• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bear's side of getting Moore

19 hours ago, mav1234 said:

I felt similarly to you about Chicago's OL, and in games I watched that is how it seemed. But... 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34536376/2022-nfl-pass-rushing-run-stopping-blocking-leaderboard-win-rate-rankings-top-players-teams?platform=amp

Check the pass block win rates.

I think it was as much/more of an issue with WRs not getting open, based on these stats.. though I do think analytics are sometimes misleading since all it takes is one breakdown for pressure.

I just don’t agree with their opinion metric for what is considered win-rate. Chicagos pass block win rate shouldn’t be that high. And while I like our line, ours isn’t on the same level as Philly like this shows. 

• Pie 1

19 hours ago, mav1234 said:

I felt similarly to you about Chicago's OL, and in games I watched that is how it seemed. But... 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34536376/2022-nfl-pass-rushing-run-stopping-blocking-leaderboard-win-rate-rankings-top-players-teams?platform=amp

Check the pass block win rates.

I think it was as much/more of an issue with WRs not getting open, based on these stats.. though I do think analytics are sometimes misleading since all it takes is one breakdown for pressure.

You have to keep in mind pass blocking win rate is simply weighing a linemen's ability to sustain their blocks for 2.5 seconds or longer. Does not take into account when a blocker is getting pushed straight back into the QB. As a person that watched every snap, I can tell you there was plenty of instances where guys were getting bull rushed into Fields. 

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, Bearzzz said:

You have to keep in mind pass blocking win rate is simply weighing a linemen's ability to sustain their blocks for 2.5 seconds or longer. Does not take into account when a blocker is getting pushed straight back into the QB. As a person that watched every snap, I can tell you there was plenty of instances where guys were getting bull rushed into Fields. 

The Bears OL had one of the longest pocket times in the NFL.     Fields had the 4th longest time to throw in the league, just behind Wilson and Sam Darnold.   The Bears high pressure% can not clearly be placed entirely on the OL.

Fields is not getting rid of the ball fast enough, either because the WRs aren't open, Fields can't/won't throw in tight windows, the offense itself is poorly designed, Fields is hesitating or some combination.  In any event, DJ Moore, is a good WR, but he's is not going to fix those. 

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, poundaway said:

The Bears OL had one of the longest pocket times in the NFL.     Fields had the 4th longest time to throw in the league, just behind Wilson and Sam Darnold.   The Bears high pressure% can not clearly be placed entirely on the OL.

Fields is not getting rid of the ball fast enough, either because the WRs aren't open, Fields can't/won't throw in tight windows, the offense itself is poorly designed, Fields is hesitating or some combination.  In any event, DJ Moore, is a good WR, but he's is not going to fix those. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensive-line-unit-rankings-tiers-2022

9 hours ago, Bearzzz said:

Seriously, you're going to use pff 2022 PRESEASON rankings to say the Bears line was bad?

LOL

Look, I'm not arguing that the Bears line was great.  It wasn't.  What I'm saying is some of the pressures were because Fields was taking to long to throw for whatever reason.  DJ didn't fix that here, and it he won't fix it there. 

I wish D.J. Moore all the success in the world but I have long moved on from losing him.

I am just overjoyed and exciting to see what QB Bryce Young. can do with some fine receivers like  Terrace Marshall Jr and Jonathan Mingo.
  • Pie 2

On 5/29/2023 at 8:07 AM, poundaway said:

Seriously, you're going to use pff 2022 PRESEASON rankings to say the Bears line was bad?

LOL

Look, I'm not arguing that the Bears line was great.  It wasn't.  What I'm saying is some of the pressures were because Fields was taking to long to throw for whatever reason.  DJ didn't fix that here, and it he won't fix it there. 

I am just telling you what I watched all season. The line was no where close to the top half of the league in pass blocking. I watched every snap. Agree you can put a portion of the sacks on the QB. But majority were on the line. Braxton Jones actually played very well for a 5th round rookie playing left tackle. But he had problems with bull rushes.  Center Sam Mustipher was never able to hold up to nose tackles.  Guards Whitehair and Jenkins were average.  Jenkins mostly due to injuries. The right tackle Borom was horrible.  The team would usually keep a TE or WR in to help block on most passing plays.  Anyway, we will see if Fields is able to take the next step with an improved line.  He actually had better passer rating and completion percentage than Bryce Young in college.

11 minutes ago, Bearzzz said:

Agree you can put a portion of the sacks on the QB.

Some of the pressures go to the OC who was replaced.  The Bears now have a defensive minded HC, and an unproven OC. 

In any event, the Bears offense will continue to struggle if they continue to take longer than 3 seconds to throw.  Fix that problem, and you will see how much of the blame truly belongs on the line. 

2 hours ago, scpanther22 said:

in another 10 years another Carolina WR will go to the Bears, The Carolina WR to Bears pipeline will continue forever lol

Lol, I remember Moose. Let's hope we don't give up another great TE to Carolina. That trade was absolutely dumb on our side.

• 3 months later...
On 5/25/2023 at 9:37 AM, SOJA said:

I just don't see this. We never had a top 5 pick with Rhule at the helm and he was actively making our team worse. Even if Bryce is league average this year we will be significantly better than years past

Can you see it now? Frank isn't that much better and Bryce isn't looking close to average. It's still looking l ike a top 5 pick.

• Pie 1