• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So long to the kickoff

ncfan

4 minutes ago, RJK said:

RIP to the fringe special teamers that’ll lose a roster spot and the guys like smitty who proved they deserve a bigger role by being a standout  on STs 

Nothing says that a returner can't bring it out..fall asleep and someone will have a 100 yd TD.

• Pie 1

fair catches are supposed to eliminate collisions, etc.  By adding a max of 24 yards to any fair catch opportunity, we're going to see fair catches on almost every kick.

There's no way to pin a team back at their goal line to do a 75-yard 2 minute drill with no timeouts left to get within reasonable field goal range.  Now it'll be a super-exciting 45-yard adventure. 

yee-hawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

49 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Can’t kick out of bounds on a kickoff or they get it at the 40. (Ask John Kasay)

Show a little respect,We wouldn't have made it to the superbowl without that man, most of Jake's game winning drives were finished off by Kasay, and kicking game winning kicks isn't easy , ask Eddie Pinero 

And like those few extra yards would have made a difference to Tom Brady and Wes Welker against our gassed D

Edited by Day1PanthersFan
  • Poo 1

56 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Might as well get rid of kicks entirely and change the name of the game to Passball. The National Passball League. 4th down? Elect to give the ball to the other team whatever the average of a current punt is. 50 yards away or whatever. 

do people not realize that they intentionally sabotage things they’d like to do away with so exactly this type of fan throws up their hands and goes “you may as well just get rid of it!”

26 minutes ago, KillerKat said:

so did everyone just get murdered on kickoffs last year?

I was incredulous about it when they first started stripping back kickoffs, but yeah, studies do show there's a wildly disproportionate amount of injuries on kickoffs.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Wes21 said:

I like this change personally.  Now I can confidently take a break from the game after every score without having to peak back at the kickoff...and then go back to the commercial break.  Knowing that it isn't being returned will save me some effort.

soft 

12 minutes ago, Growl said:

do people not realize that they intentionally sabotage things they’d like to do away with so exactly this type of fan throws up their hands and goes “you may as well just get rid of it!”

I mean, neither I nor other fans have any power over the rules, so it’s not like when kids do a bad job at a chore so parents will stop giving them the chore.  And I was obviously being over dramatic for comedic purposes. If they want to get rid of kickoffs they will do it regardless of fans’ overreactions.  They’ve proven they do what they want no matter what fans think of it and fans have proven they’ll keep shelling out the dollars no matter how badly Goodell affects the game.