• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers have one of NFL's most 'obsessive' fanbases

TheCasillas

8 hours ago, onmyown said:

Disagree. Raleigh isn’t used to teams that are god awful, perennial losers. That’s the difference. 

If you have ever been to a Panthers or Hornets playoff game back in the day, you’d know full well what Charlotte is capable of.

But when you average 5/6 wins over half a decade, or worse, you’ll see the lull. Not to mention never having back to back winning seasons. I’m almost 30 years. That’s insane. Zero momentum. Anyone who got interest lost it.

It’s simple really, this franchise needs real success. You want people to spend $250+ to sit in the hot sun and get loud in a stadium they paid for, more than 7 winning seasons sprinkled in 27 years might help.

I will remind you that the Canes went through a 9 year playoff drought and the attendance DEFINITELY reflected it.

Any team will suffer in those conditions.

The Panthers are in the worst period in franchise history, so some of our attendance issues should be very understandable.

• Pie 3

7 hours ago, toldozer said:

No one is moving to Raleigh dude. Radio has been ragging on the canes playoff atmosphere for weeks

Uhhh, I’ve been to two playoff games this year and it’s just as electric as last season. I will say the fan base is currently somewhat apathetic due to the injuries. Canes would probably be the cup favorite if they were healthy. There is no compression to the atmosphere of a Canes game and Panthers game, playoff game of not.  

I think fanbases in the Northeast are much more obsessed with their teams.  College football rules the land in the SE and I think fans are much more focused on their college teams than the NFL.  It is also true that Panthers games have fans from many other teams, but I think that has more to do with the shift in demographics as more people leave the NE for better weather and other reasons that will turn this political so I'll leave those off lol.  

10 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

That was in the 90's bro. Those people are old now. 

It has nothing to do with winning or losing. Even when we had that historical run in 2016 the stadium was still 60/40. It's the location. 

Raleigh has always had a strong fan base. We support our teams college and NHL. I promise you if the Panthers or Hornets were in Raleigh you would see a totally different fan reaction at the games. They hardcore and loud. Charlotte fans are laid back.

No disrespect to the city of Charlotte, but the fans are just not into their teams as we are. Come to a Canes or Pack game and tell me you don't notice the difference.

I attended every home game during the 2015 season and it was nowhere close to 60/40 opposing fans. 

it has everything to do with winning/losing. Show me how well attended a Canes game is after 5 consecutive losing seasons.

From a simple demographics standpoint Charlotte had almost 2x the population and a higher median household income, move would never happen.

But there’s nothing stopping all the dedicated fans in Raleigh from making the 2 hour trip to Charlotte and joining the fun.

• Pie 2

10 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

That was a single game. I remember that season and our crowd was still 60/40.

You are delusional if you don't think we have one of the weaker fanbases in the league. Im going to a Seahawks game later this year just to experience what it feels like to have a true rowdy crowd. I hear that place is a hell of an atmosphere.

How many games have you been to the last five years?

Also…

Average ticket price for a Canes game is $60 with a seating capacity of 18k

Average ticket price for a Panthers game is $239 with a seating capacity of 70k

So using turnout at a Canes game as evidence of more dedicated fans is absurd.

Edited by CatMan72
  • Pie 1
  • Poo 1

11 hours ago, Stuart Smith said:

Exactly! The 2015 NFC Championship game against Arizona was one of the loudest crowds in Charlotte History. We have not had any sustained success with any of our pro teams in N.C. (Hurricanes are getting there) That’s what it takes to build a solid fan base. As much as half the fan base talks half the time about wanting to “tank” it does not endear me to drop 3 or 4 hundred dollars and drive 150 miles to see a football team. Do not underestimate how many PSL owners are from areas 50 to 125 miles from the stadium. 

I agree with you but do think it’s funny about the “tank” comment. I laugh because it’s considered such a bad term and anyone considering it isn’t a fan. We have 7 winning years out of 27, no back to back winning seasons and we have a high of 7 wins in the past 5 years. The people calling for a tank are just wanting the team to win consistently and find our franchise QB again. The teams with the strongest fan bases have HOF QBs and multiple SB wins. That’s all the tankers want and hopefully Young is it. Sucks we had to give up so much but if he’s it, we’ll see the bigger fan base. Right now the obsessives are the only ones really thinking about the team.

12 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

We have one of the weaker fanbases for sure. We had the #1 pick in the draft and I only saw 9 Panther fans in the crowd.

BOA is 60/40 on a good day. Charlotte is flooded with fans of other teams.

I keep saying this, but the crowd support would be much higher if the team was moved to Raleigh. Just something about Charlotte the crowd is just not loud enough. The Hornets games are the same way smh.

Yeah and let's ignore the 7 thousand who went to the stadium in pouring rain to find out we were picking Bryce which everybody knew. Then over 1000 fans met Bryce to welcome him the next morning. Just because you keeping saying something doesn't make it true.

Edited by panthers55
  • Pie 3

12 hours ago, onmyown said:

Disagree. Raleigh isn’t used to teams that are god awful, perennial losers. That’s the difference. 

If you have ever been to a Panthers or Hornets playoff game back in the day, you’d know full well what Charlotte is capable of.

But when you average 5/6 wins over half a decade, or worse, you’ll see the lull. Not to mention never having back to back winning seasons. I’m almost 30 years. That’s insane. Zero momentum. Anyone who got interest lost it.

It’s simple really, this franchise needs real success. You want people to spend $250+ to sit in the hot sun and get loud in a stadium they paid for, more than 7 winning seasons sprinkled in 27 years might help.

There is some truth to this but how  do you explain the Browns and the Jets? Both have very strong fan bases and have had much less success than the Panthers the last 30 years. 

1 hour ago, CatMan72 said:

Also…

Average ticket price for a Canes game is $60 with a seating capacity of 18k

Average ticket price for a Panthers game is $239 with a seating capacity of 70k

So using turnout at a Canes game as evidence of more dedicated fans is absurd.

i would be a whole lot more interested in going to panther games if the tickets were even half what they are. drop it below $100 and i'm taking the family. as it is, that's just one of those luxuries that i cannot really afford and really don't want to add to my life, especially considering the gas and time to drive down and the cost of concessions. i chose a simpler, less stressful life and that is one of the perks that i feel fine giving up for that simpler life. 

but i think there would be a lot more local folks and fans who would go if the tickets were more affordable.

• Pie 2

9 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Now this is hilarious!

Charlotte is a smaller version of Atlanta. It's growing but to say it's where the money is crazy. NC as an entire state is not very rich. If you want land and a farm NC is the place to be. Otherwise not many rich people in NC in general.

The money is in bigger markets like LA/NY those places are where you find millionaires/billionaires. 

No, Charlotte is literally where the money is. It's the largest banking/financial center outside of NY in the entire United States.

• Pie 5