• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Potential $1.2B Panthers stadium renovation discussion

Lame Duck

44 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't see how they're gonna spend the equivalent of damn near top dollar for a modern new stadium and NOT put a dome over BOA. There's gonna be serious fat involved in the project to line the appropriate pockets, but damn... you're still going to have to do some MAJOR work to justify 10 figures of spending on paper.

It's also to pay for a new practice facility, hopefully that eats up enough of the budget that we don't try to put a dome on the stadium. 

Some of my favorite games have come in the elements, and two of our division rivals are dome teams. The elements have played to our advantage vs teams like the saints on several occasions, most memorably the monsoon game in 2013 which is one of my all time favorite games I've ever attended (and I've been to every home game since that season and many many prior). 

Football is a game meant for the outdoors, and the elements make it even more fun for me and more difficult for our opponents. Keep the stadium open air!

Edited by Purrnicious
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1

28 minutes ago, Pantherzilla91 said:

What an ignorant post 

Based on your stance here and past remarks blasting anyone not showing 100% unflinching positivity toward the team I'm guessing you take the sycophant approach to billionaire owners.

John Oliver Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Pie 2

I just hope this doesn't go anything at all like the fiasco that was the new state of the art practice facility. Which btw it would be very nice to have one of those right about now for this new staff and roster after all we gave up for the opportunity to select first overall.

19 minutes ago, Smithers said:

For reference, the recently announced new Titans stadium is 2.1B.  A renovation cost this high must include something extravagant.  

The devil is in the details with these stadium deals. This will be done Teppers way and who knows what that will be. He strikes me as someone who would want something to make Jerry Jones jealous. 

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

Have you seen the cost of materials and labor in the construction industry lately?! A new stadium like Jerry World would cost over $3B today.  I would have to see the details of this "renovation" being proposed before I have an educated opinion on this venture.  

Yeah.

The number is still absurd for a renovation. And likely why it's being pushed for now. Get those numbers locked in before a likely recession drives down the ultimate cost and cash in on the good will of our shiny new #1 overall QB.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah.

The number is still absurd for a renovation. And likely why it's being pushed for now. Get those numbers locked in before a likely recession drives down the ultimate cost and cash in on the good will of our shiny new #1 overall QB.

I'm not sure anyone wins if a recession hits. 

• Pie 4

45 minutes ago, The Crown and the Claw said:

*NO INSIDER INFO ON THIS TOPIC*

However I did want to clear up misconceptions like this one. City/County Governments have entertainment and tourism budgets earmarked specifically for projects like these. They CANNOT use that money for things such as schools or other infrastructures. It is a completely different pool of resources and does not impact in any way the other budgets

Finally, a voice of wisdom!!

• Pie 2

15 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I'm not sure anyone wins if a recession hits. 

The wealthy elite ALWAYS win in economic downturns. That's when they can further concentrate wealth and holding just now at a sweet discount!

A David Tepper could lose 99.9% of his net worth and STILL be a multimillionaire.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

City of Charlotte is ran by idiots.  They should have got ahead of this 4 or 5 years ago and it would have cost half.  They should know more than anyone that property and construction doesn't deppreciate.  Sadly 1.2billion is a deal right now in the world of NFL stadiums.  Absolutely idiotic leadership.

36 minutes ago, The Crown and the Claw said:

*NO INSIDER INFO ON THIS TOPIC*

However I did want to clear up misconceptions like this one. City/County Governments have entertainment and tourism budgets earmarked specifically for projects like these. They CANNOT use that money for things such as schools or other infrastructures. It is a completely different pool of resources and does not impact in any way the other budgets

34 minutes ago, Smithers said:

Spot on.  I work in local govt mgmt - tourism dollars are governed by state law.  Occupancy tax revenues (likely in the hundreds of millions in Charlotte) come from taxes on hotel stays.  That money can only be spent on tourist and entertainment related expenses that put “heads in beds.”  

Thanks for the correction guys.

That said, the state using tax dollars to fund a single man's business renovation while he pockets all the profits is even worse. That poo ain't right no matter which way you look at it. Taking it a step further, should the state, city, and/or county use tax money to pay for renovations at every restaurant, hotel, and store that tourists visit too?