• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2023 Off-Season Thread

12 hours ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

This was his first full year in the NHL. regular season was great. Playoffs will come with experience.  Couple that with his love of the team it’s a no brainer.  

2nd team right now is Pece and skeji. Those two aren’t going anywhere with Burns and Slavin as 1s. This is an embarrassment of richest having him at  the 3rd. I honestly think Ghost held him back. Chat man do will be a star in this league.  Keep him at the the 3 until one of the 4 Dman moves. 

Skeji can take a hike.

People need to start getting comfortable with the fact their favorite players may not be here in a couple years. If a player out performs their contract then they get a raise, it’s as simple as that. Most of our guys have out performed their contracts which is why some of them won’t be on the team in a couple years.

It’s also important to keep age in mind. Our team doesn’t give out the big 5 and 6 year extensions to 30 year old players that other teams do.

Edited by MillionDollarCam
  • Pie 1

2 hours ago, Anybodyhome said:

I'll help you out.

Do you want to replace him to a) save money, b) get a "better" defenseman, c) more offense?

Saving money? Nope. The bottom salary is $750k, so that doesn't work. "Better" defenseman? Oh, sure, those are always available, just open your checkbook. More offense? Chatfield had the highest point total of any bottom pair d-man in the league.

And, he's under contract for through next season. His contract may be more of an issue after next season if he has another very good season like he did this year.

Fair points. Makes sense.

1 hour ago, KillerKat said:

A players dont suck dick in the playoffs. You are delusional.

So by your standards Aho should be gone  based on his ECF play.  

These guys kicked absolute ass in the regular season. That’s what go us here. There were game the Skeji was the best player by a mile. I watched it live 42 times in the regular season. 

Im not even close to delusional. I’m being realistic. We get worse without Skeji. 

Don’t go to child  mode. This team is good. Very good. 

Edited by Panthers Fan 69

Canes numbers as of today:

PROJECTED CAP HIT Tooltip : $59,376,917
PROJECTED LTIR USED Tooltip : $0
PROJECTED CAP SPACE Tooltip : $24,123,083
CURRENT CAP SPACE Tooltip : $24,123,083
DEADLINE CAP SPACE Tooltip : $112,172,336
TODAY'S CAP HIT Tooltip : $59,376,917
ROSTER SIZE: 17/23
CONTRACTS: 28/50
RESERVE LIST: 52/90
INJURIES: 1 (Svech)

Andersen: Last salary $4.5M. If the Canes want to keep him, they'll need to pony up $5M, at least. Or, do you keep Raanta for $3M?
Staal: He's been on a $6M salary for 10 years now. Think he'll stay another year or 2 for the same?
Stastny & Stepan: Rees, Suzuki and Ponomarev are all under contract. Do these 3 get first look at replacing the 2 vets?
Coghlan & LaJoie: Both RFA's; and neither, in my mind, have shown me they can break into the top 6 blue line. Coghlan was at $762k, LaJoie at $750k.
DeHaan & Ghostisbehere: DeHaan made $850k and Ghost was at $4.5M. Ghost is a tough call. He's a 40 point per year player, but he's getting paid like a top 4 blue-liner. But, if the Canes let him go, either DeHaan or LaJoie are now a necessary keep as the only left-handed d-men on the roster.

LW UFA's with some grit, will drop the gloves if need be and who pique my interest: Conor Sheary, Tyler Motte, Ryan Donato, Michael Bunting

On 5/27/2023 at 8:26 PM, lightsout said:

Gonna depend. Chatfield is 100% replaceable. Is he the best we can get for the value as a bottom pair defenseman? If there's anybody better at roughly the same price, you have to entertain that or he has to come in a hair cheaper than he'd maybe like. I don't view him as a must-keep yet. 

Though I do like the guy and would be kinda bummed if he left.

I really like Chatfield and I thought he was one of our most consistent D-men this year.  I'd actually list him as our 3rd best defender last year.  He gives us good depth scoring, and I just didn't see many defensive breakdowns.  

• Pie 2

On 5/28/2023 at 6:59 PM, Panthers Fan 69 said:

So by your standards Aho should be gone  based on his ECF play.  

These guys kicked absolute ass in the regular season. That’s what go us here. There were game the Skeji was the best player by a mile. I watched it live 42 times in the regular season. 

Im not even close to delusional. I’m being realistic. We get worse without Skeji. 

Don’t go to child  mode. This team is good. Very good. 

I don't think Aho should be gone, but he makes a lot of money and the playoffs is where he needs to produce.  I think he's capped out on potential.  I obviously think he's a great player, but he needs to be on a line with some heavy players in order to see success in the playoffs.  

I think this coming year is the year that Svech should finally be the unquestioned best player on the team.

Aho is a great player to have during the regular season.  He will help get you to the playoffs, but he won't put you over the hump once there.  His game just doesn't translate to playoff hockey the way it does in the regular season.  Same for Necas.

I thought Jarvis and Fast had the best playoffs out of the skaters.

• Pie 1