• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2023 Off-Season Thread

PLD wants to play for the Canadians, I am not sure he would even sign an offer sheet to come to Carolina - he may want to play it out in Winnipeg and become a UFA so he can sign with Montreal.  I know that sounds kind of weird, but for some players they want it all and as long as he doesn't fall off a cliff he'll be able to go to the Canadians if they have the $$$ which I think they would make it work.  Just my 2 cents.

I think Daniels exit will be handled in a more subtle way than him being fired.  He'll be a special advisor or something like that and will be replaced.  Would Justin Williams be a good assistant and overhaul our PP?

I think Staal was planning on at least one more year from his quotes this past year.  We'll see how it all shakes out in the offseason.  Proud of the Canes for making it this far so banged up.  I certainly didn't think they would get past the 2nd round - completely healthy I would be disappointed, but we were far from it.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

36 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Could also go for the full retool and see what we can get for Necas and Teravainen, which probably wouldn’t be much.

I really think we need another scorer and another Martinook only, I would hate to see a major retool.

• Beer 1

7 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Could also go for the full retool and see what we can get for Necas and Teravainen, which probably wouldn’t be much.

Nah. Necas was a beast in the regular season.  Once Svech went down he clearly was trying to do too much. Our guys are fine. Just need a couple more pieces. 

• Beer 1

7 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Disagree. If we have svech we blank Florida instead. What we need to do is stop going for the old vets on 4 and make it younger faster line. We need to give Aho a feed man, whether it be TT or somebody else. It really frustrates me that our top line was so god damn out of sync for the last 3 games of this series. Aho‘s line mates just not able to keep up and on the same level as him. Maybe they will come with a little more experience for Jarvy. I dunno.

Also for the record TT yet again proved he is one of the most finesse shots on this team… when he actually shoots the puck.

I frankly think this series was on rod more than the players. He didn’t give them a chance to play aggressive offense, he kept them too worried about the defensive part of our game. We need to move on from Jeff Daniel’s, sorry I know you like your guys rod but he’s one of the biggest reasons we haven’t made it to the SC so far in your tenure. 

Edited by Harbingers
  • Pie 1
  • Flames 2

16 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

Saw some people saying we should rebuild. Maybe we should or at least a major retooling. 

No. This team has consistently made the playoffs despite adversity’s every single year. We just need to retool a few lines. Namely 4. I don’t want to see a Stepan(vet) stas(vet)/ flavor of the day line again. Not knocking Stepan or Stas, I think they are excellent players for what they are worth now. But we need a fast physical young 4th line. We have too much good talent down in the AHL/KHL/etc to not bring them up and let them get a full training camp/season under their belt. I want us to let Pono anchor and control that line. Drury/Pono/? 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, Harbingers said:

No. This team has consistently made the playoffs despite adversity’s every single year. We just need to retool a few lines. Namely 4. I don’t want to see a Stepan(vet) stas(vet)/ flavor of the day line again. Not knocking Stepan or Stas, I think they are excellent players for what they are worth now. But we need a fast physical young 4th line. We have too much good talent down in the AHL/KHL/etc to not bring them up and let them get a full training camp/season under their belt. I want us to let Pono anchor and control that line. Drury/Pono/? 

Herein lies the problem with Rod - he doesn't trust the young guys until he does.  I think that's why we rolled out that "old" 4th line the last couple of years.  He wants to make sure that line is defensively sound and I think he feels like the younger guys aren't great in that regard. 

He has to change his perspective and let the youngins figure things out during training camp/preseason/early part of the year.  If there is a glaring problem then maybe have a vet you trust to come in, otherwise let your rookies play.  A speedy 4th line would be beneficial, maybe they also bring more of a scoring threat too.

• Pie 1

I don’t think there’s enough young quality in this years UFA class to go for a full rebuild.

If PLD is dead set on playing in Montreal then there’s no point in offer sheeting him. How would everyone feel about offer sheeting Meier?

Assuming he signed something in the $9M-$10M range, we’d have to give NJ two first rounders, a second rounder, and a third rounder as compensation.

Edited by MillionDollarCam
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, MillionDollarCam said:

I don’t think there’s enough young quality in this years UFA class to go for a full rebuild.

If PLD is dead set on playing in Montreal then there’s no point in offer sheeting him. How would everyone feel about offer sheeting Meier?

Assuming he signed something in the $9M-$10M range, we’d have to give NJ two first rounders, a second rounder, and a third rounder as compensation.

We shouldn’t be giving up any first rounders this draft, most of the hockey folks I listen to say it’s the deepest first round in a very long time. 

• Beer 1

17 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

I’m fine with Staal coming back as a 4C and I definitely want Fast back. I’m also fine with Andersen and Raanta coming back because I don’t truly trust Kochetkov yet.

But I’d 1000% offer sheet PLD and try to sign a physical presence like Carson Soucy.

Svechnikov - Aho - Teravainen

Pacioretty - PLD - Necas

Noesen - Kotkaniemi - Jarvis

Martinook - Staal - Fast

Drury

Burns - Slavin

Skjei - Pesce

Soucy - Chatfield

Andersen

Raanta

Having a healthy Svechnikov, Pacioretty, and en elite 2C in PLD would probably put us over the hump.

Andersen needs to go. 1) He can’t stay healthy and 2) He chokes when the game is on the line. 

I like Pacioretty but I’d let him go and get a healthier player to replace him. Odds are, he will have the same injury again.

Raanta is OK as a backup but we need to get a much better starting goal tender. 

The front office DEFINITELY needs to get aggressive and start signing some of these players that will be FA’s next year. Has anybody looked it up? Almost the whole team is up for FA next year!  Who does that?

• Pie 1