• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corral deserves a fair shot

Jmac

23 minutes ago, waveslayer said:

corral was a third round pick that showed talent in college, it would be in the Panthers best interest to develop him as much as possible during the off season and pre season in hopes of getting something for him

How we gonna develop him on the bench?

In order for him to get value he has to play games. I think the best way for him to show value is playing in the preseason. We already know what we have in Dalton. Young will get limited playing time as well because he's the starter most likely. Let Corral run the show in the preseason and go from there. If he shows something he might be worth keeping as a backup.

I think the pecking order should be fairly obvious.  Young,  Dalton, and Corral. 

During preseason, Corral should get more play time than Dalton, simply to see if he has anything. 

I don't expect him to beat out Dalton on the depth chart, and nor should he. Dalton is a good QB, and more than good QB2. 

Edited by pantherclaw
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

How we gonna develop him on the bench?

In order for him to get value he has to play games. I think the best way for him to show value is playing in the preseason. We already know what we have in Dalton. Young will get limited playing time as well because he's the starter most likely. Let Corral run the show in the preseason and go from there. If he shows something he might be worth keeping as a backup.

People have been trying to tell you this for 2 days. Now, all of a sudden, you are wanting to join in. lol

Nobody is proclaiming Matt the starter. All we want is for him to get some solid coaching, which he should get here. Then let the chips fall where they may. 

If he becomes an asset? That makes us a better team, and there Will be great rejoicing. And who doesn't love themselves some great rejoicing?

Edited by Gerry Green

15 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Got the wrong D.

Andy Dalton!

You referred to that other "D" QB several times.  Each time my heart skipped a couple of beats and my chest tightened.  Given my family's history of hearts attacking them, that was not nice.

What the heck did I ever do to you? 

And for the denser of our membership, yes, this is all tongue-in-cheek.

• Pie 1

As much of a potential mentor as Andy Dalton could be, I think we've got the coaching to negate the need for that aspect in a player. If Corral shows enough promise, I'd much rather dump Dalton and keep the young guy if we only roll with two QBs. I think BY has enough maturity and learning capacity that we won't really being hurt by going with two young QBs.

1 hour ago, Gerry Green said:

People have been trying to tell you this for 2 days. Now, all of a sudden, you are wanting to join in. lol

Nobody is proclaiming Matt the starter. All we want is for him to get some solid coaching, which he should get here. Then let the chips fall where they may. 

If he becomes an asset? That makes us a better team, and there Will be great rejoicing. And who doesn't love themselves some great rejoicing?

I been saying this from the start, you just seem to focus on me being a "Brycer". Pay attention and what I said still stands Bryce Young is the present and future of this team.

It hurts you when I say that huh?

Just now, CamWhoaaCam said:

I been saying this from the start, you just seem to focus on me being a "Brycer". Pay attention and what I said still stands Bryce Young is the present and future of this team.

It hurts you when I say that huh?

Sure you have. lol

9 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

You referred to that other "D" QB several times.  Each time my heart skipped a couple of beats and my chest tightened.  Given my family's history of hearts attacking them, that was not nice.

What the heck did I ever do to you? 

And for the denser of our membership, yes, this is all tongue-in-cheek.

Yeah I just mix them up for whatever reason.lol

19 minutes ago, run-run-pass-punt said:

As much of a potential mentor as Andy Dalton could be, I think we've got the coaching to negate the need for that aspect in a player. If Corral shows enough promise, I'd much rather dump Dalton and keep the young guy if we only roll with two QBs. I think BY has enough maturity and learning capacity that we won't really being hurt by going with two young QBs.

The thing is; Coaches only get so much time with the team. It's the Vet QB that shows the rook the ropes of being a QB. The ins and outs, and the nuances of leading a team. How to study, and how to take care of yourself. And so much more.

That Vet QB spends a heck of a lot more time with the Rook than any Coach. And Andy is considered one of the good ones.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

On 5/19/2023 at 8:53 PM, ForJimmy said:

We might roll with 3 QBs. Niners did, Eagles did, Steelers just extended Mitch and Mason with Pickett. With 17 game seasons more teams will roll with 3 QBs. We will probably have Young, Dalton, and Corral.

I think they NFL should allow teams to carry 3 QBs and not have the 3rd one count against the 53 man roster.  

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, grateflday said:

I think they NFL should allow teams to carry 3 QBs and not have the 3rd one count against the 53 man roster.  

They really should. That's the one position you can't really plug and play anyone your bring in off the street. And as we saw in the NFCCG, an injury to both can happen quickly and there is no way to recover. 

• Beer 3

I'd love to see Corral get some premium reps in the preseason. Ideally I think Bryce should play a quarter with the starters, Dalton play maybe 1 series and Corral play the rest of the game. Don't send Corral out there only with the 5th string offensive line and receivers. Give him some meaningful reps with guys like TMJ and Mingo

• Beer 2

Sometimes that third QB is a necessity. A lot of teams have been running lean there for years and it hasn't bitten them.

Then San Francisco gets knocked down to their 3rd stringer and he plays lights out for a considerable time and the league wakes up. And then that terrible playoff loss San Fran had when they lost all of their QBs from the bench and had to try and send CMC in... Suddenly a lot of fringe-level QBs got a second chance at life.

Even if Corral doesn't end up with a jersey at the end of camp, we need to get him out there during pre-season to get an idea of whether to keep his number on file for emergencies. 

(And this isn't a sneaky shot at our smallish QB... just the reality of the game).