• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Anti-tankers…. Never forget!!!!

TheBigKat

21 minutes ago, top dawg said:

That's B.S. Our FO has never tried to tank. JR was making a statement in regards to the CBA that began before the season even started. He was clearing house for a rebuild. Tepper already told you that he doesn't believe in so-called "tanking." It doesn't even matter because players aren't going to tank, period. They are professionals. The term "any given Sunday" exists for a reason. Moreover, players and coaches will always provide a firewall against the whims of an unscrupulous owner. 

Players won’t tank. Coaches and GMs? Owners? Hard to say. 

The sooner you realize the goal for any owner is not a Lombardi the better off you'll be.

Its Asses In Seats (AIS).

Yeah a Lombardi is nice and all and it can in the short term boost those AIS numbers but its a short term thing unless you can figure out how to build the next Patriots Dynasty.

Loosing on purpose.  That's antithetical to those AIS numbers and a damned fine way to scuttle AIS numbers for seasons to come.

I hope you are right.  Whether or not any team decides to tank, they will never eliminate all risks. Tanking is never %100 a correct answer.  It is also considered dishonest.  (There are penalties if a team is caught tanking.). However, I seriously don’t think the NFL will ever enforce that rule.

I am not saying we should never Tank.  I do think it is an option.  I just think it is an only an option.  It is never a sure thing.

if young delivers, then I will be very happy 😃 

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Cullenator said:

The sooner you realize the goal for any owner is not a Lombardi the better off you'll be.

Its Asses In Seats (AIS).

Yeah a Lombardi is nice and all and it can in the short term boost those AIS numbers but its a short term thing unless you can figure out how to build the next Patriots Dynasty.

Loosing on purpose.  That's antithetical to those AIS numbers and a damned fine way to scuttle AIS numbers for seasons to come.

Now let me see if I have this right, so what you're saying is? AIS numbers are important? jk

Now, what about BOA? The PSLs are already paid for. So even if nobody showed up, it would still be a sell-out. Man, I hate math.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

14 hours ago, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

Please explain in nuanced detail why limping into the playoffs with a shitty QB and mediocre coach would put this team in a good position for the future as opposed to drafting high and therefore starting afresh with a better coaching staff.

If you don't understand how losing now to gamble later is not as beneficial to a team (or a business) as winning now and later then that's a you problem that you'll have to figure out.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

13 minutes ago, Gerry Green said:

Now let me see if I have this right, so what you're saying is? AIS numbers are important? jk

Now, what about BOA? The PSLs are already paid for. So even if nobody showed up, it would still be a sell-out. Man, I hate math.

Then try this math.

The gate is a predetermined split between the home team and the visitors.

The concessions and swag...

That's straight into the owners pocket and its millions of dollars.

Edited by Cullenator
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Cullenator said:

Then try this math.

The gate is a predetermined split between the home team and the visitors.

The concessions and swag...

That's straight into the owners pocket.

I was trying to be humorous, hence the jk I threw in there. I guess I failed. Woe is me.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

On 5/8/2023 at 7:36 PM, Ricky Prickles said:

Im an anti tanker but I feel like management possibly tried to sneaky tank last season and it didnt work out. I believe they fired Rhule who they knew was garbage after the first couple games (took long enough) and replaced him with Wilks who they thought would stink it up worse and send us into the depths of the NFL. Turns out Wilks is a thousand times the coach that Rhule ever was or will be in the NFL and it backfired on them. Had they kept our bumbling idiot as head coach we probably would have finished much worse. To top that off with our QB carousel of crap I felt like they knew we struck turd and were ready to be led there by bad coaching and turd QB'ing. The shockers were Darnold looked better with Wilks and Wilks being a good guy got the players motivated. 

I think plans became to tank but management made moves that accidentally made us gel a little better like showing Rhule the door and Wilks making Darnold look much better.

Also the CMC trade. That seemed like a tanking move.  Lo and behold Foreman shows out with a new simplified offense with less emphasis on passing to the back and simple north south running. 

• Beer 1

11 hours ago, MechaZain said:

Anti-tankers what about resting players? You've clinched home field advantage you still going 100% for the moral victory?

It depends on the situation. Very few cases will you have clinched home field advantage all the way through the playoffs. If it’s the last game and will not affect other teams finish I can say maybe. It could give you a chance to see some seldom used players. However, a lot of players will want to play regardless. 

1 hour ago, mickeye76 said:

Also the CMC trade. That seemed like a tanking move.  Lo and behold Foreman shows out with a new simplified offense with less emphasis on passing to the back and simple north south running. 

That one did not even cross my mind but it should have because you are absolutely correct 

• Pie 1

10 hours ago, top dawg said:

That's B.S. Our FO has never tried to tank. JR was making a statement in regards to the CBA that began before the season even started. He was clearing house for a rebuild. Tepper already told you that he doesn't believe in so-called "tanking." It doesn't even matter because players aren't going to tank, period. They are professionals. The term "any given Sunday" exists for a reason. Moreover, players and coaches will always provide a firewall against the whims of an unscrupulous owner. 

You really believe what you just typed? You don’t know these owners. Cmon man

28 minutes ago, rayzor said:

this team sucks. all this team does is lose. that's all they are going to do this year. and their draft picks suck.

and also

we should lose more so we can get a better daft pick. it's good for the team.

Kevin Durant Basketball GIF by Phoenix Suns

I'm beginning to believe that a lot of these so called "Tankers" don't really get the concept.

It seems like they want to win, until the losing starts. Then they want to tank. It's like they are fine with winning, until it interferes with their draft picks.

I was of the mind that most "Tankers" never played sports. So they don't understand the concept of a team. Now I think it's just nerds who like the draft more than the actual games.

I just can't believe anyone that has played an organized sport would ever advocate tanking.