• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

On My Radar: TMJ & Tommy Tremble

Bear Hands

It's fair to say that no player on our roster played up to their potential under Matt Rhule. I wouldnt be surprised to all of the roster players he drafted improve by leaps and bound in 2023. Good post. I hope your optimism for these two pays off this season...and beyond.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 3

Just now, SCO96 said:

It's fair to say that no player on our roster played up to their potential under Matt Rhule. I wouldnt be surprised to all of the roster players he drafted improve by leaps and bound in 2023. Good post. I hope your optimism for these two pays off this season...and beyond.

Thanks.  I just think these are two Rhule-era picks in particular that cannot be written off.  Others can, see: Yetur.  

Tremble was a high selection for a TE and they take time unless they're an aberration.  Add in that he can block & catch just fine, and is now seasoned, I think he has a HUGE opportunity with us not drafting one from this class. 

Fitterer even called him out specifically in a post-draft presser that they were fine not drafting a TE due to the confidence they have in Tremble.  I like to hear that, especially considering we have a new coaching staff in house and that determination no doubt came through their assessment as well as Scott's.  

• Pie 4

1 hour ago, Captain Morgan said:

thanks for making me feel better about Tremble.

He’s not making me feel better. Acting like TEs spend 100% of the time catching and no time blocking is how Tremble’s numbers were prorated higher.

Travis Kelce has averaged just above 900 snaps the last three years. Tremble has had over 1000 snaps the past two years. You can’t then say oh, if he was Kelce I can take those 1000 snaps and double the result because Kelce never blocks. I mean, Thomas has over 1100 snaps the past two years and has 39 receptions, the same as Tremble.

In two years and 2100+ snaps Thomas and Tremble have 78-739. In the last two years on only 1800+ snaps, Kelce has 202-2463 and Kelce. Note that KC’s TE2 had more receptions than Tremble or Thomas last year.

I know Kelce is a stud, but it’s very misleading to insinuate that Tremble would have 80-700 and 10 TDs if he was the guy. That’s quadrupling his stats when he’s already playing 50% of all snaps.

I’m very optimistic about both of these guys tbh. I feel like TMJ is primed for a breakout but idk what it is but I’ve always had a decent feeling that Tommy would end up surprising people one of these years. My thing with him is just his hands being more consistent which I think they’ve gotten better, and with Hurst around as a true #1 options at TE, maybe it’ll take some pressure off Tommy and he can rack up some sneaky good production in two TE sets. 

We’ll see what happens though. The key to our success this season imo will be the development of some of these guys like TMJ and Tremble on the offensive side of the ball to help make Bryce’s transition easier. 

• Pie 1

I know I’ve posted it before but I don’t think TMJ breaks out unless we have a rash of injuries. We lost DJ, but added a lot of targets in Sanders, Hurst, Thielen, Chark and Mingo. Something has to give for Marshall to break out.

Same analysis trying to act like TMJ hasn’t been playing enough receiving snaps. DJ Moore averaged 900 snaps a years and guess what, we ran a bunch when he was out there too.

The QB rating while targeting TMJ is also a bit misleading. His biggest issue is getting separation. Does anyone remember preseason when Shi smith scored a TD and Sam was laser focused on TMJ who didn’t separate and actually fell down on the route? Sam switched reads and found Smith. That was one of the reasons Smith started as WR3 before sucking and losing the job back to TMJ. Last year, TMJ got the ball for a nice gain each week while wide open and had his TD and nice gains in garbage time against Cincy (they pulled starters up 35) and the TD was after.

I’d be ecstatic if somehow TMJ became a stud LSU WR for Young but the whole prorating stuff as if his 1069 snaps weren’t almost 20% more than DJ got every year, producing way more, doesn’t sway me. Unless you think he’s leapfrogging everyone else to be WR1, not sure how to predict a breakout when we have better targets overall compared with last year.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, WhoKnows said:

He’s not making me feel better. Acting like TEs spend 100% of the time catching and no time blocking is how Tremble’s numbers were prorated higher.

I'm really not.  I'm also not saying he's going to have some superstar year either.  There's simply some nice reasons to be optimistic about him.  He's still going to have a high percentage plays with blocking assignments.  I'm also specifically explaining how he's more of a blocking TE role that has the capacity to become a strong receiving threat.  Never once extrapolated for a full season or said TE1s don't block. 

I'm simply stretching out his two seasons in context for modest hype, not saying he's coming up on some 800/7TD year.