• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fitt talks about trading on PFP PM

From a PFT article about the interview...

In a Tuesday interview with #PFTPM, Carolina G.M. Scott Fitterer addressed the manner in which the team decided to make Bryce Young the No. 1 overall pick.

“We went through a really continuous process, and we tried to poke holes,” Fitterer said. “We looked at him from every different angle. We went to our analytics guys, we went to player engagement, went to, like, the psychologist. You look for anything that you might miss just on tape and on evaluation. We have all these fact checks in place.

“Once that person’s able to stand in there and stay at the top of the board the whole time, you know you have your guy. But it was a real process. We really didn’t decide until the Monday prior to the draft. When I went and walked into Frank’s office said, ‘OK, who we taking?’ You know, just kind of a quick question. He said, ‘Bryce.’ I talked to Mr. Tepper about it. I think we were all on board. It was a consensus throughout the organization Bryce was the right guy for us.”

Fitterer was asked whether there was a moment that, for him, Young emerged as the right choice.

“The one thing that stands out is probably at dinner, the night before his Pro Day,” Fitterer said. “We’re sitting in a restaurant, and we’re talking to him. And this is the first time, you know, you’ve interviewed him at the Combine in an 18-minute interview. We’ve talked to him at other places, but this is the time you see him in a social setting, where we’re sitting around a table, and we’re really just getting to know the guy, and he’s holding court. We had a couple-hour dinner with him, and as you’re sitting there at dinner, you’re just looking at this guy, and I’m thinking in my head the whole time, ‘OK, is this the right guy for us? Is this the guy we want kind of being our face? Is he the one we want leading our team in the huddle when it’s the fourth quarter?’ And you have all these questions in your head as you’re sitting at dinner just watching him talk to other people. And that’s kind of the moment that I had personally where I thought, ‘OK, this is the guy. This is the guy that we want leading the team.'”

So how does the manner in which Young handles himself at dinner create confidence that he’s the right guy to lead the team on the field?

“You feel the presence of the player, just like the command that they have,” Fitterer said. “As he’s sitting there at dinner, he was so poised and you’re like, ‘OK, if I put this guy in a huddle,’ if Frank and I saying, ‘This is the guy, we’re putting him in the huddle, game’s on the line.’ Bryce is the guy we want our players looking at, knowing this is the guy that can get it done for us. We can win with this guy. And I think that’s kind of where that social part overlaps in the football side when you get to know the person and not just the player.”

• Pie 4

Fitt called the fifth rounder "JAMMIE" like the stuff that looks like jelly or preserves.  JAM.

I think in is pronounced Jamie--with a long A vowel sound.  That is revealing.  It means Fitt might have picked him because he was hungry--not the player--Fitterer.  I need to know more!

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

From a PFT article about the interview...

In a Tuesday interview with #PFTPM, Carolina G.M. Scott Fitterer addressed the manner in which the team decided to make Bryce Young the No. 1 overall pick.

“We went through a really continuous process, and we tried to poke holes,” Fitterer said. “We looked at him from every different angle. We went to our analytics guys, we went to player engagement, went to, like, the psychologist. You look for anything that you might miss just on tape and on evaluation. We have all these fact checks in place.

“Once that person’s able to stand in there and stay at the top of the board the whole time, you know you have your guy. But it was a real process. We really didn’t decide until the Monday prior to the draft. When I went and walked into Frank’s office said, ‘OK, who we taking?’ You know, just kind of a quick question. He said, ‘Bryce.’ I talked to Mr. Tepper about it. I think we were all on board. It was a consensus throughout the organization Bryce was the right guy for us.”

Fitterer was asked whether there was a moment that, for him, Young emerged as the right choice.

“The one thing that stands out is probably at dinner, the night before his Pro Day,” Fitterer said. “We’re sitting in a restaurant, and we’re talking to him. And this is the first time, you know, you’ve interviewed him at the Combine in an 18-minute interview. We’ve talked to him at other places, but this is the time you see him in a social setting, where we’re sitting around a table, and we’re really just getting to know the guy, and he’s holding court. We had a couple-hour dinner with him, and as you’re sitting there at dinner, you’re just looking at this guy, and I’m thinking in my head the whole time, ‘OK, is this the right guy for us? Is this the guy we want kind of being our face? Is he the one we want leading our team in the huddle when it’s the fourth quarter?’ And you have all these questions in your head as you’re sitting at dinner just watching him talk to other people. And that’s kind of the moment that I had personally where I thought, ‘OK, this is the guy. This is the guy that we want leading the team.'”

So how does the manner in which Young handles himself at dinner create confidence that he’s the right guy to lead the team on the field?

“You feel the presence of the player, just like the command that they have,” Fitterer said. “As he’s sitting there at dinner, he was so poised and you’re like, ‘OK, if I put this guy in a huddle,’ if Frank and I saying, ‘This is the guy, we’re putting him in the huddle, game’s on the line.’ Bryce is the guy we want our players looking at, knowing this is the guy that can get it done for us. We can win with this guy. And I think that’s kind of where that social part overlaps in the football side when you get to know the person and not just the player.”

I do worry that they've fallen in love with the person, rather than the player. 

• Beer 1

10 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

We’re well aware of your worries. 

Your post could be seen as a legitimate concern, but when you’ve spent the majority of the discussions expressing one concern after another, a potentially valid point gets watered down. 

Surely you agree the decision wasn’t solely based on social skills at dinner, even if that was the confirmation for ONE of the decision makers. Try to see the upside. 

• Pie 8
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

I see what your saying as they do reference that dinner a lot but at the same time the NFL had consensus that he was the best QB hands down. The tape proved that.

I think the dinner confirmed who he is and they fell in love with the person at that point..

No different then at your job. You interview the person because their resume qualifies them. The interview doesnt show their competency, it just lets you get to know them and thats the deciding factor between you and the other candidate. 

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, ECHornet said:

We’re well aware of your worries. 

Your post could be seen as a legitimate concern, but when you’ve spent the majority of the discussions expressing one concern after another, a potentially valid point gets watered down. 

Surely you agree the decision wasn’t solely based on social skills at dinner, even if that was the confirmation for ONE of the decision makers. Try to see the upside. 

Yeah we moved up to 1 with Young in mind way before we sat down to dinner with him.