• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Frank Reich: Bryce Young’s command was “10 out of 10” on first day of OTAs

poundaway

one beneficial thing that could happen from a percentage of snaps in offseason practices going to someone other than Young, and this is probably uniquely true for Young, is that he will be able to see what the offense is doing from another perspective which will help him notice things that work well or, more importantly, work better when he is back on the field. 

granted, those instances need to be limited, but they will still be beneficial. he needs, though to be able to work with this OL and these receivers, TEs and RBs to get to a point of complete trust in each other. no doubt this will be more experienced during game situations, but the more trust in each other they have heading into week 1, the more likely it is for us to have success right out of the gate.

one thing to consider, though, in letting someone else take reps is to help ensure that his arm doesn't get worn out in a potentially much longer NFL season than he had in college. i think this is probably the case for all rookie QBs, though. it's going to take an adjustment to get used to a more rigorous and lengthy football season. you need to make sure he's still got gas when/if you get to the playoffs.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Any snaps that Corral gets this pre-season will be more than he had last pre-season. I hope Corral succeeds one day, but his road to NFL Starter got 10x harder the moment he was drafted under Matt Rhule, and then another 10x harder the moment he got hurt.

Agree 100%.  And 2 things have happened this week that will help Corral immensely.  1) The rule change to allow the 3rd QB to be active (but not count against the 47- man active limit) and 2) Cutting Eason to ensure Corral gets more practice reps.

These are moves done by a coaching staff that is actually interested in Corral's development.  Corral is getting as fair of a shake as he could ask for given the circumstances (i.e. new coaching staff, drafting a QB at #1, signing a veteran in Dalton).

We didn't draft Young to not be the starter, but Corral can still have a good career as a backup (or more should the situation present itself).  Backups are certainly not valued less having the 17th game.

Every QB (or any other player for that matter), comes into the NFL after a lifetime of being the one of the best on the field up until that point.  And then all of a sudden are you not the best player, you're not starting, and then you have to worry of you will even get a roster spot or have a place on the team.

It's a mental adjustment every NFL player has to make once they realize that this isn't high school or college.  Unless you are a top draft pick, you don't have too many opportunities to prove your worth, and you have to capitalize on the few opportunities you do have.

Last season was a cluster for Corral, almost none of which was his fault.  He needs to mentally dump all of that and to capitalize on the opportunity this preseason.  If he does, everything will work out both for him and the team.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 4

44 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Rhule was an idiot even by CFB standards.

Watch him flail around and fail at Nebraska.

In retrospect, I'm still baffled by how Tepper fell for his act.

Beyond his opening press conference (which was objectively good), Rhule was obviously in over his head from the start.  I'm sure the Covid weirdness added to the dysfunction, but it was certainly dysfunctional his entire tenure.

Never once did it actually seem like there was a strategic plan, even though that was talked about ad-nauseum.  

Rhule has had success at the college level, but honestly, after watching his awkward and cringe-worthy pressers, it's hard to see how that was even possible.

He's just not someone I can imagine players wanting to play for.  Pure and simple.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

No QB plays 100% of the snaps in the offseason.  That's why there's a 1st team offense, 2nd team offense, 3rd team offense, etc.  It's not like we're going to be putting Bryce back there running plays with the 3rd string o-line/receivers who probably aren't even making the roster at the end of the day.

Once Bryce officially pulls away from Dalton in the QB1 "competition" and starts taking the dominant share of snaps with the 1st team offense, then it'd be more a case of taking snaps from Dalton and giving a significant portion of those to Corral.  Dalton is a 12-year vet, he doesn't need all those back-up snaps.

Dalton's a 12 year veteran on a new team, in a new offense, with receivers he's never thrown to. He needs the snaps to develop timing and chemistry with his new teammates. Dalton is likely to see the field at some point this season. Corral should only see the field in a worst case disaster scenario (any scenario where you're playing your day 2, second year 3rd string qb is by definition a disaster).

This team has a new coaching staff, rookie qb and FA backup that are both new to the team, and multiple FA receivers expected to be mainstays. Every available snap should be invested in preparing said group, who are going to be on the field, to play together.

But go ahead, keep insisting that it's a good idea to invest finite snaps in a longshot whose odds of ever making a meaningful contribution to an NFL team history says are minute at best.

While we're at it, let's bring back David Gettis. I really don't think he got a fair shot the first time around. He might have something to contribute. We should get him a uniform and some reps.

1 hour ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

Dalton's a 12 year veteran on a new team, in a new offense, with receivers he's never thrown to. He needs the snaps to develop timing and chemistry with his new teammates. Dalton is likely to see the field at some point this season. Corral should only see the field in a worst case disaster scenario (any scenario where you're playing your day 2, second year 3rd string qb is by definition a disaster).

This team has a new coaching staff, rookie qb and FA backup that are both new to the team, and multiple FA receivers expected to be mainstays. Every available snap should be invested in preparing said group, who are going to be on the field, to play together.

But go ahead, keep insisting that it's a good idea to invest finite snaps in a longshot whose odds of ever making a meaningful contribution to an NFL team history says are minute at best.

While we're at it, let's bring back David Gettis. I really don't think he got a fair shot the first time around. He might have something to contribute. We should get him a uniform and some reps.

I think you're being really silly about this. Dalton is here to assist in the transition as a veteran presence for a first year rookie and another young QB who may as well developmentally be in his rookie season too considering all he missed after that early injury in preseason. What Andy Dalton is not here to do is start for any meaningful amount of time. In his last start he failed to outduel Sam Darnold for a win in a game where Sam finished with one of the bottom 10 passer ratings of all time. He has zero future here playing meaningful snaps. If we can get anything out of Matt Corral even in a backup role this is the coaching staff to do that and there is no reason to waste opportunities on Dalton over him. This really shouldn't be debatable.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, frankw said:

I think you're being really silly about this. Dalton is here to assist in the transition as a veteran presence for a first year rookie and another young QB who may as well developmentally be in his rookie season too considering all he missed after that early injury in preseason. What Andy Dalton is not here to do is start for any meaningful amount of time. In his last start he failed to outduel Sam Darnold for a win in a game where Sam finished with one of the bottom 10 passer ratings of all time. He has zero future here playing meaningful snaps. If we can get anything out of Matt Corral even in a backup role this is the coaching staff to do that and there is no reason to waste opportunities on Dalton over him. This really shouldn't be debatable.

And yet it is. 

I am of the opinion if Young can't play for any reason at any point in the season, the coaching staff is more likely to put Dalton as a 12 year veteran in than Corral as a second year guy showing no discernable promise based on his game snaps to date. No one wants to start Dalton, but if Young goes down, I'm pretty confident Dalton is the one getting the nod.

Let's both hope it doesn't happen, but let's be clear about what I'm saying. There is no scenario in which Corral sees the field this season that isn't awful, and the situation with this franchise having just drafted a QB number one overall wouldn't be a good situation for any developmental prospect like Corral. His best shot would be on a team with an established franchise qb that didn't need it's backup to groom the future face of the franchise, and could afford to take someone like Corral and bring him along over time.

At the end of the day we can throw the "you're being really silly about this" ball back and forth all we want. I think folks who seem invested in the notion Corral has any significant chance of paying off for this team should PM me about some great deals I have on real estate in Sasketchewan. 

Or the winning numbers to next week's lottery. I've got those too.

4 hours ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

You realize that in the scenario you’re alluding to where Dalton is playing this year, he’ll be playing with the starters…right? Whether we’re talking about him being the Week 1 starter, or coming in if Bryce gets injured, he would be playing with the starting receivers in the regular season. So your point that he needs to be prepared and build chemistry with the new FA receivers, you’re talking about the 1st team offense…in which case you’re advocating for him to take snaps away from Bryce, not from Corral who is playing with the 2nd and 3rd team offenses. And I could’ve sworn just a second ago you were against taking snaps away from Bryce.  “Every snap that goes to Corral is a snap of preparation Young will not have”. Just because you’re giving them to Dalton instead of Corral, you’re still taking “snaps of preparation” away from Young in preparing Dalton.

Even all that aside: if you want to argue there’s like a 5% chance that Corral will amount to anything on this team…I’ll argue that there’s a 3% chance we look back regrettably at the conclusion of the season like “Dammit, if only we gave Andy Dalton more snaps in training camp!!!”. 

Also last thing: if you don’t want us wasting any snaps on Corral in training camp, then I’m guessing you’re in favor of outright cutting him right (otherwise why waste a roster spot on him)? And you want us to carry exactly two QBs on this 90 man roster? Is there a single other team in the league doing that? You want Bryce and Dalton to split the entire preseason between the two of them? You’re acting like you are the one with the common sense position here and the rest of us are crazy for wanting to give our 3rd string QB snaps in training camp, when your position is the one that defies all league norms.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, MasterAwesome said:

You realize that in the scenario you’re alluding to where Dalton is playing this year, he’ll be playing with the starters…right? Whether we’re talking about him being the Week 1 starter, or coming in if Bryce gets injured, he would be playing with the starting receivers in the regular season. So your point that he needs to be prepared and build chemistry with the new FA receivers, you’re talking about the 1st team offense…in which case you’re advocating for him to take snaps away from Bryce, not from Corral who is playing with the 2nd and 3rd team offenses. And I could’ve sworn just a second ago you were against taking snaps away from Bryce.  “Every snap that goes to Corral is a snap of preparation Young will not have”. Just because you’re giving them to Dalton instead of Corral, you’re still taking “snaps of preparation” away from Young in preparing Dalton.

Even all that aside: if you want to argue there’s like a 5% chance that Corral will amount to anything on this team…I’ll argue that there’s a 3% chance we look back regrettably at the conclusion of the season like “Dammit, if only we gave Andy Dalton more snaps in training camp!!!”. 

Also last thing: if you don’t want us wasting any snaps on Corral in training camp, then I’m guessing you’re in favor of outright cutting him right (otherwise why waste a roster spot on him)? And you want us to carry exactly two QBs on this 90 man roster? Is there a single other team in the league doing that? You want Bryce and Dalton to split the entire preseason between the two of them? You’re acting like you are the one with the common sense position here and the rest of us are crazy for wanting to give our 3rd string QB snaps in training camp, when your position is the one that defies all league norms.

Let me clarify:

Forget the 90 man roster, it's irrelevant because 53 is what you can carry in the regular season. What I'm advocating is that Young and Dalton are almost guaranteed to take all the snaps in a non train derailment this looks like the Rhule era season. Virtually all snaps, regardless of 1st, 2nd or 3rd team (which are not btw whole clear cut units the way you're implying. Divide 50 in half, 25 roster spots for offense, how many ways does 11 divide into that number? Right.) should be taken by the 2 QB's on the roster expected to actually play, with Young getting the vast majority of 1st team snaps

Now let's go back to your 90 man roster before you go on about preseason, training camp etc. 37 is the difference between 90 and 53. 37 guys go through camp who will not be on the active roster. Half that number is 18 or 19, take your pick. This is what I'll grant: If you want Corral to go scrimmage with those not quite 20 guys who won't be on the team on opening day, knock yourself out, I'm fine with it. We know who they are. How many guys never expected to make the roster show out and win a spot each year? Maybe one, in a crazy year two, but often zero. These guys are Corral's practice buddies. He can have all the snaps with them he wants. But as far as players who might actually see the field on game day, I want Young and Dalton taking all the snaps with those groups, never mind your shell game of trying to convince me Dalton would be the one stealing snaps from Young. How that ratio breaks down isn't the point. The point is Corral is a long shot, we've known this since watching him flail around last season.  He belongs with the other long shots.

I'm not buying into the notion that because a guy was drafted in the third round in a year when our team had nothing worth looking at in the QB room, that investing in developing him with finite resources should be any sort of priority for the team when we just traded up to the top pick to get the guy expected to be our rock for the next decade.

Lastly I am neither for nor against cutting him. Let the coaches go through the evaluation process and decide if he belongs on the roster or not. I have nothing in particular against the young man. My argument is about proper priorities for the team given the historical performance of players like Corral in the past. If you're looking for something I'm emotionally invested in, ask for my thoughts on Shakespeare in Love winning Best Picture the year Saving Private Ryan was nominated, you'll get an earful, but Matt Corral himself I neither like nor dislike. It's the situation I have an opinion on, not so much the player.