• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Panthers' biggest Rival?

MHS831

Poll: Panther's Biggest Rival  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the Panthers' Biggest Rival?

• Atlanta Falcons
    • New Orleans Saints
    • Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Tampa - Its personal and not an actual rivalry.  I just hate 'em and it always make my day just a touch brighter when they lose.

Saints - These wins mean the most to me these days.

Falcons - They could be in another division for how little I ever think of them.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, UnluckyforSome said:

I prefer the game we won with DeAngelo lining up in wildcat for the entire game almost. There have been some Panther moments, but not many. Pretty sure Jake blew out his elbow against them as well. There's been more bad than good there. 

But the good have been VERY good.

2005 season finale in Atlanta, a must-win to make the playoffs (like 2014), was a 44-11 blowout W. That was awesome. 

2007 game in Atlanta, yeah Jake hurt his elbow, but DeShaun Foster and David Carr (!!) helped preserve the win. I was at that game, 50-yard line seats in the second row (but behind Atlanta's bench). 

There's been some great moments in Charlotte, too. 2015, the 38-0 win is still the largest margin of victory in franchise history, and to go much farther back, Timmy Biakabutuka running all over them in a Sunday Night Football win in 1997 was epic (though I don't remember it).

Edited by Carl Spackler

2 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

But the good have been VERY good.

2005 season finale in Atlanta, a must-win to make the playoffs (like 2014), was a 44-11 blowout W. That was awesome. 

2007 game in Atlanta, yeah Jake hurt his elbow, but DeShaun Foster and David Carr (!!) helped preserve the win. I was at that game, 50-yard line seats in the second row (but behind Atlanta's bench). 

There's been some great moments in Charlotte, too. 2015, the 38-0 win is still the largest margin of victory in franchise history, and to go much farther back, Timmy Biakabutuka running all over them in a Sunday Night Football win in 1997 was epic (though I don't remember it).

Yeah, you're not going to convince me otherwise. Go watch Vick levitating for a td at the end of the game while Dan Morgan grabs at his dust outline. Or Crumpler absolutely abuse our defense to win the game here in their Petrino year. But other opinions are fine and dandy to have, so it's good.

1 hour ago, UnluckyforSome said:

Yeah, you're not going to convince me otherwise. Go watch Vick levitating for a td at the end of the game while Dan Morgan grabs at his dust outline. Or Crumpler absolutely abuse our defense to win the game here in their Petrino year. But other opinions are fine and dandy to have, so it's good.

I wasn't trying to convince anybody, I was just bringing up other historic moments that were less negative. 

• Beer 1

I'm surprised this poll is as skewed as it is toward Atlanta. Sure the Vick years were a headache but it was short lived and we've given them plenty since. Matt Ryan was a smarmy douche and exceedingly cringy but 28-3 settled that. They have no Lombardi trophy just like us. The Saints however have the hardware to hold over our heads thanks to Payton and Brees. Even the Bucs have two now. Bringing a trophy of our own home to the Carolinas to end the gloating the Saints and Bucs have over us is bigger than the Falcons rivalry guys sorry.

• Pie 2

9 minutes ago, frankw said:

I'm surprised this poll is as skewed as it is toward Atlanta. Sure the Vick years were a headache but it was short lived and we've given them plenty since. Matt Ryan was a smarmy douche and exceedingly cringy but 28-3 settled that. They have no Lombardi trophy just like us. The Saints however have the hardware to hold over our heads thanks to Payton and Brees. Even the Bucs have two now. Bringing a trophy of our own home to the Carolinas to end the gloating the Saints and Bucs have over us is bigger than the Falcons rivalry guys sorry.

Some additional perspective. Don't get me wrong. I hate 31 other teams. But number 32 is the Falcons.

Panthers all-time vs Falcons...21-35

Panthers all-time vs Saints...27-29

Panthers all-time vs Bucs...25-20 Included in that record is the 12-10 mark at their place.

• Beer 2

It's probably the Falcons.

Vick floating for the TD, Gtfo my field, Two cheap shots on Cam, 15-1 season

But I voted the Saints because God damn do I despise that team during the SP year. Gregg Williams comments about trying to hurt Smitty, fight in the end zone, running up the score to break records and those fans... the smug superiority they think one gifted Owl gave them after literally spending decades under trash bags over their their heads.

I obviously want the division to lose every week but the Saints are the only team I am salty enough to actively "hate watch" and chear against. 

• Pie 1

Looks like, with over 100 people participating, that ATLANTA is our rival, earning 60% of the vote.  NEW ORLEANS is second on our hate list, with about 37% of the vote.  Tampa Bay?  Nobody cares about Florida's west coast--and you call yourselves Buccaneers. about 2%.

8 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Looks like, with over 100 people participating, that ATLANTA is our rival, earning 60% of the vote.  NEW ORLEANS is second on our hate list, with about 37% of the vote.  Tampa Bay?  Nobody cares about Florida's west coast--and you call yourselves Buccaneers. about 2%.

When Gruden was in Tampa, it was more of a rivalry. They had their Superbowl, and plenty of players that enjoyed talking, and for the most part could back it up. When the NFC South was formed, they said they were disrespected by being put in the NASCAR division with old NFC West losers. The defense was a real terror for a good while. Honestly though, other than the Brady blip, and their heyday early on, they've not really been much of a factor in the division.

• Pie 1

It depends on the era, but generally speaking the Falcons are our main rival. We have not really had any kind of rivalry feelings in a long time because our QBs have been Teddy, Sam, PJ, Mayfield, ect. Under those conditions who really cares if we beat the Falcons?