• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Make Laviska Our Cordarelle Patterson?

tukafan21

7 minutes ago, poundaway said:

I like Shenault at WR.  I'd prefer to grab a FA back.

If Fournette can be had for under $2M, I'd swap him out for Hubbard. 

Hubbard cost's us $350k in dead money and saves us $2M over the next two years. 

Fournette is a vet a bruiser at the goalline and pretty good hands out of the backfield as a receiver.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Soul Rebel said:

If Fournette can be had for under $2M, I'd swap him out for Hubbard. 

Hubbard cost's us $350k in dead money and saves us $2M over the next two years. 

Fournette is a vet a bruiser at the goalline and pretty good hands out of the backfield as a receiver.

Fournette with a RB by committee on the cheap sounds good.

I'd keep Hubbard over Blackshear tho.

Edited by poundaway

57 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

At a minimum, I believe this suggests Shenault could be a proficient 3rd down back.image.thumb.png.e9945496730c9c2662ea2a3b1e2c069d.png

1000% against Shenault as a 3rd down RB.   We just drafted Bryce Young.  50% of the job as a 3rd down RB is pass protection.   RBs spend careers trying to get good at that job.   No way do I want Shenault testing those waters and learning while we got Bryce Young back there.  

There is a real strong argument made for a veteran 3rd down RB as a must add.  Someone that excels is pass protection.  Everything should be about Young.  Need solid folks back there on 3rd down that are going to help the rookie out and not get him murdered. 

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

1000% against Shenault as a 3rd down RB.   We just drafted Bryce Young.  50% of the job as a 3rd down RB is pass protection.   RBs spend careers trying to get good at that job.   No way do I want Shenault testing those waters and learning while we got Bryce Young back there.  

There is a real strong argument made for a veteran 3rd down RB as a must add.  Someone that excels is pass protection. 

Shenault is 10-15lbs heavier than our other RBs. I think he can handle the job as adequately as our other RBs.

6 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

Shenault is 10-15lbs heavier than our other RBs. I think he can handle the job as adequately as our other RBs.

well, my point stands, I get ZERO interest in watching Shenault try to figure out NFL pass protection with rookie Bryce Young back there.  That's a recipe to get our #1 overall draft pick injured. 

And his weight over the other RBs has frankly nothing to do with his ability to pick up NFL pass protection overnight.   Some RBs have spent a career trying to get good at that and still can't. Too much emphasis on what he does with schemed up pass plays IMO. 

Give me Fournette.  Vet that has seen it all.  Solid in pass pro.  Don't care if Shenault can take a screen pass farther. 

52 minutes ago, CRA said:

And his weight over the other RBs has frankly nothing to do with his ability to pick up NFL pass protection overnight.   Some RBs have spent a career trying to get good at that and still can't. Too much emphasis on what he does with schemed up pass plays IMO. 

Give me Fournette.  Vet that has seen it all.  Solid in pass pro.  Don't care if Shenault can take a screen pass farther. 

Frankly, Shenault struggling to pick up pass pro is something you've invented in your own mind. Could he struggle with it? I suppose that's a possibility, but he's shown to be more physical with the ball in his hands than any of our other backs. That gives him a leg up already. Add that he has more mass and he may be our best back at pass pro on the roster this year.

Edited by ECHornet

15 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

Frankly, Shenault struggling to pick up pass pro is something you've invented in your own mind. Could he struggle with it? I suppose that's a possibility, but he's shown to be more physical with the ball in his hands than any of our other backs. That gives him a leg up in pass pro already. Add that he has more mass and he may be our best back at pass pro on the roster already.

I'd say you are downplaying how difficult pass pro is in the NFL.  You are suggesting a WR can basically walk off the street and be great a NFL pass protector in the backfield..... and do it at a high enough level not to worry about your huge investment just made in a small rookie QB. 

may be our best back at pass pro already? wut? 

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

I'd say you are downplaying how difficult pass pro is in the NFL.  You are suggesting a WR can basically walk off the street and be great a NFL pass protector in the backfield..... and do it at a high enough level not to worry about your huge investment just made in a small rookie QB. 

may be our best back at pass pro already? wut? 

I'd agree with you for a typical WR, which Shenault is not. He's repped at RB before and is more of a hybrid player in the mold of Deebo or C Patterson. I trust our coaching staff could get him up to speed since he's both bigger and more physical than our other backs. I think you're downplaying the role those two traits play in pass pro. 

20 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

I'd agree with you for a typical WR, which Shenault is not. He's repped at RB before and is more of a hybrid player in the mold of Deebo or C Patterson. I trust our coaching staff could get him up to speed since he's both bigger and more physical than our other backs. I think you're downplaying the role those two traits play in pass pro. 

They schemed Shenault up in the backfield for offensive plays.  That's not repping him as a RB. 

Atlanta just didn't just throw Patterson out there and task him with protecting a #1 overall RB pick.  He went out there with a 10 year vet/Pro Bowl/MVP QB.   And pass pro was the hardest part per Patterson.  A completely different world per him.  He also had the luxury of a vet QB to help tell him with blitz recognition.  

More importantly, the staff in Atlanta had been working with Patterson well before he signed with Atlanta.  The staff had been working with Patterson in Chicago on transitioning positions before his Atlanta success.  It wasn't just a move positions in the offseason type deal that instantly worked out. 

some of the best 3rd down RBs in pass pro aren't big dudes.  It's years of play recognition and technique. 

That's not looking out for Bryce Young giving him Shenault as an actual 3rd down RB.   Too much pass pro involved to screw a rookie QB that hard. 

7 hours ago, CRA said:

We still lack vertical speed on the outside.  We are a Chark injury (which happens every year) away from not having that role filled. 

We seem to have an abundance of competition at the slot and for possession roles with the top end of the depth chart. 

People forget TMJ ran a 4.38 40.  He is very fast, and very much a vertical threat. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Smithers said:

People forget TMJ ran a 4.38 40.  He is very fast, and very much a vertical threat. 

TMJ ain’t got 4.3 speed.  LSU might say so.   When LSU wasn’t on the timer he logged 4.5 at the college combine. Which matches more his game day appearance.

he is a possession WR