• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Peter King - Young is one smart guy

NAS

Man.  We've got a long history of thinking we're smarter than everyone whose job is football here, myself included, but some of these Bryce takes (from someone who *didn't* want to draft him, for the record) are just...silly.

I mean Christ - the level of malcontent it takes to rail against his football IQ, which is like the one thing basically *everyone* agrees on, is staggering.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

On 5/8/2023 at 8:00 AM, rayzor said:

he's got to tamper our expectations. that's his mission in life, to help us put the brakes on our excitement because Young or really any other QB taken at the top of this draft or any other draft isn't really worth the selection because you can get a Tom Brady in every draft.

really he's just a miserable person in here.

I'd have preferred Richardson or Stroud. Hell, maybe even to have been able to trade down and take Levis. 

If Young works out, great. We are banking on him not just breaking the mold, but shattering it and tossing it in the trash. Average arm, average release, 5'10, above average processing, average mobility. Even comparing him to Steph Curry is a stretch because Curry is 6'3 and is an outside shooter.

My job here isn't to make anyone miserable. But you don't get to start at Alabama without being able to call protections and seeing an overload blitz isn't difficult when you recognize the alignment. 

Josh wanted Stroud. His breakdowns made that obvious. 

Edited by CPcavedweller

49 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

I'd have preferred Richardson or Stroud. Hell, maybe even to have been able to trade down and take Levis. 

If Young works out, great. We are banking on him not just breaking the mold, but shattering it and tossing it in the trash. Average arm, average release, 5'10, above average processing, average mobility. Even comparing him to Steph Curry is a stretch because Curry is 6'3 and is an outside shooter.

My job here isn't to make anyone miserable. But you don't get to start at Alabama without being able to call protections and seeing an overload blitz isn't difficult when you recognize the alignment. 

Yeah we didn’t draft the player you preferred. We drafted the played that 90% of scouts and analysts had as the top QB in the draft. We drafted the QB that the Texans actually wanted over Stroud. 
You keep looking for some elite physical trait. Physically Young is capable of playing QB in the NFL, but you want find anything elite just like Brady, Burrow, Manning, Brees, and Wilson. These QBs excel at playing the position with poise, accuracy, and elite processing. So you keep hoping for a Jeff George arm while most of us are wanting a Manning brain.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, CPcavedweller said:

How does a average QB get drafted #1 overall?

Something not adding up. I assume you never watched him at Alabama and just judging him on his size. If this dude was 6'3 he would be getting Trevor Lawrence hype.

2 hours ago, CPcavedweller said:

Well it didn't happen. Time to deal with it and quit whining/grumbling.

Or don't. Stay miserable. Stay insufferable. You do you.

6 hours ago, CPcavedweller said:

All I read is that I watched 3 mins of highlights and that I think I’m smarter than 90% of the NFL heavy hitters 

• Pie 3

14 hours ago, rayzor said:

And ihope we keep having them throughout the year.

I wouldn't mind it if it translates to wins but it's a long ways off until we find that out 

I remember people blowing smoke up teddy baker and Sam's asses before the season started too. I'm just jaded as a mother fuger until I see it work on Sundays 

9 hours ago, CPcavedweller said:

You people are absolutely miserable. Why are you fans of the Panthers? You sure as hell aren’t because it is fun. 
Stop whining. Get over it. 

• Pie 2

9 hours ago, CPcavedweller said:

Saying this with so much certainty is hilarious when nobody on here has had a conversation with the man to know for sure. He was extremely complimentary of Bryce in his breakdown of him and that was when he broke down one of his worst games vs CJ’s best. 

In one of his columns leading up to the draft, Peter King even said Josh was telling people in the fall how much he loved Bryce and thought he’d be a great NFL QB. This is another reason I can’t wait for the draft confidential to come out, so we can squash some of the ridiculous narratives folks have on here about who was/wasn’t on board with Bryce, when all indications point at it being unanimous for him by the end of the process.

• Pie 1

25 minutes ago, BlackPanther22 said:

Saying this with so much certainty is hilarious when nobody on here has had a conversation with the man to know for sure. He was extremely complimentary of Bryce in his breakdown of him and that was when he broke down one of his worst games vs CJ’s best. 

In one of his columns leading up to the draft, Peter King even said Josh was telling people in the fall how much he loved Bryce and thought he’d be a great NFL QB. This is another reason I can’t wait for the draft confidential to come out, so we can squash some of the ridiculous narratives folks have on here about who was/wasn’t on board with Bryce, when all indications point at it being unanimous for him by the end of the process.

this is also based largely on comments McCown made before he became a coach here and before he started collaborating with other coaches and scouts to evaluate and interview all of the prospects. it could very well be that his opinion changed the further that he got into the process. 

• Pie 1

and it's not just these guys who are recognizing and even gushing about what Bryce Young did in his second game as a true freshman saying that what he did was some next level poo, and that's what you can expect from him. We have very informed, educated, and experienced people saying and recognizing this in Young....and then we have people like @CPcavedweller saying this kind of thing:

On 5/8/2023 at 7:26 AM, CPcavedweller said:

Y'all are slobbering over recognizing an overload blitz? My god.

On 5/9/2023 at 7:28 AM, CPcavedweller said:

Oh fine, ya got me. So happy our QB can recognize a blitz and slide protection. Everyone! Everyone! Make way, the next 5'9 Payton Manning hath arrived!

Seriously. It's one story about a team aligning in such a way it can only be one thing at that level. It's logical deduction and it's an easy one to make at that. 

so either CPcavedweller is right and these people talking about Young either don't know poo because, as cpcavedweller has intimated ...it's not a big deal because every QB who puts on a bama jersey does this kind of thing right out of the gate and it's not unusual for any QB to do this. 

or

they are correct and Bryce Young mentally is on another very impressive level.

• Pie 3

4 hours ago, Aussie Tank said:

All I read is that I watched 3 mins of highlights and that I think I’m smarter than 90% of the NFL heavy hitters 

I'm skeptical he even watched highlights.  Who watches Bryce Young and comes away thinking he has average mobility?  

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, Mage said:

I'm skeptical he even watched highlights.  Who watches Bryce Young and comes away thinking he has average mobility?  

Well, to be fair. Maybe he was watching in slow motion. lol

I'll admit I gave Bryce a hard time during the draft process. But it was mostly just his size, not in how he played the game. The kid is exciting. He is just wee. And that does scare a lot of us.

Edited by Gerry Green