• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Frank Reich: Bryce Young’s command was “10 out of 10” on first day of OTAs

poundaway

3 hours ago, poundaway said:

OTAs have gotten going on Monday with No. 1 pick Bryce Young taking the majority of first-team snaps at the Panthers’ first spring practice.

Head coach Frank Reich was complimentary of all three quarterbacks on the roster in his post-practice press conference, saying Young, Andy Dalton, and Matt Corral displayed strong decision-making and ball placement.

But this board says Corral can't be developed and will just take snaps away from Young. Strange. 

26 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I'm liking our QB room.  Young is the QB our staff wanted to lead this team, Dalton is a decent vet/solid backup, and Corral is a young project QB with potential.  I hope we keep all 3.

With teams now being allowed to carry a 3rd qb on game day as a 47th active player it should be a no brainer. He's going to know the play book, we traded away a pick for him, we wouldn't get anything worthwhile in trading him away. I imagine he's going to play a lot of the preseason game snaps since Dalton won't really need them. Curious is Bryce will get more preseason time since he's a rookie or if they'll just let him play a half of game 2 like most other QB1's play now. 

• Pie 6

3 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Young is the #1 QB my man.

Why are you so focused on Matt Corral development. That indeed is strange...

I'm not. I'm pointing out how stupid the Corral haters are.  There was never a good reason to cut him, but I bet you wanted that. 

• Beer 2

1 minute ago, rebelrouser said:

I'm not. I'm pointing out how stupid the Corral haters are.  There was never a good reason to cut him, but I bet you wanted that. 

To be fair he looked bad in the limited time he played. Out of sight out of mind.

I wouldn't call them haters more like non-believers...

7 hours ago, rebelrouser said:

But this board says Corral can't be developed and will just take snaps away from Young. Strange. 

Not strange. 

You have a finite number of snaps. Those limited snaps can be divided any way you choose to prepare the number one pick in the draft (whom you mortgaged a meaningful chunk of future draft capital to get) for his rookie season as you anticipate he will be the face of your franchise for the foreseeable future. Every snap that goes to Corral is a snap of preparation Young will not have.

It's not that Corral can't be developed, it's that organizational priorities rightly regard developing him as a low enough priority in the grand scheme of things that his share of the finite snaps should be trivial. None of this is any comment on Corral's potential beyond the obvious fact he's a third round drafted qb in his second year who looked god awful in the only action he's seen to date. HIs ceiling and odds of success are extremely low compared to Young, therefore he shouldn't be invested in through finite snaps.

Arguments to the contrary fly in the face of the weight of historical evidence regarding later round drafted qb's vs number one picks. No one is a guaranteed success, but the number one pick has far greater odds than any random third rounder, so that's where your focus is as an organization.

Nothing strange to see here.

• Pie 3

12 hours ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

Not strange. 

You have a finite number of snaps. Those limited snaps can be divided any way you choose to prepare the number one pick in the draft (whom you mortgaged a meaningful chunk of future draft capital to get) for his rookie season as you anticipate he will be the face of your franchise for the foreseeable future. Every snap that goes to Corral is a snap of preparation Young will not have.

It's not that Corral can't be developed, it's that organizational priorities rightly regard developing him as a low enough priority in the grand scheme of things that his share of the finite snaps should be trivial. None of this is any comment on Corral's potential beyond the obvious fact he's a third round drafted qb in his second year who looked god awful in the only action he's seen to date. HIs ceiling and odds of success are extremely low compared to Young, therefore he shouldn't be invested in through finite snaps.

Arguments to the contrary fly in the face of the weight of historical evidence regarding later round drafted qb's vs number one picks. No one is a guaranteed success, but the number one pick has far greater odds than any random third rounder, so that's where your focus is as an organization.

Nothing strange to see here.

No QB plays 100% of the snaps in the offseason.  That's why there's a 1st team offense, 2nd team offense, 3rd team offense, etc.  It's not like we're going to be putting Bryce back there running plays with the 3rd string o-line/receivers who probably aren't even making the roster at the end of the day.

Once Bryce officially pulls away from Dalton in the QB1 "competition" and starts taking the dominant share of snaps with the 1st team offense, then it'd be more a case of taking snaps from Dalton and giving a significant portion of those to Corral.  Dalton is a 12-year vet, he doesn't need all those back-up snaps.

• Pie 2