• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Another one falls into the trap that is Sam Darnold

NAS

1 hour ago, NAS said:

Everyone thinks they can fix Darnold.  He does throw a nice ball, but unfortunately often to the other team or over the head of the receiver.  

This is like when some women fall in love with bad boys thinking they'll be the ones to reclaim them and make them husband material again.  Darnold is who he is.  He has limited processing ability (probably scored an 18 on the S2 test), no composure under pressure, can't throw receiver open to save his life.

I knew Sam Darnold had limited processing ability after watching him play just a few games,  among other negative traits that cannot be coached out.

Sadly,I feel any team that is depending on him being their starting QB is holding a losing hand they will eventually have to fold.

And let's be clear, talent was never the question.

Like plenty of other quarterbacks, Darnold has all the physical talent in the world. He just doesn't have it between the years.

This is why I'm never on board with the "it's okay, we can teach him the other stuff" model for acquiring quarterbacks.

7 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

Statistically, he was a middle of the pack starting QB over the 2022 season when healthy.

I wouldn't bet against him looking good to great this year under one of the game's best offensive coaches and surrounded by an abundance of talent.

I mean sure if his first read is always open and he never has pressure then he should be fine. 

8 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

LOL no.  He was 5/15 43 yds, 0td and 2ints vs. Saints in his last game. Warmed over dog crap. 

DATE OPP RESULT CMP ATT YDS CMP% AVG TD INT LNG SACK RTG QBR
Sun 1/8 @NONO 5 15 43 33.3 2.9 0 2 21 2 2.8 11.1
Sun 1/1 @TBTB 23 37 341 62.2 9.2 3 1 47 2 108.1 50.3
Sat 12/24 vsDETDET 15 22 250 68.2 11.4 1 0 47 0 121.4 85.9
Sun 12/18 vsPITPIT 14 23 225 60.9 9.8 1 0 45 4 108.1 47.3
Sun 12/11 @SEASEA 14 24 120 58.3 5.0 1 0 18 2 85.4 35.4

Last game we had nothing to play for and we still won the game. 

• Beer 1

27 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Does Lance even have any value?

Dude hasn't played because he's always injured. His rookie contract will be up pretty soon. If he doesn't play this year then he's probably just not good enough.

Yeah that's kind of what I am saying.  No need to trade him and get nothing back.  Wait another year while you are unsure about Purdy (who is still hurt) and if Purdy is legit you can trade him next season for the same or maybe more if he shows anything in the preseason or gets any playing time. 

We'll see this coming season, I guess. 

We were all laughing at the Niners when Lance went down and they had to eat crow and get Jimmy G back out there. And he did pretty well and then he got injured. Then we wrote the team off when Jimmy G got injured and they sent in the very last pick of last year's draft -- talk about an unsung, unknown rookie. And the guy was right there in the NFC Championship after kicking butt for the rest of the season. And then he got hurt...

Yeah, I think I'm going to not poopoo on the Niners QB situation until I actually see them lose quite a few games in a row. There's something pretty incredible happening there and if they can reclaim Sam Darnold and turn him into what people had hoped he'd be... my hat's off to them and to him. The kid has had nothing but terrible, way beyond bad, coaching through his career. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Yeah that's kind of what I am saying.  No need to trade him and get nothing back.  Wait another year while you are unsure about Purdy (who is still hurt) and if Purdy is legit you can trade him next season for the same or maybe more if he shows anything in the preseason or gets any playing time. 

Purdy had them 1 game away from a SB appearance as a rookie.

Not sure if he needs to do any more convincing. I personally don't think he's all that talented. But he proved you can win with him. Lance just can't stay healthy and he is not someone you can depend on.

It might be better to go ahead and trade him with what little value he has. Him sitting on the roster does nothing for the 49ers. I think they already said Purdy is the future QB anyway.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Gerry Green said:

Awful lot of hate for a guy who tried to be the best he could be. No reason to dog on a guy who is no longer around.

A lot of hate?  People are just giving their assessments and his market value agrees with it.  It's nothing personal as very few have the ability to be a franchise QB.  Darnold still has plenty of talent.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, we know he's an extremely talented thrower of the football. That's how he keeps getting work. But if that was all that mattered when it came to playing QB Jamarcus Russell would be the GOAT.

Its crazy to think that hes still only like 25 years old.  He could end up being a good player still.