capable of both blocking and receiving.  He reminds me of a guy Reich used as a TE2 in Trey Burton, but honestly can be a tad better.  I am in no way expecting him to blossom into some star TE, but he has decent talent as a TE2; he was #83 in his draft.  Has made more than a few big plays for us in limited time.  95+ passer rating when targeted.   

Do trades happen?

Potential guys on the move:

Yetur Gross-Matos - Just doesn't seem to fit.  

Ian Thomas - He took a pay cut so is more movable, or could basically keep the fort down as a backup to Hurst

Matt Corral - Is he worth a 6th/7th? Is his tweet being overblown? Or is he fine staying around and competing with Eason? 

Some Monday musings.  Okay back to work haha

No offense to Corral, but I would like to see him shipped for a pick and we draft a QB next year in the mid rounds.  Still going to be a deep draft at QB.  Remember, Dalton isn't a spring chicken and is Bryce's 'training wheels.' Young's frame was/is a major point of debate, so a more than adequate backup is absolutely necessary.

I would also sen YGM packing for a pick as well.  Lacking a first rounder, we will need extra picks in the mid-rounds or ammunition to move up to another slot in the mid-rounds for fringe starters.

Thomas will likely still be here as cap hit to cut him is ridiculous.  His post June 1st trade number is tolerable, but that's going to be hard to do as camp rosters are mostly rounded out.

21 minutes ago, Growl said:

Expect a signing at Corner and an option at Tackle. 

I agree with Tackle.  Who do we cut at CB to sign someone off of the street?

We have:

• Jaycee Horn
  • CJ Henderson
  • Donte Jackson
  • Eric Rowe
  • Keith Taylor
  • Stantley Oliver-Thomas
  • Rejzohn Wright
  • Herb Miller
Edited by TheCasillas

15 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

I agree with Tackle.  Who do we cut at CB to sign someone off of the street?

We have:

• Jaycee Horn
  • CJ Henderson
  • Donte Jackson
  • Eric Rowe
  • Keith Taylor
  • Stantley Oliver-Thomas
  • Rejzohn Wright
  • Herb Miller

I’m completely content to see virtually all of those guys gone.

It’s not unreasonable that Jackson starts the season on PUP or IR and is unlikely to play at 100% this season. Henderson will be here but nobody is going to feel good about it.
Maybe they’re banking on Eric rowe but I imagine they dip back in.

Edited by Growl

23 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

No offense to Corral, but I would like to see him shipped for a pick and we draft a QB next year in the mid rounds.

So trade a mid round QB that is on a rookie deal for what will probably be a later round pick than they used on him only to spend another mid round pick on another similar QB? Confused Dogs GIF by MOODMAN

That doesn't make a lot of sense. Unless Corral is a malcontent and disruption in the locker room, keep him until his deal runs out.

• Pie 3

3 minutes ago, Growl said:

I’m completely content to see virtually all of those guys gone.

It’s not unreasonable that Jackson starts the season in PUP or IR and is unlikely to play at 100% this season. Henderson will be here but nobody is going to feel good about it.
Maybe they’re banking on Eric rowe but I imagine they dip back in.

But who from the street would you sign? Many that are available in the CB space are on a fast downward trend in their careers.

4 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

So trade a mid round QB that is on a rookie deal for what will probably be a later round pick than they used on him only to spend another mid round pick on another similar QB? Confused Dogs GIF by MOODMAN

That doesn't make a lot of sense. Unless Corral is a malcontent and disruption in the locker room, keep him until his deal runs out.

If you are only looking at the draft position and saying they are similar.  Remember, Corral was a 3rd round pick is one of the worst QB classes in several years. Next year is a DEEP QB class.  So no, not exactly apples to apples.

2 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

If you are only looking at the draft position and saying they are similar.  Remember, Corral was a 3rd round pick is one of the worst QB classes in several years. Next year is a DEEP QB class.  So no, not exactly apples to apples.

You're assuming all the guys eligible to come out do and that all of them live up to the hype, which you know won't happen once people start picking them apart.

You're also assuming Corral is bad because he was a mid round pick in last year's draft. Yeah, the odds are greatly weighed against Corral ever becoming a starter in the NFL. But that doesn't mean he can't become a capable backup, which is all the Panthers should ever need from him providing Young becomes the franchise QB that people hope he is.

Edge:

Leonard Floyd

Frank Clark

Robert Quinn

Yannick Ngakoue

Jadeveon Clowney

OLB:

Melvin Ingram

CB:

Byron Jones

Marcus Peters

Shaq Griffin

Bradley Roby 

Ronald Darby (most recently played for Evero)

Casey Hayward

OT:

Taylor Lewan

Donovan Smith

George Fant

Eric Fisher

Isaiah Wynn

Ja'Wuan James

Greg Little (back on the market!)