• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2023 Off-Season Thread

Id like to resign Anderson and try to pick up Jarry too and Kuch has to sign a 2 way contract. He is nowhere near to starting or backing up in the NHL yet. Anderson/Jarry can be the goalies this year with Jarry/Kuch the following year. Then hopefully Kuch and whoever the year after that.

Edited by KillerKat

7 hours ago, KillerKat said:

Id like to resign Anderson and try to pick up Jarry too and Kuch has to sign a 2 way contract. He is nowhere near to starting or backing up in the NHL yet. Anderson/Jarry can be the goalies this year with Jarry/Kuch the following year. Then hopefully Kuch and whoever the year after that.

Anderson/Jarry  would be a good combination.

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, KillerKat said:

Kochetkov signed a four year extension at $2M a year this past year, that contract can’t be altered to a two-way contract. He is however waivers exempt. The Canes could send him to the AHL but $900K of Kochetkov’s $2M cap hit would be on Carolina’s books.

Edited by MillionDollarCam
  • Pie 2

Necas is a front-office favorite and he's not going anywhere after having a career season. With 71 points this season, it far eclipsed his previous best of 41 points. Unless someone offers up a top 4 D-man and a top-6 center for him, he'll be a Cane next season. There aren't many 71-point centers out there making $3M a year.

Andersen on a 1-year deal with Kochetkov as a backup has a little risk involved as the Canes will likely have to play him in stretches when (not if) Andersen gets hurt once or twice during the season.

Staal coming back will save some money as the Canes won't have to sign a grind-line center off the FA market, which could easily cost them another $1 - $2M a year. Stall has been sitting on a $6M salary for 10 years now. I dare you to find me a checking line center with face-off percentage, PK responsibility, 35 points a year, and could wear the C for less than $6M.

4 centers next season: Aho, Necas, Staal, Kotkaniemi.

Edited by Anybodyhome
  • Pie 2

42 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Kochetkov signed a four year extension at $2M a year this past year, that contract can’t be altered to a two-way contract. He is however waivers exempt. The Canes could send him to the AHL but $900K of Kochetkov’s $2M cap hit would be on Carolina’s books.

o yeah forgot he already signed, fug! 

Glad he is waivers exempt though. We are going to have to keep him in the AHL for another year. He just isnt ready yet.

1 hour ago, Rocky Davis said:

You think Necas is ready to be Center?  I think if he plays center his point production falls off. 

Just a hunch.

I think there are a couple interchangeable pieces there. Put Necas on Aho's wing and make Jarvis 2C or leave both Jarvy and Necas on the wings and find a 2C (seen PLD mentioned, but...) on the market.

1 hour ago, Harbingers said:

After look at the roster more completely. We really should try and extend Chatfield this offseason then have to worry about him on top of everyone else next year too. 

Gonna depend. Chatfield is 100% replaceable. Is he the best we can get for the value as a bottom pair defenseman? If there's anybody better at roughly the same price, you have to entertain that or he has to come in a hair cheaper than he'd maybe like. I don't view him as a must-keep yet. 

Though I do like the guy and would be kinda bummed if he left.

1 hour ago, lightsout said:

Gonna depend. Chatfield is 100% replaceable. Is he the best we can get for the value as a bottom pair defenseman? If there's anybody better at roughly the same price, you have to entertain that or he has to come in a hair cheaper than he'd maybe like. I don't view him as a must-keep yet. 

I disagree. Chatfield is a star about to blossom.  Keep him at all costs.  

51 minutes ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

I disagree. Chatfield is a star about to blossom.  Keep him at all costs.  

Really? I mean his +/- is impressive in the regular season but he absolutely disappeared in the post season. His impact was extraordinarily minimal which is to be expected being a 3rd pairing guy but still. He's good, but 3rd pair dmen are not exactly hot commodities. Do you see him becoming a 2nd pair guy?

17 minutes ago, lightsout said:

Really? I mean his +/- is impressive in the regular season but he absolutely disappeared in the post season. His impact was extraordinarily minimal which is to be expected being a 3rd pairing guy but still. He's good, but 3rd pair dmen are not exactly hot commodities. Do you see him becoming a 2nd pair guy?

This was his first full year in the NHL. regular season was great. Playoffs will come with experience.  Couple that with his love of the team it’s a no brainer.  

2nd team right now is Pece and skeji. Those two aren’t going anywhere with Burns and Slavin as 1s. This is an embarrassment of richest having him at  the 3rd. I honestly think Ghost held him back. Chat man do will be a star in this league.  Keep him at the the 3 until one of the 4 Dman moves. 

Edited by Panthers Fan 69
  • Pie 1

14 hours ago, lightsout said:

I'll help you out.

Do you want to replace him to a) save money, b) get a "better" defenseman, c) more offense?

Saving money? Nope. The bottom salary is $750k, so that doesn't work. "Better" defenseman? Oh, sure, those are always available, just open your checkbook. More offense? Chatfield had the highest point total of any bottom pair d-man in the league.

And, he's under contract for through next season. His contract may be more of an issue after next season if he has another very good season like he did this year.