• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers mini camp (Saturday)

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Mahomes has it between the ears too.

There are plenty of guys who can "rip it" and...not much else. For some, that's the most important traits to look for.

I prefer a guy who has what Young has.

Absolutely. Look at the Manning/Leaf draft. Leaf was the physical prototype with the Howitzer arm. Not that Manning has a bad arm, but he used his brain probably more than any other QB we’ve seen and he’s one of the top 2 or 3 to ever do it. Jamarcus Russell, Jeff George, and a litany of other dudes with all the physical gifts and potential in the world, but never had it between the ears. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

I'll give you 1 year. But what about the other years and his college years?

Jefferson/Chase cmon that's literally 2 of the top 3 WR's in the league today.

I wasn’t comparing anything but year 1… this isn’t a burrow vs Levi’s. This is if Levi’s starts for titans this year… the most relevant rookie qb situation would be burrow year 1.

That is the topic. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, Smithers said:

I remember when Malik Willis was the preseason champ last year.  Now he may not make the Titans roster.  People salivating off one non padded throw without a pass rush are hysterical 

I’m pretty sure Justin fields was the preseason MVP last year.

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

No one should be looking for the next Mahomes. He is a damn unicorn that landed with an offensive mastermind in Reid. His mental makeup plus arm strength is extremely rare not to mention he does things in the field that a QB should never be coached to do. He just somehow makes it work.

Mental makeup is the most important thing for a QB. Burrow, Brees, Manning, Brady etc became HoF QBs with average or below average athletic ability because of their mental makeup.

I will say this though. With Young’s brain and our staff, I could see him becoming an upper tier QB in the NFC sooner vs later. Mainly because most of the elite QBs not named Hurts play in the AFC. Also Stroud, AR, and Levis all went to the AFC so life will be harder for them.

I think it’s a little more encompassing than that. A lot of QBs have the mental make up to play the game but don’t have the other tangibles/intangibles. Not just physical traits, but peripheral vision, pocket awareness, touch, nerves, and anticipation. It all comes together. 

Delhomme is an interesting example. In his prime he’s a tier below the Manning/Brady/Ben/etc in his processing and command of the offense. But he made up for that with the arm he used to have. He could make throws that should have never been made. And he was clutch and gutsy. And when tommy john happened it exposed his liabilities and reliance on Smitty.

Brady might have been a below average athlete by NFL standards. But he’s still 6’4 with a great arm that doesn’t require him to torque so much.

It’s fair to be concerned about Bryce because he’s small you worry about him getting smashed. But the things that make him great would make any QB great and are occurring regardless of his size. So I’m aboard the train. I’m not worried about him being effective. My concern is him eventually taking the wrong hit, and his arm wearing down overtime. 

• Pie 2

11 hours ago, OneBadCat said:

I think it’s a little more encompassing than that. A lot of QBs have the mental make up to play the game but don’t have the other tangibles/intangibles. Not just physical traits, but peripheral vision, pocket awareness, touch, nerves, and anticipation. It all comes together. 

Delhomme is an interesting example. In his prime he’s a tier below the Manning/Brady/Ben/etc in his processing and command of the offense. But he made up for that with the arm he used to have. He could make throws that should have never been made. And he was clutch and gutsy. And when tommy john happened it exposed his liabilities and reliance on Smitty.

Brady might have been a below average athlete by NFL standards. But he’s still 6’4 with a great arm that doesn’t require him to torque so much.

It’s fair to be concerned about Bryce because he’s small you worry about him getting smashed. But the things that make him great would make any QB great and are occurring regardless of his size. So I’m aboard the train. I’m not worried about him being effective. My concern is him eventually taking the wrong hit, and his arm wearing down overtime. 

Ben? As in Ben Roethlisberger? That dude had a cannon of an arm in his prime.

18 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

They were not good yet or past their prime during Joe’s rookie season. They didn’t have a receiver over 1k in yards and tee Higgins as a rookie was the highest at 900 yards and Boyd at 840. They didn’t have a rusher over 450 yards.

Joe had names during his rookie season but they weren’t who they are now yet. He had AJ green as a shell of himself as well. 

2020 was not a year where the bengals were stacked like they are now.

Eh, he still had decent weapons. Sure, he didn’t have 1 RB, but Mixon, Bernard,  Perine and Williams combined for 1300 and 9 TDs. Higgins with 900 as a rookie is a solid WR. Boyd had 800. Green was past his prime but still 500+ as WR3 was more than our breakout WR2 TMJ last year. Add in 700+ yards receiving from Bernard and their TE.

Burrow’s 2020 weapons were better than our 2022 weapons.

19 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

If we talking pure talent, it's hard to say he isn't already the GOAT.

Tom Brady as great as he was his game didn't really jump off the screen. He just had the great ability to win games when it mattered. He's MJ like in that regard without the flash to his game. Brady overachieved giving his skillset and I don't think any other player will ever win SB's like he did. Look at how New England fell off as soon as he left. 

Mahomes is Favre if Favre had Andy Reid as a head coach. They are basically carbon copies of one another. And before you say "interceptions", Mahomes is only like 0.7% better in his TD-INT ratio.

• Pie 1