• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Scott Fitterer details Panthers’ plans for dealing with Bryce Young’s height, weight

NAS

16 minutes ago, Varking said:

There lies the issue I have: 

he had world class facilities and coaches and trainers at Bama and never bulked up, then played games with his weight around his pro day. 

I see folks more concerned over his weight than his height but almost every article pounds the issue of his height over and over. 

Agreed, you are not the only that has thought of this....its always been real fishy to me as well. Other people have called it out too.

• Pie 1

40 minutes ago, Varking said:

There lies the issue I have: 

he had world class facilities and coaches and trainers at Bama and never bulked up, then played games with his weight around his pro day. 

I see folks more concerned over his weight than his height but almost every article pounds the issue of his height over and over. 

QB's shouldn't have to "bulk up". Unless you're Cam the battering ram Newton, you shouldn't have to use your body weight to make plays. Bulking up, lifting, over training can injure a player, mess with their technique. Some dudes just literally can't bulk up unless they eat sleep and lift. Bryce is too busy studying film and throwing. Too busy lifting trophies.

Wonder how much Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Pat Mahomes bench and squat?

Edited by GOAT
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, GOAT said:

QB's shouldn't have to "bulk up". Unless you're Cam the battering ram Newton, you shouldn't have to use your body weight to make plays. Bulking up, lifting, over training can injure a player, mess with their technique. Some dudes just literally can't bulk up unless they eat sleep and lift. Bryce is too busy studying film and throwing. Too busy lifting trophies.

GOAT talk!

Once again Goat teaching these youngsters about the game of football. The Panthers drafted this man based on his tape. If he was 185 on tape and winning Heisman trophies and dominating the SEC he will be at that weight in the pros.

This is a QB not a RB. Bulking ain't for everybody.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

40 minutes ago, GOAT said:

You think Mac Jones and Tua weren’t studying film and throwing? There might be a pattern here with Alabama QBs not doing much in the weight room and then getting banged up on the pros. Both Tua and Mac have missed time in the NFL due to injuries. 

And while I’m not sure about Montana we know Brady put in work in the weight room and so has Mahomes. 

Edited by Varking

39 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

GOAT talk!

Once again Goat teaching these youngsters about the game of football. The Panthers drafted this man based on his tape. If he was 185 on tape and winning Heisman trophies and dominating the SEC he will be at that weight in the pros.

This is a QB not a RB. Bulking ain't for everybody.

Folks like you feel the need to disparage others for having a different opinion for some reason. “Teaching these youngsters”, I am 36 and I’ve been around here for a long time. Theres no need for silly shots like this or attempts to insult my intelligence. 

You are aware winning a Heisman trophy does not correlate to success in the NFL right? The Golden Calf of Bristol won one and almost won two. How’s Winston doing? Manziel? 

I also guess you missed the quote in this interview where they said they were sure he WOULD bulk up. 

Edited by Varking

2 minutes ago, RJK said:

You’d think a forum full of regular sized people would understand how hard it is to put on healthy weight. He’s gonna he 190 tops for the next 3-5 seasons

I think he’ll find a way to start the season around 195 but not sure how long he’ll maintain that once the season starts. 

7 minutes ago, Varking said:

You think Mac Jones and Tua weren’t studying film and throwing? There might be a pattern here with Alabama QBs not doing much in the weight room and then getting banged up on the pros. Both Tua and Mac have missed time in the NFL due to injuries. 

And while I’m not sure about Montana we know Brady put in work in the weight room and so has Mahomes. 

I will 100% stand by play style is why QBs get hurt by contact (non contact are just freak injuries). Brady lightning quick reads ball is out and Mahomes great play designs with great ability to avoid trouble. That’s why I see Bryce as a much safer and better player to Tua and Mac. Stroud is closer to them 2 than Bryce if you take the helmets off 

8 minutes ago, Varking said:

I think he’ll find a way to start the season around 195 but not sure how long he’ll maintain that once the season starts. 

Spartanburg will def slim him down also 

I think the main concern is just him having the core strength to slip out of tackles in the pocket like he did at Alabama. whether that results in added weight is kind of immaterial. as long as he can maintain the play style he had in college, he should be good to go.

13 hours ago, Castavar said:

Just the fact that they acknowledge and are aware of the fact gives me a lot of hope for this front office and coaching staff.

I LOVED that they mentioned this. With Ron Rivera and Co., it was always trying to fit a square peg in a round hole and always dismissing the elephant in the room.  Cam needed a good o-line and WRs his whole career here, yet for some reason Ron and Hurney thought nothing was wrong. It's such a breath of fresh air to actually have a front office self aware enough to know a good o-line is a MUST.

The 2014-2017 OL was good (outside of the rash of injuries in 2016). The middle was Norwell, Kalil and Turner and during that window that was a very solid IOL. We have better tackles now but that OL was better G to G.

• Pie 2