• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Panthers' biggest Rival?

MHS831

Poll: Panther's Biggest Rival  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the Panthers' Biggest Rival?

• Atlanta Falcons
    • New Orleans Saints
    • Tampa Bay Buccaneers

On 5/11/2023 at 9:18 AM, MHS831 said:

The problem with Atlanta, and I was discussing this with a friend from Atlanta, is the Falcons and Panthers have rarely been good at the same time--it seems we have battled with Tampa Bay a lot when both teams were respectable.  I want it to be Atlanta--based on the geography alone--and that we have been rival cities for dominance in the Southeast, if you don't count Florida as a Southern state (because it is actually a giant assisted living center).

God's Waiting Room™

also it's not part of the South, legally it's a suburb of New Jersey.

• Flames 1

Football Laughing GIF by Carolina Panthers

It's the Saints and it isn't even close.  Atlanta is closer, so I see the temptation.  A rival, a true rivalry emits true distain and hate.  The Saints and Panthers truly, loathe each other.  Bounty gate?  All the cheap shots on Cam and Smitty?  You ask any player which teams they hate from our division the most and I 100% will bet that it's the Aints

On 5/11/2023 at 8:18 AM, MHS831 said:

The problem with Atlanta, and I was discussing this with a friend from Atlanta, is the Falcons and Panthers have rarely been good at the same time--it seems we have battled with Tampa Bay a lot when both teams were respectable.  I want it to be Atlanta--based on the geography alone--and that we have been rival cities for dominance in the Southeast, if you don't count Florida as a Southern state (because it is actually a giant assisted living center).

You're not wrong both teams have the exact same amount of division titles which is 6 a piece.

It's all kind of relative. I mean record-wise, we have won 1 time vs the Steelers, and that was damn near 30 years ago. 1-7. Not to mention their fans fill up the stadium since some of ours have plenty of reason to sell those tickets to highest bidder. Throw Cam's shoulder into that mix too.

With the Panthers never having achieved  sustained competitiveness (no b2b winning seasons), I just don't think there really is a rival....just the entire NFC South. It seems to come down to which team someone hates the most. For me that has varied over the years. At one time or another, I've hated them all.  This year, I hope we beat them all. Twice.

• Beer 1

As a Saints fan I was always scared of playing Can Newton, and the Panthers back in the day.  

I like the Atlanta Falcons as a team, but I did not like falcon fans.

Tampa Bay has a respectable team and respectable fans however, they have two Lombardi Trophies.

Before Sean Payton Left,  the Saints seemed to have the Atlanta Falcons number.

I think that we will not know the answer to this question, until this season gets started.  So far I think the Saints and the Panthers have done the best recruiting this year so I predict that the Saints will be the rival team.  That could change if the Falcons can prove that they can win some football games.  (Something that they have not been able to do since the Superbowl loss to Tom Brady.)

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

It's saints for me just because they were more consistently good over the past 15 or so years, and because their fans are gigantic ignoramuses. I've had Atlanta fans sit near me and we can keep the hostilities down but as soon as those mouth breathers from the bayou start shouting "who dat!" I'm over them. 

I kinda think it moves around but within the same groups. In the division in the 90s it was the Falcons, Rams, and 49ers.

After the realignment TB kinda became the main rival for a few years, then during Cam’s time it was us and New Orleans. I guess overall it has to be Atlanta though just off of geography and history.

We have had quite a few non-division rivals through the years but they change as the teams change. Seattle, San Francisco, Dallas, St Louis, Arizona even at 1 time I remember NYG fans hating us. 

The Falcons and they have been from the jump.  They have our number and until we can turn the tide, it can't be disputed.  We had the Saints number mostly and even when they had Brees, they still didn't dominate us save a few seasons.  The Bucs typically suck outside of a few years in the newly formed NCFS and the past few years with Brady, otherwise, no issues with them.

Atlanta has been a consistent thorn in our side since 1995 even when we are good and they are bad, we still have a hard time sweeping them.  The series is completely lopsided in their favor and it would take a decade of domination in the series by the Panthers to get it back to respectable.

Edited by 45catfan