• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2023 NFL Draft’s best scheme fits: Bryce Young

1. Bryce Young, QB, Carolina Panthers

Play style: Advanced processor inside and outside of the pocket

Scheme: Adjustable scheme

Head coach Frank Reich is one of the best at adjusting his scheme to his quarterback’s strengths. The Panthers’ strength on offense is their offensive line and run game. They’ll lean into a multiple-run game and quick-hitting play-action plays like drift concepts in the middle of the field and movement concepts that will get Young outside of the pocket. As far as the regular drop-back concepts (no play action), the offense will likely look closer to Reich’s 2020 offense with a 39-year-old Philip Rivers under center — a lot of shotgun quick game with some RPOs, as well as drop-back concepts that attack the middle of the field. Though shorter quarterbacks tend to avoid the middle of the field, Young has shown he throws with enough anticipation to not only avoid that trope but excel in that area.

The Panthers have some big targets in DJ Chark, Terrace Marshall Jr. and rookie Jonathan Mingo on the outside, along with Adam Thielen in the slot. Young doesn’t have the biggest arm so he’s not going to be launching deep shots too often, but the group’s lack of speed and ability to separate is a bit concerning.

Young’s height and stature make having a dependable offensive line even more important, and the Panthers have a strong pass-blocking guard duo in Brady Christensen and Austin Corbett. They’ll give Young space to operate in front of him and keep his sight lines clean. Left tackle Ikem Ekwonu, who was picked sixth overall in 2022, had a promising rookie season, and right tackle Taylor Moton is a plus starter. Though pressure is mostly controlled by how long a quarterback holds onto the ball, the line will do its part in limiting pressure.

Young’s ability to handle a lot of information, Reich’s ability to shape an offense around his quarterback and the Panthers’ strong offensive line should lead to success early for Young.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

I can’t wait to see this dude play. Idk how it’s going to look. They probably want to get the ball out quick but Bryce does some of his best work when he can move guys around a bit. Need a mix of both. 

Edited by Growl
  • Pie 2

11 minutes ago, Growl said:

I can’t wait to see this dude play. Idk how it’s going to look. They probably want to get the ball out quick but Bryce does some of his best work when he can move guys around a bit. Need a mix of both. 

It'll be a refreshing change of excitement mixed with a charismatic, good guy leader. We deserve this. 

Happy to enjoy the ride with all of you. 

• Pie 3

I am pumped for this team facelift. From coaching, to players, to schemes and systems....it truly is a new era of Panther football. 

What I'm most excited about is the look of our offense and defenses - Reich/Brown/Caldwell's fingerprint and Evero/Capers identity.

I recall Reich's Colts' teams having a unique style of offense. I liked formations, motions, running game, etc. and remember that it doesn't look like a lot of team's in the league. Same with the Chargers too a little bit.

The Broncos' defense, again, doesn't resemble a lot of the teams in the league. The multiple looks they give, the way they disguise and create mismatches advantageous to the D is brilliant. Certain players are needed to thrive in it, and I think these players have been brought in. Not necessarily "sexy" names on paper (Tuttle, Williams X 2, Penisini) but ones that fit what will work in this scheme.

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, PanthersATL said:

Sounds a ton better than the previous regime's playbook of "Hand the ball to CMC, or throw it somewhere"

lol...but true

Frank has said he's going to start out calling plays because everyone knows that's a strength with him.  And now he finally has his quarterback that really fits what he wants to do.   We're on our way.

Edited by Captain Morgan

2 minutes ago, Captain Morgan said:

lol...but true

Frank has said he's going to start out calling plays because everyone knows that's a strength with him.  And now he finally has his quarterback that really fits what he wants to do.   We're on our way.

watch Bryce gets hurt 

• Poo 3

Just watched a video where Mike Florio was making fun of Fitty and his dinner with Bryce.  Fug that guy.  Holy shet what a fuggin punk he and that loser Chris Simms are.   Sorry for the terrible grammer but fug both of those punks

Edited by Shocker

2 hours ago, PanthersGTI said:

An interesting thought for those who know Xs and Os better than me. How would the Rams adjust their offense to fit Young? It sounds like Brown has a big part in the playbook. 

Completely different roster layout than the LA superbowl year so hard to say. They had a poo run game so it was basically throw it to Kupp and OBJ when healthy